Author Topic: RIP JO PA!!  (Read 21481 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
RIP JO PA!!
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
Shame he had to go out this way with the scandal and such  :-X

RIP

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: RIP JO PA!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
I have always been a big fan of JoePa, I respected his loyalty and class.

The last couple of months were unfortunate to say the least but I have no doubt that his legacy will be based on the 99.99 of good that he accomplished in his lifetime.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:32:54 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUWildcat

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
Meh, guy covered up rape, couldnt care less

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:01:06 PM »
It is about time. The NCAA has graciously restored to JoePa and Penn St the 112 wins that they had no right to take in the first place. As he always has been  the winningest coach.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Just read Ed Puskas's article about PSU and JoePa. While you certainly are entitled to your opinion Ed, you really come off as being young ( immature ) and narrow minded. I know many PSU fans and not one of them condone the behavior of Jerry S. Not one would wish anything like that to happen to anyone let alone a child.

None of us will ever really know just how much JoePa knew, you seem to think you do, but in truth you and I do not. Joe never had his day in court.

I am not perfect,I have done and said some really dumb things in my life, but I am still a good, decent person and I feel that my good deeds out weigh the bad. JoePa was no different, and everyone deserves to be judged by the sum total of his life, good and bad.

They judge the winningst coach by how many games his teams win, no more no less. Coaches may be real nice guys or sob's. They may cheat on their spouse, steal from the local store or worse. More so then JoePa or PSU all those players deserve the wins.

Obviously the NCAA did overstep it's power in what they did, they got caught up in all hoopla ( just like you ) did not step back and see the whole picture.

JoePa did do a great deal of good in his life.

Do you live in a glass house Ed?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:59:45 PM by guinpen »

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:01:29 PM »
And this speaks to why the NCAA is a joke and should be at the least taxed and regulated.  SMU gets the death penalty for paying players to win championships.  PSU got to live after covering up a serial child rapist.  Forget the fines, the bowl ban, the statue and the wins. A. Child. Rapist.  The NCAA had a chance to do what Pennsylvnia state law enforcement either wouldn't or couldn't do, and they balked.  The simple fact that the Penn State Rabble couldn't just be happy not getting the death penalty they rioted.  All parties showed everything wrong with the NCAA octopus.  If anyone truly thinks that the all powerful "JoPa" was just a nice senile old man I have some good real estate on Pluto for sale.  They should have taken more wins, and shut down the whole business.  As for all the good he's done....Im still waiting to see this list, other than building buildings in Happy Valley and overall creating an entire university as a shrine to himself?...yeah i thought not.

Offline penguin8797

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
Paterno failed to do the right thing in what may have been the biggest decision of his life. Even for those who deny the Freeh report, Paterno UNDENIABLY knew Sandusky was a pedophile when he received an eyewitness account of Sandusky sexually fondling a child. On hearing the shocking account, did Paterno call the police? No. He determined the absolute minimum he was legally required to do and did just that. The guy who had the real power to do something, who never accepted the minimum from any player, thought the minimum was acceptable. Even more telling, he never followed up. Would Paterno’s reaction have been different if it had been his grandson in the shower? Does it matter? Paterno is one of several who failed to act, but I expected a lot more from a man of his power and supposed stature. A man deified in his own lifetime with a 7 foot tall statue: no doubt created to commemorate his humble nature and in appreciation for his generous donations to PSU, made possible by the generous sums of cash he was paid by PSU. (BTW- Saban has a damn statue too! Anyone else see anything wrong with ‘golden calf’ statues to living sports coaches?)

Paterno chose the institution and his personal reputation above high ideals and the rights of children, EXACTLY like the Catholic priests who thought the reputation of the Church was more important than upholding their moral beliefs or protecting children. People fail, even priests and famous coaches. Paterno is not the devil. He is just a man who made positive and negative impacts on the lives of others. The positive impact he made on my life is in reminding me how easy it is to do the wrong thing, and how extremely difficult it is to do the right thing.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
Well said penguin8797
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 02:52:13 PM »
It sounds high and mighty 8797, but no one has bothered to explain how Paterno was part of the report filed to the state attorney General's (a man who later became Governor) office ...detailing these items. So to say that Paterno did "nothing" is incorrect. He could have dismissed Sandusky (and you even have a point there). However, this is really not something a HC is going to do without covering all bases and then it should come from the school administration ...people that were clearly made aware by JoePA and others. There is no other way to say this, other than the man was wronged. Furthermore he died seeing his life destroyed unjustly. The newest thing is to say that JoePA was so old that he could not even imagine such a thing exists ...that is a big pile of BS as well. He was no dummy and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Do you think that Gene Smith and President Gee were not made aware of everything that coach Tressel was made aware of at OSU? That is just being naive. JT knew, as did JoPA, as does any Head coach, that their #1 job (especially in today's society) is to be "the fall guy". No school wants to be the next SMU.

The issue here has almost nothing to do with child molestation, is that in both of these cases (PSU and OSU), the NCAA clearly (and by a large margin) overstepped their authority. The organization needs to be disbanded. It is just that they have successfully destroyed their competition (the BCS) by embracing the play-off system ...they do not want to risk derailing any of this s-called progress.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:54:44 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »
Man I sound like a real conspiracy theorist don't I :)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
1AA, and who do you think shot JFK? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!