Author Topic: YSU VS NKU  (Read 2189 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU VS NKU
« on: January 03, 2024, 03:59:18 PM »
Must win this game on the road tomorrow night.   Lets see how we respond to a loss.  They are beatable.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU VS NKU
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 03:59:57 PM »
Plus we have two players who used to play for them

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 07:06:15 PM »
Plus we have two players who used to play for them
I don’t think the tall one will see any action.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 12:12:15 PM »
Ya your right.  He is not as good as dynes.  Too many fouls.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 12:53:21 PM »
NKU is 7-7 and also 2-1 in the league.  Their league wins came against RMU by 16 & IUPUI by 18 and most recently lost to PFW by 13.  They lost to Akron by 1 at home.  Some of their other notable losses are Cincinnati, Washington, and Saint Mary's. 

YSU has lost 12 of the last 14 games to NKU.  YSU has only beaten NKU once at NKU since they joined the league in 2016 and that came in 2020, which is 1-8.  The closest game was last year's 2OT loss by 4.  They lost to them by 7 in 2019, while the other 6 losses were double digits. 

NKU Junior Sam Vinson is out for the season with a knee injury.  He's started every game for the last 3 years for NKU.  Averaged 11.2 in his freshman year, 11.8 last year, and 13.3 this year.  He's killed YSU in the past.

NKU is only a 1-1.5 point favorite, which is a little surprising it's not more, but I'm sure the injury to Vinson was a factor.

Hard to say this early it's a must win, but the loss at home to Oakland makes it that much more important.  It sure would be nice to be 3-1 going into a 3 game homestand with IUPUI up first.  After that it's not going to be easy with PFW, who YSU always struggles with, Wright St, and on the road to Oakland.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 07:35:25 PM »
Nice crowd
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 08:56:15 PM »
Are you kidding me?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 09:08:43 PM »
No not kidding, choke another one away at NKU!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 09:17:32 PM »
Marques Warrick = Penguin killer.   NKU picked up their intensity the 2nd half and not sure we matched theirs.
YSU had trouble scoring in the post and NKU had a lob/dunkathon in the interior.

Shot the ball well in the 1st half but their D locked  in the 2nd half.   Nothing easy in the post for YSU as there wasn't against Oakland.  Need someone to step up and bang down low.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:21:08 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 09:25:54 PM »
Poor interior defense in the second half.

When we were cooling off on the outside shooting on the second half, we were doomed. Poor rebounding didn’t help either.
We had over 20+ seconds to foul someone at the end of the game and we wasted 20 seconds before we decided to foul their best (82+%) FT shooter. That was lacking leadership from someone to take charge on the court.
I really didn’t think we could lose this one after leading by 16 and with all the momentum going for us. They found ways to surprise me.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 11:20:59 PM »
I'm not sure if this YSU team thinks they are better than they really are or what.  I didn't hear Coach Calhoun's post-game press conference after this one, but he kind of alluded to that after the Oakland game about guys reading into the social media hype or some sort.

That's 2 games YSU has given away.  Blew an 8-point 2nd half lead at home to Oakland now a 16-point first half lead and 12-point 2nd half lead.  YSU went from pushing the ball in the first half to stalling out in the 2nd half; looked lost on offense, looked tired with shots coming up short and not getting the 50-50 balls.  15 turnovers to just 7 by NKU.  I really never imagined they would lose this one up 16 and NKU without Vinson, but once NKU got it down to 4 I figured YSU was in big trouble. 

Lovelace & Dynes really struggled.  Dynes has to quit putting the ball on the ground so much.  I thought Coach sat Reid, Langdon & Burns too much.  Anyone know why Farmer didn't dress?

YSU is now in a 3-way tie for 6th in the standings. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 09:14:51 AM »
Calhoun told us that this batch of transfers were good, and we believed him. It is obvious now that this is an average basketball team, 2-2 in conference and 6-5 overall against real opponents. These guys have some offensive skills, but they refuse to play defense for 40 minutes. The meltdowns in the second half of the Oakland game and now Northern Kentucky make that abundantly clear.

Last year was an aberration: a group of transfers focused on a goal bigger than themselves and playing hard to attain that goal. There is no sign of such cohesion and unity within this bunch.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 09:25:13 AM »
Calhoun told us that this batch of transfers were good, and we believed him. It is obvious now that this is an average basketball team, 2-2 in conference and 6-5 overall against real opponents. These guys have some offensive skills, but they refuse to play defense for 40 minutes. The meltdowns in the second half of the Oakland game and now Northern Kentucky make that abundantly clear.

Last year was an aberration: a group of transfers focused on a goal bigger than themselves and playing hard to attain that goal. There is no sign of such cohesion and unity within this bunch.

Calhoun said earlier in this season that he couldn't instill to the guys they needed to play 40 min games and as you said has been real evident in the last 2 games.  Last year Cohill was the go to go guy.  This team just doesn't seem to have it even though they are mostly all seniors and 5th year players.  The ending of the game showed it's lacking leadership.  When the shots aren't falling, you have to still play defense and YSU sure didn't do that last night. 

Last night's loss to me was a lot more frustrating than the Oakland game.  I really expected a bounce back and everything was in the cards up 16.  YSU has dug themselves a hole now.  PFW comes in Wednesday and that's a team YSU has really struggled with.  They are already 4-0.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 10:37:46 AM »
As I have posted before at the beginning of the season, this team does not have a go to guy when someone need to take charge to get the team going (Last year, it was Cohill).

We were told that this year we have a group of players who are more balanced and at any given night, someone could be the leading scorer.

As it turned out, when one guy could score for a particular game, the other four guys were not. At times, it seemed like everyone was waiting for the other guy to get hot. Unfortunately, the last 2 games, we didn’t.

Coupled With the lack of consistent effort in the perimeter defense and rebounding, we were doomed once our outside shots  falling.

One of the problems for us to be out rebounded on both end, could be due to our lack of height in the starting unit. With 3 guards (5’9, 6’0 & 6’2) and 2 forwards (6’6 & 6’7), it is really difficult to control the board.

When we are hot, we can play with anybody on any given night (especially when the other teams were not making the 3 ball…..if not, Oakland and second half of the NKU were the exhibits a & b)

Realistically, on an average, at best,  we are probably in the bottom of the top half our our league.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 12:19:35 PM »
 :o :o YSU a basketball school... LOL

YSU a Womens bowling school  8)