Author Topic: YSU and the Portal  (Read 8658 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU and the Portal
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2023, 07:02:06 PM »
Looks like we might of lost a few more guys in the portal it’s crazy.  Looks like we offered a RB Robinson from Duquesne.  As well.  Anybody close to the program know if some were told to go.  FCS is dead if this is the new model. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2023, 08:21:51 PM »
Any names??

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2023, 10:13:59 PM »
The AD gets paid to figure these things out.  Some may agree and others may disagree but its his job! I'm not gonna bash the guy as he has done some good things for the programs. However, he has been on numerous competition committees and had to know what was go to happen. 

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2023, 10:15:29 PM »
I have to think that with NIL and the ability to transfer and play immediately that the FCS level will be basically dead. If you’re a Big 10 looking for playing time there’s probably dozens of FBS schools that will come calling. And with money. No reason to even think about transferring down a division.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2023, 08:55:10 AM »
Any particular site that lists up-to-date transfers for FCS.  I only find FBS.   Any info would be helpful.

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2023, 07:16:02 PM »
Former Ursuline QB Brady Shannon has committed to Youngstown State. In HS he was a 3-Star QB that we had offered. He ultimately chose to play D1 Baseball at UCF. However last month he announced he was entering the transfer portal to play D1 football.

In his senior year at Ursuline he threw for 2,829 yards and 24 TD's, while throwing 12 int's. He completed 194/315 (61.5%) of his passes. He also rushed for 832 yards on the ground, where he racked up 8 more TD's. He is 6'3" and 210 pounds.

At the very least thing brings competition to the roster as we know this is a critical position to fill with Mitch Davidson graduating. We will see how he looks in spring ball along with Beau and the two others.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2023, 09:16:52 AM »
We shall see if Brady Shannon is rusty.   Not a bad get but we will need more transfers a that position

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2023, 11:42:18 AM »
We shall see if Brady Shannon is rusty.   Not a bad get but we will need more transfers a that position

Any quality quarterback who enters the portal will want two things: money and a guarantee that he will be the starter. We can't provide the former and we won't provide the latter. The acquisition of Shannon means that there will be no quarterback transfer.

I watched Shannon on tv several times. I remember him as a punishing runner. Ignore his passing stats as very few high schools can play pass defense (ah, just like us.) It will be an interesting battle during spring ball.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2023, 12:03:16 PM »

Did he get any D1 offers to play QB when he came out of HS? If I recall, Crenshaw was also a 3 star recruit who could run but not pass. I hope this guy could do better.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »

Did he get any D1 offers to play QB when he came out of HS? If I recall, Crenshaw was also a 3 star recruit who could run but not pass. I hope this guy could do better.

As a D1 outfielder I'm sure he has raw arm talent to be developed into a very good FCS QB imo.

He was a 3 star recruit according to 247 Sports, ranked 80th overall prospect in the state of Ohio for Football

I only saw 6 other Ohio QBs ranked higher than him for that class. It looks like, UMAss, Akron, Kent and YSU all offered him in 2020 for football.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2023, 08:02:55 AM »
The AD gets paid to figure these things out.  Some may agree and others may disagree but its his job! I'm not gonna bash the guy as he has done some good things for the programs. However, he has been on numerous competition committees and had to know what was go to happen.

Maybe I do not understand ... what is his job again?  The AD has absolutely nothing to do with the portal, any players coming or going. The AD makes the determination on dollar amounts being paid to athletes and is influential in name usage, but when it comes to players ... that is about it.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2023, 11:13:02 AM »

Thanks for the insight but a recruit with no experience has been out of football for a few years isn’t the answer as a starter and a D1 program. We’ve had plenty of quarterbacks that could run and not pass and let us to mediocre results. Sounds like this guy is a project he needs time to develop.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2023, 11:48:05 AM »
WOW!! Another wasted scholly on a QB project!! BB (6-0) is too short for FCS football, right?? Ask the kid from Albany (5-11), Baker from SIU (5-9) nothing good ever became of them.

Need to spend schollies on defense!

YSU football the home of incompetence.

GooooGuins!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2023, 05:28:12 PM »
WOW!! Another wasted scholly on a QB project!! BB (6-0) is too short for FCS football, right?? Ask the kid from Albany (5-11), Baker from SIU (5-9) nothing good ever became of them.

GooooGuins!!
Baker played like crap against us.  As for BB, the coach wouldn’t let him throw so WTH knows what he can do.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2023, 09:08:46 PM »

GooooGuins!!
Baker played like crap against us.  As for BB, the coach wouldn’t let him throw so WTH knows what he can do.

So? Baker was a baller.. Check out what he accomplished -minus a game YSU pulled out their ass against them. My gut tells me BB is a bigger faster version of Baker.

Hey, Go can you do some of us a solid? Post the link to the portal you're seeing all these Guins on. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:15:46 PM by ysubigred »