Author Topic: Penguins Announce December Signees  (Read 3986 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins Announce December Signees
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2023, 03:44:22 PM »
IAA Fan couldn't disagree with you more about YSU  men's basketball.   It is all we have at the university that has any chance of national Notoriety.

Well I guess that we have no chance then.

To quote Popeye - I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam.

YSU is mid major in all sports and that most likely will never change. From time to time football may make a run and be mentioned on ESPN for a while. Same thing for both bb teams. At this point all three teams will be excited to just make the playoffs. Not saying that is a bad or disappointing thing but just the way it is.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 03:45:53 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2023, 04:34:56 PM »
I don't understand the hostility between football-centric and basketball-centric YSU fans. Just enjoy that both teams are now successful, and the women gave us a decade of quality before that program collapsed this season.

On the matter of being a basketball school and basketball gaining national notoriety, Calhoun is not building the foundation for long-term dominance. By bringing in a batch of senior/grad student transfers each year, he is striving to advance to the big time. When he leaves, probably after this season, he will take Lovelace and the 7-footer with him. The next coach will barely have enough bodies to place a team on the court. That is not something that happens at a basketball school.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2023, 05:13:23 PM »
I don't understand the hostility between football-centric and basketball-centric YSU fans. Just enjoy that both teams are now successful, and the women gave us a decade of quality before that program collapsed this season.

On the matter of being a basketball school and basketball gaining national notoriety, Calhoun is not building the foundation for long-term dominance. By bringing in a batch of senior/grad student transfers each year, he is striving to advance to the big time. When he leaves, probably after this season, he will take Lovelace and the 7-footer with him. The next coach will barely have enough bodies to place a team on the court. That is not something that happens at a basketball school.

I absolutely despise basketball.  It's an awful sport.  I only like contact sports like Football and Boxing.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2023, 09:33:37 AM »
Basketball is a contact sport.  What do you mean contact?  Last time I seen a game they are physical and body each other.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 11:22:23 AM »
Basketball is a contact sport.  What do you mean contact?  Last time I seen a game they are physical and body each other.

It's not a contact sport. It's ghey. Football and Boxing are Men's sports.  Basketball is for the beta males.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2023, 02:10:22 PM »

It's not a contact sport. It's ghey. Football and Boxing are Men's sports.  Basketball is for the beta males.

You have some serious issues you need to work out.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2023, 04:05:08 PM »
Now come on guys. I am no basketball fan either, but I catch every Penguin game that I can. I support my school.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2023, 05:15:10 PM »

Yes he does have issues to work out.  An NCAA basketball tournament berth and first round win would be more exposure for YSU than all 4 FCS titles combined. FCS is irrelevant to everyone but us fools that follow it for our schools.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 05:18:20 PM by nova75 »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2023, 06:05:35 PM »

Yes he does have issues to work out.  An NCAA basketball tournament berth and first round win would be more exposure for YSU than all 4 FCS titles combined. FCS is irrelevant to everyone but us fools that follow it for our schools.

Why basketball sucks.  First, the court dimensions and hoop height are very small for the sizes of the player today.  Many of these players don't even need to actually jump to get the ball in the hoop.  It's like watching young kids playing with an adjustable hoop and lowering it to play.  Something needs to be done about this in my opinion.  Secondly the f***ing horns are so annoying.  Third, the contact isn't like football and boxing, it's glorified soccer with a lot of acting (constantly ). Finally, of the game is close, which is what you want to see. The last 5 minutes, which lasts approximately 1 hours, is just painful to watch.  The end of the games are dragged out with fouling etc.  if it was a contact sport running into or hitting someone wouldn't be considered a foul.

It's a non-contact sport. 

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2023, 10:47:38 AM »

Why basketball sucks.  First, the court dimensions and hoop height are very small for the sizes of the player today.  Many of these players don't even need to actually jump to get the ball in the hoop.  It's like watching young kids playing with an adjustable hoop and lowering it to play.  Something needs to be done about this in my opinion.  Secondly the f***ing horns are so annoying.  Third, the contact isn't like football and boxing, it's glorified soccer with a lot of acting (constantly ). Finally, of the game is close, which is what you want to see. The last 5 minutes, which lasts approximately 1 hours, is just painful to watch.  The end of the games are dragged out with fouling etc.  if it was a contact sport running into or hitting someone wouldn't be considered a foul.

You're complaining.... about a horn? Good grief, we're reached a new level of stupid.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2023, 11:20:53 AM »

You're complaining.... about a horn? Good grief, we're reached a new level of stupid.

The horn is annoying and the reason the penalty flag was invented in football

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2023, 01:45:06 PM »
Lol I enjoy both football and basketball. I will say though, an NCAA tournament birth is much more meaningful than an FCS football championship. The FCS is completely irrelevant. Playing in the MAC is better then a pointless FCS.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2023, 02:07:52 PM »
Lol I enjoy both football and basketball. I will say though, an NCAA tournament birth is much more meaningful than an FCS football championship. The FCS is completely irrelevant. Playing in the MAC is better then a pointless FCS.

Interesting take on things, 64 teams make the NCAA tournament while only one can win a title in FCS. Hard to compare. The mac is a low end league but it would be nice to be playing in a league with some of those schools if only because of the interest due to how close they are.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
I love football, but the amount of people that will tune into the FCS championship game is far less than the amount that would watch NC-Duke basketball on a random Tuesday night.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2023, 04:57:22 PM »
I love football, but the amount of people that will tune into the FCS championship game is far less than the amount that would watch NC-Duke basketball on a random Tuesday night.

coach just announced in his weekly MBB press conference that the Wright State at YSU game will be Broadcasted on ESPN2 nationally from YSU. I believe there will be another game to be broadcasted later on ESPN.

Speaking of national exposure for YSU, do we really think any YSU regular FCS football game will be shown nationally on ESPN. Don’t get me wrong, I am a football guy (over basketball). But, facts are facts. As I recall, the only FCS YSU home game ever on ESPN was the playoff game against Air McNair(Jackson Stays?).

Go penguins.