Author Topic: Northern Iowa Week  (Read 36526 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Northern Iowa Week
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »
Stop trying to trump everyone Kent State. Post less often. We have some good posts about UNI game & you have to bring up some crap. Yesterday is over, Saturday begins the season. Post Albany stuff in the Albany thread.

Also, last time I checked a football game was 4-quarters. Also need I remind you that Albany lost in the 1st-round to Stony Brook, in a lucky pairing of the two worst teams in the tourney last year?

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »
"great comments. We have a huge three-game stretch. Not to mention that SIU & SDSU had huge wins yesterday. It is unlikely that we can go unblemished in 2012 (especially after yesterday). However, of these next three games (all top-10 teams) ...this is the only home game & best chance at a win. "

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
is this the year we finally beat UNI? I hope so....I think I was at the last home game we beat them was it 2008? In that game the YSU punter had a 80 yard put to place UNI deep in there own endzone.  Geez, this a huge game to set the tone for the conference....
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:49:21 PM »
UNI is very good.  They scored 38 points combined in those games vs. big 10.  Should have beat Wisconsin.   They have our number and will be ready to play us.  Our defense will need a much better performance especially when it comes to the pass.  Looks like UNI is doing more passing than running so look for them to try to burn our secondary.  YSU needs a few things to go our way:

1.  Huge crowd with at least 20k in the stands all standing and screaming all game.  The crowd needs to be the loudest it has ever been.  The media and Ath. dept needs to hype this game starting Today.

2. Offensive balance and no stupid play calling.  Keep your assignment and stick to the plan. Control the clock to keep the ball out of UNI's hands and away from picking apart our secondary.

3. Pressure on the QB to help out  the DB's.  We need  to blitz more.

4. Special teams need to be solid and do not allow big returns. 

Go Guins and beat UNI!

Good luck there!!!  Fans really don't know how to cheer at YSU games - lots of hand sitting, nobody getting fired up...they need to watch the big schools and see how it's done!  The only stadium in the country where you get yelled at by the police and other fans for standing up.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
is this the year we finally beat UNI? I hope so....I think I was at the last home game we beat them was it 2008? In that game the YSU punter had a 80 yard put to place UNI deep in there own endzone.  Geez, this a huge game to set the tone for the conference....

Haven't beaten them since 2000

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
Ha!  I was a little off.....2000 is right cause I was still in school at YSU.  Wow, it's been way to long......
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
The biggest problem on our football team is the complete lack of a pass rush from the front four.  The Albany quarterback was real comfortable back there for most of the game.  I am also displeased with the play of our secondary, but no secondary can lock down receivers beyond a certain time frame.  I saw little or no blitzing today, but we better start to do that next week....a lot.  Northern Iowa also has an inexperienced quarterback, but he has three times the talent of the kid from Albany.  Let him get comfortable and it will be a very miserable night.

Re the DL, please keep in mind two starters did not play.   There is no "lock-down" ever by YSU, they play the soft zones and keep the ball in front of them  , at least that is the concept they are going for.  We disguise man coverage and keep dropping back into the zone.

I think the blitzing has been kept under wraps----we should definitely see it next week.

Don't like the lack of physicality in our LB play.......We are used to physical linebackers here!  They are fast though.

I trust Tresey and the other D coaches though.....if they feel zone is the best way to play pass D and if they like speed vs size in our LB who am I to argue.  They have figured out the talent level and have designed the D to play to it.

I hope we see the blitz next week.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 07:52:32 PM »
Peteonastick,
I agree the fans need to worry about cheering instead of complaining we stand up and yell.  I heard some fans left this past Saturday because the section I sit in was too loud and we were standing and cheering.  Those fans need to stay home because we don't need them.   Standing, cheering, a few swear words are part of the game.   Go Guins and yell like hell saturday.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »

Good luck there!!!  Fans really don't know how to cheer at YSU games - lots of hand sitting, nobody getting fired up...they need to watch the big schools and see how it's done!  The only stadium in the country where you get yelled at by the police and other fans for standing up.

GO GUINS

I sit near our student section and think it is a crock how the cops stand there all game and watch them. I want them to taunt the other team, certainly there is a line they should not cross, but it seems we want them to be choir boys.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
Peteonastick,
I agree the fans need to worry about cheering instead of complaining we stand up and yell.  I heard some fans left this past Saturday because the section I sit in was too loud and we were standing and cheering.  Those fans need to stay home because we don't need them.   Standing, cheering, a few swear words are part of the game.   Go Guins and yell like hell saturday.

This is why I've stayed away for almost 5 years. I came to the Valpo game to see some dear friends (road warriors) and had a great time.  I'm going to give the the ole' Ice Castle another chance  :D

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 08:08:04 AM »
The biggest problem on our football team is the complete lack of a pass rush from the front four.  The Albany quarterback was real comfortable back there for most of the game.  I am also displeased with the play of our secondary, but no secondary can lock down receivers beyond a certain time frame.  I saw little or no blitzing today, but we better start to do that next week....a lot.  Northern Iowa also has an inexperienced quarterback, but he has three times the talent of the kid from Albany.  Let him get comfortable and it will be a very miserable night.

We will need blitz and man coverage int he secondary or we will be picked apart.

Re the DL, please keep in mind two starters did not play.   There is no "lock-down" ever by YSU, they play the soft zones and keep the ball in front of them  , at least that is the concept they are going for.  We disguise man coverage and keep dropping back into the zone.

I think the blitzing has been kept under wraps----we should definitely see it next week.

Don't like the lack of physicality in our LB play.......We are used to physical linebackers here!  They are fast though.

I trust Tresey and the other D coaches though.....if they feel zone is the best way to play pass D and if they like speed vs size in our LB who am I to argue.  They have figured out the talent level and have designed the D to play to it.

I hope we see the blitz next week.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
Gameday in the stadium sucks.  We need to change up the music..etc..the crowd needs to step it up some.  they cheer louder for the free plastic footballs...When I was at Pitt, it felt like a College game in the stands...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
Far as I am concerned this is THE game out of the first 4.  My gut is that Northern Iowa will make us throw, safetys will be in the box.  If there is a time for Hess to be on his A game on the medium to long pass routes, this will be the game.  Those routes will be there all game.  I will expect them to go after the secondary often, they will take shots at the back end of the secondary, our deep coverage is very suspect and the play action seems to hurt us as well.  Our front seven on D will be the key, I think our depth there will show.  We have depth and it shows in the 4th quarter this year as we have dominated that qtr. On O, look for them to stuff the run, this is where Stubbs, and Shaw are big, they are our game changers and can make big plays. I like them to use Pace as a change of Pace as well. If we can get him some touches early, that will keep Cooksie fresh...have to be a homer here...YSU 30-NI 28....
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »
Gameday in the stadium sucks.  We need to change up the music..etc..the crowd needs to step it up some.  they cheer louder for the free plastic footballs...When I was at Pitt, it felt like a College game in the stands...

It feels like a college atmosphere when you are with the traveling fans becuase the traveling fans are the true fanatics.  Somebody on this board, I think it was peteonastik, said he saw a woman crocheting in the stands.  That was simply hilarious.  AS you know, the golden girls used to yell at me and tell me to sit down and I would tell them where to go.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
Our fan base is getting older that's why!!! How awesome would it be to get the whole crowd standing on its feet for a big 3rd or 4th down!?! Too bad that will never happen. It's a shame. I'll never understand why our student section and band is on the away side. Still don't understand that