Author Topic: Penguins Announce December Signees  (Read 3996 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penguins Announce December Signees
« on: December 22, 2023, 10:49:52 AM »
Remy Bose
Linebacker
6-1, 210
Gateway High School
Pittsburgh, Pa.

High School: Was a first-team all-conference selection as a junior…two-time all-conference selection…coach was Don Holl.

Brandon Chambers

Brandon Chambers Jr.
Safety
5-11, 181
Farrell High School

High School: Was a standout running back and safety…named a District 10/Region 3 All-Star as an all-purpose back
and defensive back…Farrell defeated Mercyhurst Prep to win the District 10 Class 2A title…scored on a 54-yard run
in the game…won district title in two straight seasons…as a junior rushed for more than 1,000 yards and caught
11 passes for 150 yards and three touchdowns.

Antuan Gardner
Antuan Gardner
Running Back
6-0, 205
Niles McKinley High School
Niles, Ohio

High School: First-team All-Ohio Division IV selection as a senior…named the NE-8 Conference Player of the
Year…named the Trumbull County Coaches Association Player of the Year…rushed for 2,479 yards on 297
carries and scored 31 touchdowns in 2023…averaged 8.3 yards per rush…caught 10 passes for 209 yards
and two scores…named the Big 22 Player of the Year by WYTV…in the playoffs, rushed for 471 yards and
scored six touchdowns on 29 carries against Ashtabula Edgewood…the win over Edgewood was the Red
Dragons' first playoff win in 23 years…rushed for 4,746 yards and scored 61 touchdowns during career.

Stephen Henderson
Stephen Henderson
Linebacker
6-1, 210
Shaker Heights High School
Cleveland, Ohio

High School: Played defensive end/outside linebacker and tight end…had 42 tackles, with 23 solo stops
as a senior…had eight TFLs, highlighted by six sacks…forced two fumbles and had two fumble recoveries.

Dallas McCracken
Dallas McCracken
Offensive Lineman
6-4, 265
United High School

High School: First-team All-Ohio Division VI selection as a senior…had 54 pancake blocks as a senior…added
46 tackles along with 10 TFLs and six sacks…was a first-team All-Quad County pick…three-time first-team
All-Northeast Inland All-District Division VI selection…helped lead United to 17 wins over the last two
seasons and a pair of playoff appearances…played offensive and defensive line…started 43 games in
his career…recorded 142 pancake blocks during career…in 2023, Golden Eagles posted a 10-2 record and
won the Eastern Ohio Athletic Conference title…coach was D.J. Ogilvie…also is a standout wrestler finishing
runner-up in the 2023 Ohio Division III Championships as a heavyweight…is United's first Division I recruit in
26 years.

Devaughn Perkins
Devaughn Perkins
Defensive Tackle
6-0, 295
Cathedral High School
Indianapolis, Ind.

High School: First-team All-City Offensive Lineman as a senior…named to the Indy Star Super Team…Irish played in the Class 6A state semifinals in 2022…coach was Bill Peebles.

Colin Seibert
Colin Siebert
Quarterback
6-4, 190
Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School
Cleveland, Ohio

High School: Second-team All-Northeast Lakes District selection as a senior…threw for 2,108 yards
and 16 touchdown passes in 2023…rushed for four scores…also plays basketball.

Brendan Tabachnick
Brendan Tabachnick
Defensive End
6-5, 265
North Royalton High School
Cleveland, Ohio

High School: Was a standout defensive end and tight end.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins Announce December Signees
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »
Lets hope we get some portal transfers with size and experience...Looking at the class seems like no one had any serious offers  because of size other than the Chambers kid from PA and the kid from Niles.   Other than that who knows.  Redshirt season for most.   Lets hope the few transfer portal commits we got pan out.   Still one more spring signing to go.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 09:02:29 AM »
Honestly, least impressive group in DPs time here. Gardner might help rest are all going to be redshirt. 265 OL?  Take at least a year if he had great skill. Transfer lottery and spring signings say hold out and hope, but this clas is disappointing.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 09:28:00 AM »
Honestly, least impressive group in DPs time here. Gardner might help rest are all going to be redshirt. 265 OL?  Take at least a year if he had great skill. Transfer lottery and spring signings say hold out and hope, but this clas is disappointing.

Will not know for 2-3 years how good this class is. Hope we will say it was great.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2023, 11:23:57 AM »
Immediate help will come from the transfers, not these young kids. If internet postings are accurate, we have several new faces for the secondary within the transfer group. Here is the big question: Does it really matter who we recruit on defense if we are stuck with the same defensive coaching staff?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 01:04:32 PM »
Immediate help will come from the transfers, not these young kids. If internet postings are accurate, we have several new faces for the secondary within the transfer group. Here is the big question: Does it really matter who we recruit on defense if we are stuck with the same defensive coaching staff?

Good point Wick. If we don’t improve on the defensive scheme next year, I don’t think any recruits will make any difference.

I don’t think our secondary talents were as bad as the statistics had shown. IMO, instead, they were actually the victims of a poor defensive scheme. In my past posting, I kept going back to the game that we tried to cover the best receiver in the MVFC with single coverage the entice game. Our poor cornerback kept getting burned over and over and the receiver had a career day. The secondary was made even more vulnerable by our inability to put pressure on the opposing QB.

I don’t think Brungard will be our future QB. This has nothing to do with his talent, I am just trouble believing that if he is, why would us not let him try to throw the ball? Oh, worse than that, we were having him return punts while he was the backup QB in the game.

On another hand, we are supposed to be a football college and yet, currently, our MBB is almost ranked in the top 100 in D1. I don’t think our football team is anywhere closed to be ranked in the top 100 nationwide.

Go penguins.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »

Good point Wick. If we don’t improve on the defensive scheme next year, I don’t think any recruits will make any difference.

I don’t think our secondary talents were as bad as the statistics had shown. IMO, instead, they were actually the victims of a poor defensive scheme. In my past posting, I kept going back to the game that we tried to cover the best receiver in the MVFC with single coverage the entice game. Our poor cornerback kept getting burned over and over and the receiver had a career day. The secondary was made even more vulnerable by our inability to put pressure on the opposing QB.

I don’t think Brungard will be our future QB. This has nothing to do with his talent, I am just trouble believing that if he is, why would us not let him try to throw the ball? Oh, worse than that, we were having him return punts while he was the backup QB in the game.

On another hand, we are supposed to be a football college and yet, currently, our MBB is almost ranked in the top 100 in D1. I don’t think our football team is anywhere closed to be ranked in the top 100 nationwide.

Go penguins.

For the record, as of December 9 in the Sagarin Ratings, YSU is #123. We are #10 in FCS. We are rated higher than six MAC schools. Kent State is rated the worst FBS team in the country; Akron fifth from the bottom. SDSU is #28 (probably higher now after their semi-final win.)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 03:04:35 PM »

Go penguins.

For the record, as of December 9 in the Sagarin Ratings, YSU is #123. We are #10 in FCS. We are rated higher than six MAC schools. Kent State is rated the worst FBS team in the country; Akron fifth from the bottom. SDSU is #28 (probably higher now after their semi-final win.)

Great points.  This is what I've been trying to say all year.  That being said, I'm concerned that the DL will be an issue next year.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2023, 06:07:20 PM »
If the defensive front 7 doesn't get pressure on the QB or disrupt the backfield it doesn't matter who we have in the secondary.  With the defections and graduation on defense we are in serious trouble.   

Offline YoungstownCity1796

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 10:24:47 PM »
"On another hand, we are supposed to be a football college and yet, currently, our MBB is almost ranked in the top 100 in D1. I don’t think our football team is anywhere closed to be ranked in the top 100 nationwide."

YSU is a basketball school and has been for several years now. Maybe longer. And that's as it should be.

It's Division I competition with more parity; we still get to play big programs; there are natural regional rivalries in our conference; there's more games to enjoy and; it's not a violent sport subject to possibly permanently injuring young people for entertainment.

In fact, if given the choice between an FCS football championship, an NIT championship or March Madness appearance (consequence of a conference tourney championship), or a national championship in any other sport, I'll take NIT/NCAA tourney. Every. Time.

Most sports fans don't even care about FCS football to begin with. The average fan couldn't tell you who won the championship last year or who's in it this year without Googling it.

P5 separation will continue to create even further irrelevance to the remainder of Division I afterbirth. And those programs will just continue to drain school budgets out of some misplaced sense of pride.

Their highest possible achievement would, at best, be to win an irrelevant bowl game that only alumni or those with gambling habits would care about.

I'll take a sold out Beeghly for a NIT home game vs an Oklahoma State over an embarrassing 3K in an old stadium for the first home playoff game in years against a school from a level of football no one cares about, every year.

(Btw, instead of building a standalone WATTS facility, they should have taken time to raise more capital, phased out Stambaugh, and created a single, 10K-capacity, domed, multi-use facility for football, track and whatever else like a number of other schools in the MVFC...you know, since we're a football school and all. Only one facility to maintain and less folks want to sit in crap weather to watch YSU football; the fan base is getting older and it's super convenient to watch the game on the ESPN app. But I digress as that ship has sailed.)

Anyway, I know it's two different sports and two different season and folks can be supportive of both. But my point is when it comes to the question of "what sport is YSU?", I think it's become increasingly self-evident.

And if YSU MBB wins another 20+ games and a conference title this year, that's a two-handed jam on that argument.

Now fix those bleachers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 10:36:33 PM by YoungstownCity1796 »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 12:40:07 PM »
Major renovation planned starting in April and should wrap up by the beginning of the season I believe.   I hope it is ready because that is only 8 months to get it done.   Lots of changes.  No bleachers anymore.  Yeah!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2023, 11:25:22 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy on Brady Shannon

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/12/coming-home-former-ursuline-star-brady-shannon-changes-sports-transfers-to-youngstown-state/
Really missed football! Sure. Wonder how much he'd have missed it if he had cracked 150 as a hitter?   Beau will win job on competitive desire. Springfield played 4 wide outs a lot because Brungard was qb and rb both. Not at 1aa for sure, but major threat to run o n every play.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2023, 07:45:59 AM »
YSU is about as far from a basketball school as you can get. Basketball does determine most of what a university will do though. Conference affiliation, interest, etc. YSU was only a "player" that year we knocked off Butler twice during one of the years they made the NCAA final. Slocum was the darling of ESPN.

However, with the portal and major changes in college football approaching, basketball will probably become a thing of the past at many schools.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 07:47:23 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2023, 03:18:25 PM »
IAA Fan couldn't disagree with you more about YSU  men's basketball.   It is all we have at the university that has any chance of national Notoriety.