Author Topic: NCAA Playoffs Week 2: YSU at Villanova Saturday 12/2 at 12pm  (Read 10032 times)

jcrum918@gmail.com

Re: NCAA Playoffs Week 2: YSU at Villanova Saturday 12/2 at 12pm
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2023, 03:59:40 PM »
I agree with the last few posts.  Great year.  Only bad loss was SDSU however they have done that to everyone.  Mitch had a great year.  Probably the best QB play I have ever watched at ysu. Others close may have been Brungard or Wells.  That being said he played his worst game of the season this week.  He overthrew receivers at least 4 times.  2 ended up being picks. Without those we may have won.  Either way I'm really looking forward to next year.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2023, 09:32:28 PM »
It will be interesting to see the moves in jour program over the off season. Who do we bring in from the Portal and recruiting? What assistant coaching changes do we make, etc. There are questions on most of the defense and some key offensive position namely qb, rb, and Oline. Either our current guys are in and develop further or we bring in new players. We will watch this off season, but the proof will be our first game at Villanova next August. I think DP deserves our support and I think he knows what is needed to further improve our program. And will do it the right way with good people.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2023, 10:08:48 PM »
With unlimited transferring, is getting someone from the portal even going to be a viable option for teams at this level going forward? I saw that JMUs QB is transferring to his 3rd team. Unlike years ago he can stay in FBS and not sit out. I don’t see the portal being a resource much for FCS teams in the future.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2023, 11:32:27 PM »
With unlimited transferring, is getting someone from the portal even going to be a viable option for teams at this level going forward? I saw that JMUs QB is transferring to his 3rd team. Unlike years ago he can stay in FBS and not sit out. I don’t see the portal being a resource much for FCS teams in the future.

The portal can still be our friend, but we should concentrate on successful D2 talent rather than unhappy FBS players. YSU under Phillips placed a tight end with the Colts and a running back with the Broncos. Both transferred up from the D2 ranks.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2023, 07:45:31 AM »
Im not gonna say DP is THE guy, because I don’t know if he is. But please stop with the “principal” or “plenty of D2/3 coaches” crap. You’re making yourselves look silly.  You act like we never went 33-28 over 4 years, and 21-24 in 4 of 5 years, or lost to Butler with not just a D2 high school principal, BUT rather a POWER 5 coach.  By your logic, we should have had 4-star recruits and back to back championships from 2014-2019 with said-type of coach.  Except, we had ALL of that.  And last I checked, BP doesn’t have an education degree nor did he ever coach at the D2/2 level.

Nice post.

I agree.

We should finish in the top 16 this year.  Let's say we finish 16th.  That puts us in the 88th percentile of all FCS teams.  We weren't competitive a few years ago. 

One last thing......I have a lot of respect for Bob Hannon's take with regard to FCS football.  He's exceptionally knowledgeable.  He not a casual fan by any means.  If you listen to his broadcasts he hints to everyone the talent depth and future of YSU football under Phillips and most of it is positive.

Everyone here should have known that when we played teams like USD and SDSU (both of them are still playing in the final 8) we were unable to get pressure on their QB and as a result they had all day to throw and make our defense look incompetent.  We are a couple of players away and another year of development away from fixing this issue.  I didn't understand how people can think you flip a switch with a coach and you get the best team in the country that plays the way you remember in the 1990's.  It's going to take time to build it right.  And as I've said before, we've gotten better under Phillips every single year.

Good take.

Nobody "Makes Your Defense Look Incompetent". It is like a 100m run ... if the guy in the lane next to you is faster, all things being equal, he will win. Likewise if the team that you are playing is better ...they will win. We had a good runner stumble against us (SIU) and we think we are "the stuff". I mean, what else did we do this season?We had a handful of good players make good plays. The problem was that Villanova's entire team was better than ours. I said that I would give Phillips another year, with the COVID season and I will. Let's start another thread with what you see for 2024 and beyond.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2023, 08:18:34 AM »
maybe we are not the stuff yet but we did do some good things this season. Would like to think that we had something to do with the way SIU played. Nova, SDSU and OSU were better then us.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2023, 10:36:28 AM »
Im not gonna say DP is THE guy, because I don’t know if he is. But please stop with the “principal” or “plenty of D2/3 coaches” crap. You’re making yourselves look silly.  You act like we never went 33-28 over 4 years, and 21-24 in 4 of 5 years, or lost to Butler with not just a D2 high school principal, BUT rather a POWER 5 coach.  By your logic, we should have had 4-star recruits and back to back championships from 2014-2019 with said-type of coach.  Except, we had ALL of that.  And last I checked, BP doesn’t have an education degree nor did he ever coach at the D2/2 level.

Nice post.

I agree.

We should finish in the top 16 this year.  Let's say we finish 16th.  That puts us in the 88th percentile of all FCS teams.  We weren't competitive a few years ago. 

One last thing......I have a lot of respect for Bob Hannon's take with regard to FCS football.  He's exceptionally knowledgeable.  He not a casual fan by any means.  If you listen to his broadcasts he hints to everyone the talent depth and future of YSU football under Phillips and most of it is positive.

Everyone here should have known that when we played teams like USD and SDSU (both of them are still playing in the final 8) we were unable to get pressure on their QB and as a result they had all day to throw and make our defense look incompetent.  We are a couple of players away and another year of development away from fixing this issue.  I didn't understand how people can think you flip a switch with a coach and you get the best team in the country that plays the way you remember in the 1990's.  It's going to take time to build it right.  And as I've said before, we've gotten better under Phillips every single year.

Good take.

Nobody "Makes Your Defense Look Incompetent". It is like a 100m run ... if the guy in the lane next to you is faster, all things being equal, he will win. Likewise if the team that you are playing is better ...they will win. We had a good runner stumble against us (SIU) and we think we are "the stuff". I mean, what else did we do this season?We had a handful of good players make good plays. The problem was that Villanova's entire team was better than ours. I said that I would give Phillips another year, with the COVID season and I will. Let's start another thread with what you see for 2024 and beyond.

I guarantee you that if you had better defensive coaches and a better DL we would have been able to stop every team. When your  DE's crash and lose cosntain it has nothing  to do with how how fast you run. 

When you don't have the athletes to get after a QB and you give them all day to throw, it doesn't matter how good your defensive backs are, they will get burned. 

You can slow very good teams with marginal athletes if they're playing together you can be a competent but outmatched defense., but when you make mistakes and you don't have the athletes it spells disaster.

As I've said before, Phillips has a very challenging job because he has to develop coaches AND players with pennies.  He cannot draw the best coaches due to pay.  If someone wants to donate to the team and buy excellent assistants, you would have a much better team and Phillips would look like a genius.

Bottom line  is when you don't do the fundamentals you are incompetent

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2023, 06:18:38 PM »
watched some of the nova/bunny game today, do not feel so bad about our loss to Nova. They were legit, gave SDSU all they could handle.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2023, 01:20:27 PM »
watched some of the nova/bunny game today, do not feel so bad about our loss to Nova. They were legit, gave SDSU all they could handle.

100% Agree, Villanova was an extremely good team.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2023, 03:00:49 PM »

100% Agree, Villanova was an extremely good team.

I watched a lot of it Villanova played well their QB made a few mistakes and their coach probably should have went for it on 4th and 1.   Weather and SD line wore on them as they got deep into the game.  Nova is better then us.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2023, 07:13:45 PM »
Off topic maybe, but Potesta is horrible

I’m out
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »
I second that about Potesta..  He is awful.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2023, 04:13:37 PM »
This topic deserves its own thread. Potesta is an embarrassment to the university every time he gets behind a microphone. One cliche after another, and no insight whatsoever into the game of basketball. I wonder if WKBN imposed this character on us. If you need a second person on the broadcast, which is debatable, use a kid from our sports broadcasting program.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2023, 08:08:20 PM »
South Dakota State is curb stomping Albany. We are better than Albany. What a s*** show

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2023, 08:11:28 PM »
Not a good showing so far for sure!