Author Topic: Scalzo: Fickiesen to leave Women's hoops team  (Read 3716 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: Fickiesen to leave Women's hoops team
« on: April 06, 2012, 06:36:51 AM »
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.ocm

Youngstown

Youngstown State freshman point guard Kelsea Fickiesen has decided to leave the program.

Fickiesen, a West Virginia native who started 15 of 30 games this season, averaged 6.8 points and 1.8 assists per game for the Penguins (10-20).

In a statement released by the university, Fickiesen said the decision was due to her desire to return home and begin work on her pharmacy degree.

“Next year I am planning on attending West Virginia University at Parkersburg to finish prerequisites for WVU and the University of Charleston pharmacy schools,” she said in the statement. “After next year, I will hopefully be accepted into one of the two programs. It was a hard decision to make, but ultimately it came down to what made me happy and focusing on getting the best grades possible. I had a great experience here that I don’t regret. I’m proud of what we accomplished and proud I was a part of it.”

Fickiesen’s departure is a blow to YSU, which is already losing senior guard Macey Nortey to graduation. The Penguins are also losing senior guards Tieara Jones and Kenya Middlebrooks.

That leaves seven players left from this year’s roster, including guard Ashley Lawson, who took a medical redshirt this season. Coach Bob Boldon also signed four players during the early signing period in November.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Scalzo: Fickiesen to leave Women's hoops team
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
This is a devastating loss for Boldon and diminishes any hope of resurrecting the women's program.  She was the best player by the end of the season and an important building block for the future.  This now means that for Boldon's first true recruiting class, one freshman left before the fall semester began, one freshman is now leaving after her first year, and the final freshman suffered a serious shoulder injury in the weight room during pre-season.  Not good.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
Wel,l bad for YSU, probably good for her.

She obviously has her academic plan in order.,
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »
it was best for all parties involved.  she had a bit of trouble balancing Grades and College Basketball from what i was told. her Grades werent that bad just not up to her apparent standards

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »
It takes a strong person from outside the ytown area to deal with playing athletics at YSU.... The dorms are empty Friday afternoon and it can be very lonely.... Atleast thats how it was in the mid 90's... It just amazes me how these people walk away from the opportunity that was given to them...  They have NO loyalty and let outside people effect what I assume was probably a goal and dream.... To play Division 1 athletics and secure a scholarship...