Author Topic: YSU men's team vs Western Michigan  (Read 1848 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU men's team vs Western Michigan
« on: December 08, 2023, 07:24:28 AM »
1pm tip Saturday at WMU.   They only have 2 or 3 wins on the season so we stand a chance on getting another big Mac victory.  Then two non d1 schools up next.   I feel good about the team.  I didn't a couple of weeks ago.  Can we possibly start season 10 - 3?  We shall see.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU men's team vs Western Michigan
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 09:34:07 AM »
I'm like you, I was pretty concerned about this team a couple weeks ago, but it turned around with the Dayton game and inserting Thompson into the starting lineup.  They are playing better defense and much more fluid on offense. 

The opportunity is certainly there to be 10-3 resuming league play where we're already 2-0. 

Western MI is 2-6, but 3 of those losses are to Ohio State, Northwestern & Notre Dame; they also had an OT loss to ND State in their opener.  They are averaging less than 65 ppg.  Their wins are to Southeastern Louisiana by 2 and also beat Mercer. 

YSU is now 97 in net rankings and WMI sits at 298.

After the 2 non D1 games is Navy, which is currently 2-5 and is 283 in the net.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:36:55 AM by mudclods »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 10:02:07 AM »
I'm like you, I was pretty concerned about this team a couple weeks ago, but it turned around with the Dayton game and inserting Thompson into the starting lineup.  They are playing better defense and much more fluid on offense. 

The opportunity is certainly there to be 10-3 resuming league play where we're already 2-0. 

Western MI is 2-6, but 3 of those losses are to Ohio State, Northwestern & Notre Dame; they also had an OT loss to ND State in their opener.  They are averaging less than 65 ppg.  Their wins are to Southeastern Louisiana by 2 and also beat Mercer. 

YSU is now 97 in net rankings and WMI sits at 298.

After the 2 non D1 games is Navy, which is currently 2-5 and is 283 in the net.

Agreed. I was really pessimistic after the Lake Erie game, but I also saw the turn around at the Dayton game. If guys could start making those 10 foot jump shots in the lane and with Thompson and Rush’s abilities to make quick moves to the basket, we could challenge the top 3 teams in our league. Thompson and our 7’3” freshman have been a pleasant surprise for me this season.
I can’t remember YSU has ever ranked in the top 100. Mike Rice used to say getting into the top 100 was important because, in those days, the bookies would start making the odds and pay attention to the team.
Go Penguins.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 10:29:27 AM »
Yes, YSU is still leaving some points off the board failing to hit good, open looks.  That really cost them a shot at beating Dayton.  And really should have been up double figures on Ohio early on.  Need to get our ppg up and hopefully that's coming.  It's kind of opposite last year where scoring wasn't an issue, but defense was. 

I wish that Louisiana game wasn't the opener because that was a game YSU should have won and certain would if it played now. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 02:23:13 PM »
We would have a shot at beating Michigan now too.   Michigan is playing bad.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 08:45:44 AM »
Big game today.   Lets see how we stack up.  WMU has a losing record but they did play Ohio State and Notre Dame as well.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2023, 12:17:17 PM »
YSU is a 5-5.5 favorite.  I feel like YSU should win by 8-12

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023, 01:56:19 PM »
Not a good ending to the first half going scoreless the last 4+ mins.  YSU was up 14 and had the ball then it started with the bad turnover by Rush followed by a lengthy delay by the officials and quick timeout by Coach Calhoun, and YSU just lost all of its momentum.  WMI cut the lead in half.  Luckily WMI is just 3-9 at the FT line or the game is closer.   

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 02:20:27 PM »
Down to 5 now!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 02:33:02 PM »
YSU looks all out of sorts on offense.  Only 15 points in nearly the last 16 mins.  Down 2

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2023, 02:54:44 PM »
Ziggy huge in this game!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2023, 03:08:30 PM »
Ziggy huge in this game!

Yes! He was the difference in that game, hit several clutch 3's and 2 late FT.  YSU looked really sharp the first 16 mins of the game building a 14-point lead then basically just held on the rest of the way.  Guys looked tired.  WMI left a lot of points out there just 11-21 from the FT line. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2023, 03:15:50 PM »
Winners

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2023, 03:31:54 PM »
Pull this one out. We lost the intensity part of the second half and fell behind by 1. After a timeout, we went on a run and went back up by 6. Their FT was poor and one of their guy shot 2 for 26 for the year. It would have been a much closer game with a few more FT. Rush was still not quite himself.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2023, 03:43:30 PM »
Pull this one out. We lost the intensity part of the second half and fell behind by 1. After a timeout, we went on a run and went back up by 6. Their FT was poor and one of their guy shot 2 for 26 for the year. It would have been a much closer game with a few more FT. Rush was still not quite himself.

Rush only played 21 mins.  He's had 2 really good games this year, but most of the rest just doesn't seem himself.  If he can get going more consistently, YSU is going to be tough to beat