Author Topic: Wright St  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wright St
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 11:03:09 PM »
For those who didn’t know, YSU won by 10

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 11:03:44 PM »
The line up change the last 8 minutes was the key.  the four starters minus Langdon with Dynes was effective.  four scorers and shot blocker change everything.   

Some nice interior scoring between Ziggy and Burns as both of them each assisted each other with great entrance passes.
 Brett Thompson plays like a (MOF) man on fire.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 11:13:42 PM »
I think this is what coach expected when he brought these guys in!  This game could have been the turning point to bigger and better things!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2024, 11:15:08 PM »
Good games, way to finish.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2024, 12:04:54 AM »
Let's go back to Sunday.  YSU was coming off 2 straight losses after blowing 2nd half leads in both games then find themselves down 1 at home to IUPUI- one of the worst college basketball teams in the country.  I think at this point most were questioning how good this team was. 

Then Brett Thompson lights it up for 20 points in the 2nd half and YSU get a must win by 10. 

On Wednesday, YSU then knocks off PFW, who was leading the league and had just 3 losses, winning by 8 as Thompson scores 24 points.

And tonight, despite trailing by 9 with 9 mins to go, YSU goes on an amazing 20-1 run over the next 6 mins and ends up winning by 10.  And Brett Thompson scores 20 for his 3rd straight 20+ game.

To hold WSU to 71 was pretty incredible.  They were averaging nearly 86 points a game and 91 in the league scoring over 100 3 times including the last 2.  I thought YSU needed to hold them in the low 80s to have a shot at winning.

Outside of that scoring drought the last 5 mins of the first half but still played good defense in that stretch, that's about as good of a game as YSU could play and for once played a complete 40 minute game.  That's one thing YSU hadn't done the last 4 games.

Ziggy Reid was tremendous again.  I thought the turning point was when Langdon got fouled shooting
a 3 and made all 3 foul shots and then the 3's by Rush and Reid that really put YSU over the top.  Dynes had 6 blocks and that was huge on the defensive end. 

Odd Rush shot that 3 on their last possession when they could have run out the clock.  I don't know if he thought it was coming up on a shot clock violation or what, but the shot clock was off.  I saw Coach yelled at him and Rush pointed up like to the shot clock?

Tanner Holden really struggled only scoring 11 and oddly just 3-7 from the FT line.  Trey Calvin had 9 points in the first 10 mins of the game and was held to just 7 points the rest of the game.  Kept 6'9 AJ Braun in check with 12 points and surprisingly only 3 rebounds. 

YSU also got help tonight with Milwaukee coming back to beat CSU and shockingly PFW lost to RMU by 3 in OT.  YSU is now in a 3-way tie for first with Oakland & Green Bay.  While GB has certainly been the surprise of the league, 3 of their wins have come against the bottom 3 teams   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2024, 01:25:18 AM »
Announced crowd of 2650 or so. Seemed like more.  I'll take it. Good win and now Oakland on the road for a payback of earlier loss.   We have to control the 3 pointers better than the first meeting.   Then lowly Detroit.  One game at a time.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2024, 06:32:51 AM »
Coach said in the post game press conference that Gabe might stay a couple of years before going to Power 5. He also said we were the only D-1 team to offer him. This was a surprise since he played high school ball in the proximity of NKU.

After watching the last 4 games, I am still in the opinion that we should not play two small point guards (Langdon & Thompson) at the same time. Lack of heights and having 2 guys running the point just were part of the problems. It was pretty obvious to me in the beginning of the second half when we quickly fell behind. We were finally able to make that 20-1 run when coach took out Langdon and inserted some heights. We should start either Lovelace or Farmer/Bates and let Langdon rotate in to relief Thompson. Keep Thompson on the court as much as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2024, 01:06:57 PM »
Coach said in the post game press conference that Gabe might stay a couple of years before going to Power 5. He also said we were the only D-1 team to offer him. This was a surprise since he played high school ball in the proximity of NKU.

After watching the last 4 games, I am still in the opinion that we should not play two small point guards (Langdon & Thompson) at the same time. Lack of heights and having 2 guys running the point just were part of the problems. It was pretty obvious to me in the beginning of the second half when we quickly fell behind. We were finally able to make that 20-1 run when coach took out Langdon and inserted some heights. We should start either Lovelace or Farmer/Bates and let Langdon rotate in to relief Thompson. Keep Thompson on the court as much as possible. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you.  If you remember, YSU started the season with Langdon and Farmer starting.  When Thompson was inserted into the lineup for Farmer is when YSU turned things around.  Farmer has been improving of late, but I think we could get more production and size out of Lovelace starting. 

Langdon kind of reminds me of Shemar; lack of size is a disadvantage.  Langdon's FG % is less than 37%...the lowest on the team.  Have to remember he didn't play last year.

***One correction from my post above on Rush, the shot clock was going to expire when he shot that 3 at the end.  I don't know why I thought they could run out the clock.  Coach didn't seem pleased, but the shot clock was obviously what Rush was pointing at.