Author Topic: It’s officially Football Season  (Read 5735 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
It’s officially Football Season
« on: March 07, 2024, 09:50:27 PM »
Ok. Now that we got another disappointing basketball season behind us. Time to focus on spring ball and who our starting QB is going to be!  Looking forward to spring practice and see who starts to make some moves.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: It’s officially Football Season
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 09:57:23 PM »
Ok. Now that we got another disappointing basketball season behind us. Time to focus on spring ball and who our starting QB is going to be!  Looking forward to spring practice and see who starts to make some moves.

Go Guins!

Well, we need a good QB and Ohio State starts spring training with 5 good QBs. Any chance for one of those guys to transfer in via portal after their spring training? lol

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 09:52:32 AM »
Hey, we appreciate your passion to see if any Ohio State quarterbacks would transfer here. That would be great but with the state of college football NIL Moneytalks which we don’t have at this stage and quite quite honestly not at any stage, so we’re gonna have to trust Phillips and your offensive coordinator to find that quarterback. Is the legacy QB is the one they targeted and they’re gonna give give him every opportunity to win the job. I haven’t been to a physical game since the championship in Frisco. I moved out of Ohio now live in Florida so I haven’t seen any of the quarterbacks live in person so it’s hard to tell if the legacy QB is division, one material.
The only thing that scares me is they really didn’t let him throw much last year and since he’s more of a run option quarterback, durability could be an issue in our league and as you know, we don’t seem to have keeping running quarterbacks upright. My main concern this year is getting the defense prepared.I I’m hoping we have a style that we all can relate to. And maybe we can get lucky and find somebody on offense that’s a gamebreaker like we had And McLaughlin.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 06:24:52 PM »
Like GO, I am primarily concerned with the defense. Make the scheme simple and rely on the natural abilities of our defenders. No more embarrassing breakdowns in coverage at critical points of games.

Obviously our quarterback this season will be inexperienced, but that does not mean that the winner of the quarterback derby won't be good. Brungard is a vastly superior athlete to his father. We did not see his arm in action last season, but from what I could see in high school competition he throws as well or better than his dad. And don't sleep on Shannon, the transfer from Ursuline. He could very well earn the job.

Scanning the roster, all of those promising young wide receivers are still here. And since Brungard and Shannon can run, they will have an easier time of getting open as our opponents will need to commit a safety to run support.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 08:29:45 PM »
I was scanning the football team roster and I noticed that Tyshon King was still listed as one of the running backs. Did he get another year? I thought he had graduated.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 08:50:34 PM »
He may.  Does anyone in the know explain this??

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 10:36:55 PM »
This is certainly not official, but here is how King might have got that extra year.

He played at Northern Michigan in 2019, 2021, and 2022. (Remember no football below the FCS level in the Covid year.) He earned league honors at NMU as a freshman in 2019, but only played in four games in 2021. Was he able to receive a medical redshirt for that? Pure speculation on my part. We should just be very glad that he is back as it will relieve some pressure on the new quarterback.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 09:46:25 AM »
Wick I believe you make sense in your analysis  of King .  What it means is we got a bevy of tailbacks but not a capable QB.   Brungard is not the answer and Shannon who transfered into the program will be rusty to say the least.   We need a qb bad.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 11:40:27 AM »
If he only played in four games specially if they were the first four games of the season, he could play almost every down and get that game back. Sounds like he had some coaches that knew what they were doing.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 06:28:10 PM »
If he only played in four games specially if they were the first four games of the season, he could play almost every down and get that game back. Sounds like he had some coaches that knew what they were doing.
It is almost spring practices time. Does anyone know when NCAA will make determinations on the eligibility of players? Logically, shouldn’t that decision be made before starting of spring practices?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 10:51:00 PM »
ET,

King is eligible. We are not waiting for the NCAA. We have just been speculating about HOW he earned the additional year.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 05:22:52 AM »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 06:06:28 AM »
Sounds to me like a rebuilding year. 

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 08:53:13 AM »
Last season on the Coaches Show Tyshon King had mentioned he had an additional year of eligibility, so having him return was fully expected. We certainly have a very strong group of backs on the roster. Hoping the QB competition we see brings out the best in those guys!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 11:05:05 AM »
Wow!  A rebuilding year with that schedule!  Yikes!