Author Topic: Championship Odds (11/28 Update)  (Read 1575 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Championship Odds (11/28 Update)
« on: November 29, 2023, 07:57:35 AM »
Championship Odds (11/28 Update)
No. 1 seed South Dakota State -165

No. 2 seed Montana +450

No. 6 seed Montana State +1000

North Dakota State +1000

No. 3 seed South Dakota +2000

No. 4 seed Idaho +2200

No. 8 seed Villanova +4000

No. 5 seed UAlbany +4000

Youngstown State +4000

Southern Illinois +6000

Delaware +6000

No. 7 seed Furman +8000

Richmond +10000

Chattanooga +15000

Sacramento State +15000

Mercer +20000

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Championship Odds (11/28 Update)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 08:03:23 AM »
Our odds are now equivalent to teams seeded #5 and #8

Hopefully this gives people perspective on how far we've actually come since Pelini left the program in shambles.

People need to think again about hating on Phillips.  We have a young team and a bright future (as long as we get a QB and fill some holes).  Much more difficult to replace holes when it comesnto the OL.and DL.  Hopefully we can go to the portal for some skill positions. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 03:14:57 PM »

Hopefully this gives people perspective on how far we've actually come since Pelini left the program in shambles.

People need to think again about hating on Phillips.  We have a young team and a bright future (as long as we get a QB and fill some holes).  Much more difficult to replace holes when it comesnto the OL.and DL.  Hopefully we can go to the portal for some skill positions.
I'm 100% in on stopping the negativity on Phillips. We have a loot coming back and Brungard is going to be better than Davidson as will Harris outshine King. We should be 2 games better next year.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 04:42:22 PM »
The University doesn't have the money to replace the HC.  Please keep in mind that 20% of FCS football programs make the playoffs.  This is not what I would call a great  accomplishment.  Not to mention FCS football is a shell of its past.

Offline DLHotch

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 10:08:31 PM »
The University doesn't have the money to replace the HC.  Please keep in mind that 20% of FCS football programs make the playoffs.  This is not what I would call a great accomplishment.  Not to mention FCS football is a shell of its past.

33.3% of that 20% didn't survive the first round. 50% of the remainder won't survive past Saturday. Why not enjoy this year's accomplishments? It wasn't that long ago when we were sure that we wouldn't even be part of the 20% to get in and now we've survived round one. Being in the playoffs at all is more than we expected this season after the NIU and SDSU losses and now we've achieved more than 8 of the 24 playoff teams. Whether we win or lose this Saturday FCS is right where we belong. Surely beats the certain obscurity and the expense of FBS.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 05:28:08 AM »
The University doesn't have the money to replace the HC.  Please keep in mind that 20% of FCS football programs make the playoffs.  This is not what I would call a great  accomplishment.  Not to mention FCS football is a shell of its past.

Bad take.  The current version of the playoffs remains superior to the current version of the FBS.  And, since they've gone to 24 teams from 16 the playoffs haven't really been watered down too badly.  They Autobids from inferior conferences lose, but in 2016 the expansion helped YSU, which was a team that got hit toward the end of the year. YSU was one of the last teams in and wouldn't have been in if the playoffs weren't expanded and we made it to the national championship game.  We also played the most games of any team in college football, as a result of the extra game in the first round as well as the increase in the number of games played that year.

In reality nothing has really changed except that the possibility of a few more deserving teams get in, and YSU is the proof the expansion made the playoffs more competitive.  I agree that they need to eliminate the autobid from conferences that don't belong due to their lack of scholarships.  You should have the 63 to qualify for playoffs.

By the way, we may have beaten JMU in 2016 had players not been busted for smoking marijuana under Pelini.  We also had one player that tested positive for performance enhancing drugs.  That's what we got with Pelini. We lost a significant number of players going into the National championship game as a result of this issue. Bo produced a bad culture. Something that Phillips seems to have corrected dramatically.  These kids play for each other and exhibit very good traits which is something we should all be proud of.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 08:39:04 AM »

I'm 100% in on stopping the negativity on Phillips. We have a loot coming back and Brungard is going to be better than Davidson as will Harris outshine King. We should be 2 games better next year.

Brungard is NOT YSU's starter. I he is, then we will be worse than I already thought.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 01:00:27 PM »
Not hating on Phillips, like him as a coach!  But the offensive play-calling and secondary play are atrocious!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2023, 01:05:18 PM »

Brungard is NOT YSU's starter. I he is, then we will be worse than I already thought.

If not Brungard, and I am not saying he should be, who? Or someone not on the roster yet?

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne