Author Topic: Beating a dead horse, YSU to MAC?  (Read 7918 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beating a dead horse, YSU to MAC?
« on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
According to philly.com, Temple is in talks to return to the Big East to fill WVU's 2012 schedule vacancy.......

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beating a dead horse, YSU to MAC?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:30 PM »
The athletic budgets in the MAC are many millions more than ours.  Yet the MAC is almost always inferior to the Horizon League in basketball.  In football, let's give up the chance to compete for the national championship on the 2nd level so that we can acquire a coveted spot in the famous Clorox Toilet Bowl.  Oh, we would also be playing without any BSC transfers since they all go to FCS programs because of the NCAA "instant-transfer" rule.  Ohioans just don't get it: fans of real FBS powers consider the MAC and the Sunbelt to be a joke, and bad joke at that. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »
The athletic budgets in the MAC are many millions more than ours.  Yet the MAC is almost always inferior to the Horizon League in basketball.  In football, let's give up the chance to compete for the national championship on the 2nd level so that we can acquire a coveted spot in the famous Clorox Toilet Bowl.  Oh, we would also be playing without any BSC transfers since they all go to FCS programs because of the NCAA "instant-transfer" rule.  Ohioans just don't get it: fans of real FBS powers consider the MAC and the Sunbelt to be a joke, and bad joke at that.

I want us to be in a conference, where we can have rivalries. The MAC would give us that. Football battles against, Kent and Akron every year would play to sell out crowds.  We would have Buffalo to the North of us.  We will never compete for  a championship in the Horizon.. That is being a realist.  WE SEEM TO THINK A FCS championship means more in the football world, it doesnt matter to anybody but the ones that are in it, plus u lose money to achieve it. Its about exposure and money and the MAC get way more exposure as well as a little more money than YSU being in the FCS.  For some reason we are still stuck in the 90's and think the sports public cares about FCS or 1AA...they dont and ESPN doesnt either.  They didnt have the last few FCS games on the main channel vs back in the 90's when CBS had it...But that being said...WE ARE BEATING A DEAD HORSE
A Penguin for life!!!

Big D

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:06 PM »
The athletic budgets in the MAC are many millions more than ours.

$25,583,748   Miami (Oh.)
$24,441,732    Central Michigan
$22,994,888  Akron
$22,898,240   Buffalo
$22,575,238   Ohio
$20,211,212  Western Michigan
$20,039,546   Toledo
$19,508,308   Eastern Michigan
$19,446,680   Kent State
$18,772,992   Ball State
$18,452,594   Northern Illinois
$17,040,836   Bowling Green
$11,842,751   Youngstown State

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »
Well those numbers should end that arguement...bigger gap than I would have guessed

The athletic budgets in the MAC are many millions more than ours.

$25,583,748   Miami (Oh.)
$24,441,732    Central Michigan
$22,994,888  Akron
$22,898,240   Buffalo
$22,575,238   Ohio
$20,211,212  Western Michigan
$20,039,546   Toledo
$19,508,308   Eastern Michigan
$19,446,680   Kent State
$18,772,992   Ball State
$18,452,594   Northern Illinois
$17,040,836   Bowling Green
$11,842,751   Youngstown State

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM »
YSUGO....really?  REALLY??  What rivalry does Akron or Kent or any other MAC team bring to YSU?  NONE.  They both SUCK and have sucked for years....that's not a rivalry my friend.  Why do you think neither of them will schedule YSU?  Because they already suck and the fact of a loss every year to an FCS team would make them suck even more!!!!  Our fans don't come out enough as it is; you honestly think they would come to watch Akron or Kent?  OK, OK, maybe the first year or 2.  I would much rather play for a championship than the Clorox Toilet Bowl (as appropriately named above). 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
YSUGO....really?  REALLY??  What rivalry does Akron or Kent or any other MAC team bring to YSU?  NONE.  They both SUCK and have sucked for years....that's not a rivalry my friend.  Why do you think neither of them will schedule YSU?  Because they already suck and the fact of a loss every year to an FCS team would make them suck even more!!!!  Our fans don't come out enough as it is; you honestly think they would come to watch Akron or Kent?  OK, OK, maybe the first year or 2.  I would much rather play for a championship than the Clorox Toilet Bowl (as appropriately named above).

Soup ..there is NO team in I-AA that is more important to beat than Akron ...hands down, Granted I am over 40yrs old and that has something to do with it. Yet if you attend many YSU football games ...I am barely middle-aged compared to the regulars. All of which hate Akron as much as I do. Imagine being able to have Marshall, Akron, Kent, Pitt, UMASS, BG, UT, OU on the schedule every year? How about 5-ESPN games per year (if we make the championship, and go to a bowl). To regress a bit ..."totally awesome dude".

So they 'suck', well how many people in the US know NDSU is is any good? How many people could sit in the stands next year ( renegotiated, so it is an away game) right here in the Ice Castle, and will not know they are the defending national champs? If you say anything more than half, you are wrong. Football in at YSU is a tradition ...a form of entertainment.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:12:39 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »

Soup ..there is NO team in I-AA that is more important to beat than Akron ...hands down, Granted I am over 40yrs old and that has something to do with it. Yet if you attend many YSU football games ...I am barely middle-aged compared to the regulars. All of which hate Akron as much as I do. Imagine being able to have Marshall, Akron, Kent, Pitt, UMASS, BG, UT, OU on the schedule every year? How about 5-ESPN games per year (if we make the championship, and go to a bowl). To regress a bit ..."totally awesome dude".

So they 'suck', well how many people in the US know NDSU is is any good? How many people could sit in the stands next year ( renegotiated, so it is an away game) right here in the Ice Castle, and will not know they are the defending national champs? If you say anything more than half, you are wrong. Football in at YSU is a tradition ...a form of entertainment.

IAA, you hit the nail on the head.  Last time we went to Kent we filled their stadium, TV exposure is much more prevelant as well.  They are on Espn every week the last 2 mths of the season...FCS football is hardly noticed by the media...Fans can relate to the MAC teams...not some cornbilly school that when they come to the ice castle and bring 10 fans...again this is a dead horse!!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
I really really wanted to stay out of this thread but I just can't help myself.

Yes the MAC has a lot of TV games.  None of them on Saturday.

If you are a good team in the MAC, forget about playing Saturdays once baseball season ends and ESPN needs games.

Ohio did not play on Saturday after October 22.  Their last 4 games were Wednesday, Thursday, Wednesday and Tuesday.

Miami played 4 games in November:  Thursday, Wednesday, Wednesday and Tuesday

Toledo played only 6 of their 12 games on Saturday.  Thursday, Friday, Tuesday, Tuesday, Friday and Friday.

There were a total of 5 MAC league games played on Saturdays after October 29 last year.

Do you really think YSU will draw on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights in November?  How fans are going to travel to Miami or Ohio for a Wednesday night game?  Are Mahoning Valley people going to abandon the high school playoffs on Friday nights? 

The MAC is football on TV, never on Saturdays, a one bid league in men's basketball and a helluva big step up in Olympic sports from the Horizon. 

Be careful what you wish for.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
you are quite right Indy, i just wanted people to realize the MAC is not that bad. i am for staying where we are, pressing the conference to drop one conference game requirement lower, and offer 1 & ones to any MAC team that will disobey the conference.