Author Topic: Horizon League Coaches/Portal  (Read 9452 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Coaches/Portal
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2024, 02:24:38 PM »
So DJ Burns has another year of eligibility!? https://twitter.com/underratedd__/status/1770104649544012062

so is he staying or going
Looks like he is entering the portal and the draft simultaneously. He implies he could go to another school with his additional eligibility if he is not drafted.

Personally, I wish him luck. At 6’6”, chance of becoming a dominant rebounder in NBA is virtually slim and none. He probably could continue his game oversea.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2024, 02:47:00 PM »
I didn't think DJ had another year of eligibility, at least that's what we were made to believe.  Looking back at his career stats, he only played in 6 games (started 4) during the 2020-2021 COVID season.  Not sure if he was injured or what.  So maybe it was a deal like Garrett Covington getting a 6th year.  It's just odd it was assumed and basically talked about that this was it for him. 

We're basically to the point where if a school gets 2 years out of a player that's a lot. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2024, 02:56:15 PM »
I guess that even if he is in the portal he can always stay if he changes his mind. Either way I wish him the best
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2024, 03:18:59 PM »
I guess that even if he is in the portal he can always stay if he changes his mind. Either way I wish him the best

True, that is what Garrett Covington did for his 6th year, but he was a YSU lifer.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2024, 04:07:05 PM »
Didn't know he had another year.  It's bothersome that he's not electing to stay so I guess he's looking at his options and I can't blame him.  He can go pro over seas and get paid or with his rebounding ability he can go to a high major and receive a better NIL compensation than YSU could pay.
It's a new reality in college basketball and we all need to get used to any decent player that develops at YSU will look to the open market when the season concludes.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2024, 04:12:18 PM »
"It's a new reality in college basketball and we all need to get used to any decent player that develops at YSU will look to the open market when the season concludes."

Money is ruining college sports, change is not always for the better.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2024, 05:55:02 PM »
Anthony Breland just entered the portal.   Male that three. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2024, 05:55:28 PM »
Make not male

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2024, 06:16:00 PM »
Everyday I'm losing more and more interest in college sports.  Burns...I hardly knew you. How is it possible that athletes can transfer this many times?  This system is a run-away-train that is destroying college sports.  I can accept one "free" transfer but after that an athlete needs to sit a year. Also, you can only transfer so many college credits, but I doubt if they really care about graduating.  I'm sick of all this s#+t.  Please tell me how this is making college sports better? Everyone complained about the over-reaching power of the NCAA but I for one miss them.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2024, 06:46:53 PM »
for years the complaint was that it was not fair to the athletes that they got nothing but free room and board and a degree, while the school would get all the money. To some degree that was a fair statement, but as often happens in this country anymore in our never-ending quest for fairness to all we have screwed it up bigtime. Not sure that they can get the horses back in the barn.

College sports has lost its innocence and a lot of its appeal.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2024, 07:53:37 PM »
Anthony Breland just entered the portal.   Male that three.

When the coaching staff decides to redshirt a player I wonder if this the player like Breland is good with it knowing he's on a senior loaded team and you would think he would come back as a red-shirt frosh and EARN playing time.  Is there a disconnect?  maybe after practicing the player might not see a future on the team and sees himself at a lower level.  Perhaps the coach tells him maybe he has deficiencies in his game which they should of known when they recruited him.

I'm throwing a lot out there and maybe over thinking these transfers and don't want to even think that coach C might be tough to play for but I'm not seeing that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:56:34 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2024, 08:02:44 PM »
I'm getting sick of this!  Coach recruits his arse off only to have any decent players we get leave!  Thanks NCAA!  I guess they only want the power schools to prosper while the rest of college sports suffers!  Nice!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2024, 09:02:09 PM »
Lets hope this is not a trend.   When is enough enough

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2024, 12:14:04 PM »
The NCAA should have learned from Major League Baseball. For years, MLB used the reserve clause to keep their players for as long as they wanted them. The NCAA restrictions weren’t as bad as Major League Baseball but considering that the players received just room, board and tuition when millions were being reaped in by the NCAA and the colleges was extremely unbalanced.

The NCAA when confronted with the amount of money being made by the NCAA and the colleges made no effort to compensate the players. When the courts ruled in the players’ favor, it became like free agency in Major League Baseball…players going to the highest bidder…my team be damned.

If the NCAA had developed a better compensation plan before it went to the courts it may have been able to avoid the runaway freight train it has become.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2024, 12:38:56 PM »
The cat is out of the bag now and basically all of the power is with the players.  I can't imagine how difficult this is for the coaches.  It's no wonder Nick Saban got out.

It's basically turning into pickup teams every year and you're just cheering for the shirt.  Hard to get attachments to players when they are basically one and done.  If you get 2 years out of a player now that's a lot.