Author Topic: Horizon League Coaches/Portal  (Read 9536 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Coaches/Portal
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2024, 07:33:50 PM »
Noah Reynolds and Marques Warrick are in the portal.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2024, 09:02:30 PM »
We should go after each of them.  We need a point guard and renalds fits the mold but I believe he is going to go to a bigger school.  As for Warrick I bet he goes to Louisville

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2024, 09:04:55 PM »
Lots of players left GB and entered the portal.   I still believe we should go after Tankersly from Detroit. He was only a sophomore.   Who knows

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2024, 06:53:38 PM »
BJ Freeman(Milwaukee) to the portal.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2024, 10:21:03 PM »
Although things have improved YSU is one of the all-time worst mens programs in D1 the last 30+ years.  The players the last two years came here for a pay day.  How sustainable is that moving forward?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2024, 10:59:42 PM »
Although things have improved YSU is one of the all-time worst mens programs in D1 the last 30+ years.  The players the last two years came here for a pay day.  How sustainable is that moving forward?

Very good question. I think that the answer is: nobody really knows! 

Supposedly, we formed an organized NIL, the Penguin Collective, before any other school in the league. From comments scattered across the internet, we offer the most NIL money. The big question: is that true? If so, will we remain the Horizon League leader?

Maybe we will. Think about this. The vast majority of the schools in the Horizon League are afterthoughts in the large cities in which they are located. Outside of alumni, few sports fans care about Robert Morris in Pittsburgh, or Oakland/Detroit in the Motor City. IUPUI has no fans at all. Northern Kentucky must compete with Cincinnati right across the river, and UK is 90 miles to the south. Wright State is the perpetual little brother to Dayton. And Cleveland State is irrelevant within metro Cleveland.

Conversely, we are the central attraction in the Mahoning Valley. Our wealthy individuals and corporations sell out the football loges and, I assume, fill the coffers of the Penguin Collective. As long as we can pay out more than our Horizon League rivals, maybe we can "buy" more talent every year. But all bets are off if Calhoun leaves.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »

Very good question. I think that the answer is: nobody really knows! 

Supposedly, we formed an organized NIL, the Penguin Collective, before any other school in the league. From comments scattered across the internet, we offer the most NIL money. The big question: is that true? If so, will we remain the Horizon League leader?

Maybe we will. Think about this. The vast majority of the schools in the Horizon League are afterthoughts in the large cities in which they are located. Outside of alumni, few sports fans care about Robert Morris in Pittsburgh, or Oakland/Detroit in the Motor City. IUPUI has no fans at all. Northern Kentucky must compete with Cincinnati right across the river, and UK is 90 miles to the south. Wright State is the perpetual little brother to Dayton. And Cleveland State is irrelevant within metro Cleveland.

Conversely, we are the central attraction in the Mahoning Valley. Our wealthy individuals and corporations sell out the football loges and, I assume, fill the coffers of the Penguin Collective. As long as we can pay out more than our Horizon League rivals, maybe we can "buy" more talent every year. But all bets are off if Calhoun leaves.

Excellent post!  Agree 100%.  That fact you're seeing all these stars such as Reynolds, Warrick, Freeman, Burns etc probably tells you they are seeking more NIL money. 

Coach Calhoun has done a good job navigating this the last 2 years, but things can change so much year to year.  And if and when he leaves all bets are off.

I just wish there was a 1 time or 2 time transfer rule or add if the 2nd or 3rd time transfer they would have to sit out a year...wishful thinking, but I've heard even the Duquesne coach mention this.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2024, 10:49:21 AM »
2 Cleveland St players are now in portal.  Right up the road.  We we take a look at them?

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2024, 12:18:41 PM »

That is the correct question and YSU and the 350 other D1 schools are dealing with the same problem but obviously an OSU has different issues than a low mid major like the Horizon league teams.

The sustainability factor is how much can you afford to pay.  Unless the NCAA has any power anymore then it's going to get ugly and shady and like mud said we'll be cheering for the shirt since the body in the shirt is going to be different every season.  Looks like the days of a Kendrick Perry or a Cameron Morse playing 4 years at YSU are history.
I think the coaches see it and are adjusting but not sure the fan bases are.  Some of the old time coaches like Nick Saban don't want to deal with the madness.  Then again old Nick Had no problem jumping several times to the highest bidder himself.
Not sure I can be mad when another team pulls a guy like DJ Burns who we ourselves pulled from a previous team.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2024, 12:22:44 PM »

That is the correct question and YSU and the 350 other D1 schools are dealing with the same problem but obviously an OSU has different issues than a low mid major like the Horizon league teams.

The sustainability factor is how much can you afford to pay.  Unless the NCAA has any power anymore then it's going to get ugly and shady and like mud said we'll be cheering for the shirt since the body in the shirt is going to be different every season.  Looks like the days of a Kendrick Perry or a Cameron Morse playing 4 years at YSU are history.
I think the coaches see it and are adjusting but not sure the fan bases are.  Some of the old time coaches like Nick Saban don't want to deal with the madness.  Then again old Nick Had no problem jumping several times to the highest bidder himself.
Not sure I can be mad when another team pulls a guy like DJ Burns who we ourselves pulled from a previous team.

Yes it's tough to get accustomed for fans, coaches, etc., but unfortunately I don't see anything changing because as you said the NCAA seems to have lost its power.

I just saw this interesting tweet that Scott Nagy from Wright St may be in line for the SIU job https://x.com/CbbCoachRumors/status/1773019237428117582?s=20

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2024, 01:48:16 PM »

Yes it's tough to get accustomed for fans, coaches, etc., but unfortunately I don't see anything changing because as you said the NCAA seems to have lost its power.

I just saw this interesting tweet that Scott Nagy from Wright St may be in line for the SIU job https://x.com/CbbCoachRumors/status/1773019237428117582?s=20

That would be... interesting. Why leave Wright State for SIU? Granted, I'm kind of saying the same about Calhoun. Why leave YSU for SIU? Both cases are strange to me.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2024, 02:06:37 PM »

That would be... interesting. Why leave Wright State for SIU? Granted, I'm kind of saying the same about Calhoun. Why leave YSU for SIU? Both cases are strange to me.

Very strange and even more puzzling is Scott Nagy is making a base salary of $500,000 a year, which is even more than the president of Wright St. and well more than any coach in the HL.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2024, 02:20:37 PM »
I like having a little coin in my pocket as much as the next guy but this obsession with money the players, coaches and just people in general have, is out of control.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2024, 02:51:09 PM »
I like having a little coin in my pocket as much as the next guy but this obsession with money the players, coaches and just people in general have, is out of control.

Agree! I'll never deny someone that it's their right to make money, but as you said this obsession to bounce around with zero loyalty and uprooting families and lives.  It's hard to blame the players when the coaches are just as bad.  Speaking of such it's so refreshing to see what Greg Kampe has done at Oakland.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2024, 05:08:09 AM »