Author Topic: Dont leave the MVFC!  (Read 5082 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Dont leave the MVFC!
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
cmon guys, dont leave the MVFC!

NDSU has restored the power of the conference nationally and from here on out, 3 teams should always get in (cept UNI, they should NEVER get in).

plus, YSU stabbed the beast by 3 points last year.         Stay in the MVFC and lets kick some ass in playoffs again next year  (NDSU, YSU, ISU)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Dont leave the MVFC!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
Always a popular topic here Bison. You see, our primary football rivals are Akron and Kent State. Both of which are 30-minutes (or less) away and both in the MAC. Marshall was a good rival in the 90's and they are in cUSA. It is not that we do not like the Dakota schools ...they add power to the conference. However, the idea of having 2 or 3 away games that we can travel to each year is very appealing to many of us. The ESPN MAC coverage is good, but on weeknights. The championship possibilities will not be there. Many Pros ...and many Cons.

I know this. I went to the last game we played against Kent. There was 32k in the stands ...and most of it wore red & white. The last time we played in Fargo ...there was only a couple of bus/planes worth of YSU fans in attendance (about 200).

Kent took the trophy that day, & now we have no way to get it back. Our other trophy game is against Akron for the the Steel Tire. We have that one in our possession. If we could just play Kent & get the Schwebel's trophy back ...I would be happy.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »

NDSU has restored the power of the conference nationally and from here on out, 3 teams should always get in (cept UNI, they should NEVER get in).

plus, YSU stabbed the beast by 3 points last year.         Stay in the MVFC and lets kick some ass in playoffs again next year  (NDSU, YSU, ISU)
Agree with you about UNI--they do earn their way to the playoffs every year but their probability of winning a NC is about the same as the sun not coming up tomorrow.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »

Hey you made me chuckle with that UNI comment, they have earned the title of team choke.

I am not a real big fan of the league, mostly because no natural rivals. Would rather be playing some of the teams in the MAC but they are too busy thinking that are "Big Time" programs when in fact they are much closer to a top tier 1AA league ( and that is with the extra schollys )
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
well,  I think you just hit on something.

YSU & NDSU to the MAC ?? and takeover that league.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »

Hey you made me chuckle with that UNI comment, they have earned the title of team choke.

I am not a real big fan of the league, mostly because no natural rivals. Would rather be playing some of the teams in the MAC but they are too busy thinking that are "Big Time" programs when in fact they are much closer to a top tier 1AA league ( and that is with the extra schollys )

I should have added that all things considered it is the best option at this time for YSU football.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
Lakesbison,

We are not going anywhere.  We would need to increase our athletic budget by about $10 million to compete in all sports with the fools in the MAC who pretend to be "Big Time" football programs.  That will not happen.  The only chance we might leave the MVFC would be for an opportunity in a football-only CAA, which would reduce travel costs somewhat and give us exposure in the very large east coast markets.  But that is highly unlikely.  Again, we are here to stay.  Looking forward to many years of good football against you guys.