Author Topic: Horizon League Coaches/Portal  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Coaches/Portal
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2024, 03:41:34 PM »
Comparing to the parallel with the MLB or other professional sports, there are other mechanisms in play to avoid the run away freight trains ( mechanisms such as revenue sharing, salary cap, drafting system…..etc.)

NCAA is trying to accomplish the same goal without these governing mechanisms.
The mid and lower majors are like minor league teams. With the major league teams power 5) paying big $$$ to attract all the top players, it is difficult to compete.

Something will have to be done, otherwise, I am afraid it will eventually destroy college sport as we know it today. More restrictive transfer rule might have be implemented in combination with contractual agreements between players and schools might be needed.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2024, 05:55:24 PM »
Nothing could have preserved the tradition of college sports. The insatiable greed of the power conference schools has destroyed the experience for 90% of NCAA institutions. They want all the money and exposure. They want all the spots in post-season tournaments, even the NIT which used to be a worthy prize for mid-majors.

Historically, the NCAA did try to shield the majority of the membership from the greed of the bigs. From the early 1950s until the early 1980s, the NCAA retained a monopoly over the telecasting of football. To protect the gates of all member institutions, the NCAA restricted any school...Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc... from appearing on national television more than 3 times in a two year period. The NCAA also distributed the proceeds of the tv contract that it controlled widely among the membership.

That all changed as cable tv injected millions, then billions, into college sports. The University of Georgia sued the NCAA and won back control of its athletic television rights. Soon big time conferences then made deals with the networks with no restrictions on the number of appearances. Notre Dame struck their own deal with NBC. And for 90% of NCAA institutions, no distribution of proceeds and big time games saturating the tv dial on Saturdays, snuffing out attendance.

For the last four decades the NCAA could at least control academic standards and player movement. Now that is also gone. The NCAA no longer has any real authority, as it loses in court every time it tries to interfere with the greedy aspirations of the bigs. It could not even stop Tennessee from using NIL money to lure recruits.

For YSU fans, and those of 90% of the nation's colleges, you now have a choice. As Mudclods noted, just cheer for the YSU shirt and don't worry about the individual who happens to be wearing it (however briefly.) Or just walk away from this corrupt system. For me I will just support the YSU shirt and intensify my hatred for each and all big time greed machines.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2024, 08:25:27 AM »
Nothing could have preserved the tradition of college sports. The insatiable greed of the power conference schools has destroyed the experience for 90% of NCAA institutions. They want all the money and exposure. They want all the spots in post-season tournaments, even the NIT which used to be a worthy prize for mid-majors.

Historically, the NCAA did try to shield the majority of the membership from the greed of the bigs. From the early 1950s until the early 1980s, the NCAA retained a monopoly over the telecasting of football. To protect the gates of all member institutions, the NCAA restricted any school...Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc... from appearing on national television more than 3 times in a two year period. The NCAA also distributed the proceeds of the tv contract that it controlled widely among the membership.

That all changed as cable tv injected millions, then billions, into college sports. The University of Georgia sued the NCAA and won back control of its athletic television rights. Soon big time conferences then made deals with the networks with no restrictions on the number of appearances. Notre Dame struck their own deal with NBC. And for 90% of NCAA institutions, no distribution of proceeds and big time games saturating the tv dial on Saturdays, snuffing out attendance.

For the last four decades the NCAA could at least control academic standards and player movement. Now that is also gone. The NCAA no longer has any real authority, as it loses in court every time it tries to interfere with the greedy aspirations of the bigs. It could not even stop Tennessee from using NIL money to lure recruits.

For YSU fans, and those of 90% of the nation's colleges, you now have a choice. As Mudclods noted, just cheer for the YSU shirt and don't worry about the individual who happens to be wearing it (however briefly.) Or just walk away from this corrupt system. For me I will just support the YSU shirt and intensify my hatred for each and all big time greed machines.

Excellent post. 

I do believe Coach Calhoun has embraced the changes and done a good job at fielding winning teams, but is that as far as it goes with post-season tourneys now becoming unlikely unless YSU can somehow win the tourney?  And I do wonder how much longer he'll be at YSU.  The WVU job is open and the Duquesne job will be too.  I feel like the Beeghly renovations and a spot in the NCAA tourney are things he wants to accomplish at YSU, but money talks.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2024, 09:40:29 PM »
Believe it or not, Oakland U. Just took down Kentucky.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2024, 09:45:23 PM »
80 - 76! Greg Campi is a great coach. Beat us in the last 5 seconds with a bit of a trick play. He out coaches a lot of coaches. Just show our league was pretty good this year as was YSU.  And 3 pointers are what can win big games.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2024, 09:53:05 PM »
So happy for Oakland and the Horizon League!  YSU lost two close games to Oakland, shows how good we were.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2024, 10:01:16 PM »
Believe it or not, Oakland U. Just took down Kentucky.

Sorry to hear that.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2024, 10:04:39 PM »
Good win for the Horizon league...keep it going Oakland!!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2024, 11:05:51 PM »
I think we get a part of the money from Oakland's winnings. That was what happened during Butler's run.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2024, 09:18:20 AM »
So happy for Oakland and the Horizon League!  YSU lost two close games to Oakland, shows how good we were.

I still have nightmares from that home loss at YSU. The last play, when we were up 2 with 3 seconds left, the guy came around the high pick screen at the top of the key. Our big guy didn’t step to contest the 3 point shot……we lost by 1.
Kentucky should have watched the Oakland game at YSU.where they shot over 80% from the 3…

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2024, 10:45:19 AM »

I still have nightmares from that home loss at YSU. The last play, when we were up 2 with 3 seconds left, the guy came around the high pick screen at the top of the key. Our big guy didn’t step to contest the 3 point shot……we lost by 1.
Kentucky should have watched the Oakland game at YSU.where they shot over 80% from the 3…

I watched the game last night between Oakland and Kentucky and That was a good win for Oakland in the conference. I felt like the announcers didn’t say a lot about the league though which is understandable but as I watch the game, how was coached I felt that the Oakland coach had a great feel for the game and made this coaching decisions accordingly. sometimes I feel Calhoun hasn’t required that at times specially when we have leads when to pull the ball back, etc. but if we had a player like Oakland had that could’ve been us. it was obvious this year’s team, which was good didn’t have that go to Guy. And yes, we do get a part of the money if Oakland keeps winning plus whatever to swim is so let’s root them on.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2024, 11:18:42 AM »

I watched the game last night between Oakland and Kentucky and That was a good win for Oakland in the conference. I felt like the announcers didn’t say a lot about the league though which is understandable but as I watch the game, how was coached I felt that the Oakland coach had a great feel for the game and made this coaching decisions accordingly. sometimes I feel Calhoun hasn’t required that at times specially when we have leads when to pull the ball back, etc. but if we had a player like Oakland had that could’ve been us. it was obvious this year’s team, which was good didn’t have that go to Guy. And yes, we do get a part of the money if Oakland keeps winning plus whatever to swim is so let’s root them on.

100% agree with this.  I really like Catalon and Lappas, but they really didn't talk about Oakland's season, the Horizon League, etc. 

I do agree that Coach Calhoun gets outcoached at times as he did in both of those Oakland games.  Oakland knows how to win and wins the close games, that's something YSU struggled with.  They also have a lot of team chemistry with returning players and I think that hurt YSU

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2024, 01:20:18 PM »
Oakland plays North Carolina state  tomorrow in Ncaa tournament.    Good luck to them and coach Kampe.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2024, 07:13:17 PM »
https://riceowls.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/andrew-akuchie/9157

Andrew's in the portal.   Would be nice if his brother would put in a good word.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2024, 11:36:24 AM »
Oakland represented the Horizon very well in the tourney!  Maybe not the conference will get more respect!