Author Topic: YSU and the Portal  (Read 8652 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU and the Portal
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2023, 07:51:17 AM »
As we know DP has not utilized the portal in the past but now he has to get aggressive and rebuild a gutted, although, weak defense. Again. Not sure if it was coaching schemes and lack of preparation, lack of talent, lack of attitude, or a combination of all of it but this is where we are today on college coaching and sports.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2023, 08:01:30 AM »
Okay everyone don’t forget if they already used their eligibility they can transfer for 1 yr for grad school.  I don’t know how many have used their 4 years
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 10:40:36 AM »
As we know DP has not utilized the portal in the past but now he has to get aggressive and rebuild a gutted, although, weak defense. Again. Not sure if it was coaching schemes and lack of preparation, lack of talent, lack of attitude, or a combination of all of it but this is where we are today on college coaching and sports.

Do you have a link to the portal?

My thoughts are it's both coaching and talent... YSU was way small and too weak up front. The secondary would have been better served having Stevie Wonder back there at least he could have bumped into someone.

Let's hope the coaching staff and talent on D gets upgraded.

As they always say: don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

On another note: the portals I've seen with all FBS players on it has no shortage of QB's. I like BB and think he can do the job. Him and the other young gun slingers may need another year...

We'll find out soon enough "IF" this D project will work.. Nova is the 1st game of the season in Philly. Although they lose 26 6th year SR's so there is that.

GooooooGuins!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 10:46:25 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 10:52:36 AM »
We know that Howard is good, based on the offers that he is receiving. Let's see where the others end up. G5 or D2/3. That will give us a strong indication whether our bad defense was due to coaching or a lack of talent. Either way we have a defensive crisis: bad recruiting or bad coaching.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
We know that Howard is good, based on the offers that he is receiving. Let's see where the others end up. G5 or D2/3. That will give us a strong indication whether our bad defense was due to coaching or a lack of talent. Either way we have a defensive crisis: bad recruiting or bad coaching.

He's one of three on this I'm concerned about. The LB play was the only thing on the D with a passing grade.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 02:52:08 PM »
Medvec in portal too

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 03:02:53 PM »
Medvec in portal too
Medvac SHOULD be in portal. He can kick and he can't kick for us. That's the good of the portal. BTW I'm a big BB guy at qb. I think o will be fine and d sucked anyway, so who cares? . The only portal guy I want is Howard. Let's see what we pick up.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 06:48:41 PM »
The portal and NIL will kill this level of football. My brother teaches at Fitch. Pitt was there visiting some recruits. They give each scholarship player a minimum of $22k per year. It has always been hard to recruit at the FCS level. But why would anyone choose an FCS school over FBS? Nova has rarely been able to out recruit the likes of Temple and Rutgers. NIL and the portal will make that impossible going forward.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2023, 07:02:41 PM »
The portal and NIL will kill this level of football. My brother teaches at Fitch. Pitt was there visiting some recruits. They give each scholarship player a minimum of $22k per year. It has always been hard to recruit at the FCS level. But why would anyone choose an FCS school over FBS? Nova has rarely been able to out recruit the likes of Temple and Rutgers. NIL and the portal will make that impossible going forward.

Pardon me if I am naive, but does that 22k include tuition and housing or is it free money?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2023, 08:58:12 PM »
Pure money in the pocket

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2023, 09:09:55 PM »
Pure money in the pocket

Wow, bye bye to the pretenders
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2023, 03:45:45 PM »
Well, looking at 247's portal tracker I only seen 2 Guins listed out of 2236 transferees...

Anthony Johnson DL
Alex Howard LB

I see more Harvard players listed than that.. Also, Louisville has enough D players in the portal to replace all supposedly 10 flightless birds all 3 and 4 star guys. :o

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2023, 05:52:10 PM »
we need to grab one of these half-backs unless we can convince one of the TE's to spend more time in the back. We need to hard-hitter behind QB.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2023, 09:57:58 PM »
You can’t blame anybody for transferring.for money of a better program.  We lose coaches all the time due to money.

This program has lived on borrowed time and even got the hometown discount from Tress and Pelini and I think even Heacock took a little less so he could pay his assistants better

We never parleyed our success to get to D1 and found any big money donors to get us their if Monus wouldn’t haven’t been caught he might of done that

So get used to his bit is 7-4, 6-5 maybe an 8-3 season here or there unless we find more cash and players will come and go now
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2023, 06:18:26 AM »
That is true YSU go. The only thing I would add to that is that we are far from the only university in this situation. So something Hass to come of it because I have a feeling we are one of the majority.