Author Topic: Playoffs if we win this week @ Murray State?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Playoffs if we win this week @ Murray State?
« on: November 15, 2023, 07:09:52 PM »
Brian McLaughlin of Hero Sports/Fan Buzz has us in with a win.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/group-of-5/fcs-playoffs-projection-week-11/

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Playoffs if we win this week @ Murray State?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 07:50:20 PM »
I dont think so!  This clown has us in over UNI if they lose!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 08:02:17 PM »
My apologizes, I was wrong on that!   But I still believe YSU does not get in, hope I am wrong!  Tp me it looks like SDS, SD,  UNI, ND, and NDS!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 08:37:32 PM »
Old subject that has been beat to death on this board, but at least 3 auto bids on this guys list that are a joke to be in the playoffs.

Get humans out of the process along with autobids.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 11:03:53 PM »
My apologizes, I was wrong on that!   But I still believe YSU does not get in, hope I am wrong!  Tp me it looks like SDS, SD,  UNI, ND, and NDS!

NDSU looked very good last week and UNI looked terrible. I expect NDSU to beat UNI. A 6-5 UNI team, with one very bad loss (Missouri State) and another shaky loss (Weber State at home) won't get in. Of course that does not mean that we will.

Also, watch the Illinois State at North Dakota game. Neither team plays much defense. If they don't have the dome disease like we do, Illinois State just might win that game, which would be extremely helpful for us.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 04:47:58 AM »
Old subject that has been beat to death on this board, but at least 3 auto bids on this guys list that are a joke to be in the playoffs.

Get humans out of the process along with autobids.

I totally agree.  YSUGO has been saying this for years.  Think about this for a moment, the winner of the Patriot League who is not serious about football and shares a conference commissioner, and has a limited number of scholarships (at least they did at one point) gets an autobid.  That's a total sc.  They will never be a true contender in the playoffs.  Never ever.. 

The whole playoff system is tainted by this problem.  Why? Because we were one of the last ones in the playoffs in 2016 and we beat everyone on our way to the title game.  Had  we not had 6 or kids test positive for marijuana (thanks for your leadership Pelini) we may have beaten the ambiguously gay dukes of JMU. My point here is that we played the most games of any team in college football, because we picked up an extra game in the play-in game and they added an extra week to the season that year.  Unless you get rid of the auto bids from conferences that will not be competitive, you will never truly know who the national champion is. It's why we play the games because anything could happen.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 08:23:42 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/11/youngstown-state-concludes-regular-season-at-murray-state/

:). I disagree that we want uni to win. That would hurt us.  Ndsu would then get in over us.  Name recognition and all that   I think us getting in is very possible.  Here is the best scenario in mind:
1)We Win.
2) NDSU beats UNI.  This knocks uni out of getting a spot at 6-5 or at least it should.
3)ISU beats UND. Leaves UND who we didn't play and could get in ahead of us at 6-5 and knocks them out to below us.
Both are doable however unfortunately ISU starting QB is hurt.

If this happens SDSU Wins conference, USD comes in 2 in front of us, NDSU would be above us and we would be 4 the team in over SUI who we beat handily.  If this scet plays out we may get 5 in but we would be 4.  Let's go to Tennessee and take care of business. By the way ISU crushed Murray with their backup QB last week.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »
jcrum is right, Neel is wrong. NDSU needs to beat UNI in order for the penguins to have any hope of making playoffs.

So rest easy guinpen, you can root against the Panthers this weekend.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 10:03:07 AM »
Unfortunately, I am thinking YSU is not that great right now odds wise for making playoffs. On paper it is somewhat between 60-70% odds, but they still need some help this weekend. If UNI wins consider playoffs gone.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 10:39:41 AM »
jcrum is right, Neel is wrong. NDSU needs to beat UNI in order for the penguins to have any hope of making playoffs.

So rest easy guinpen, you can root against the Panthers this weekend.

Thanks!

Offline ysu1982

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
Would not Northern Iowa get in over YSU at 5-3(6-5) even if they lose? They beat us and would finish ahead of us in the conference. If YSU wins and ND and NDS lose, YSU would finishes tied for 4th with Illinois State and YSU beat them. Not sure committee would take 4 top teams in conference, but I believe this is our best chance.

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 01:08:11 PM »
Good point 1982 however without 2 fbs games and our schedule I would think total d 1 wins is more important than conference schedule.  That's my though.  At one time you needed 7 d1 wins to be eligible.  I think they have allowed 6 to get teams in however there had to be a severe sos difference which I don't think there is this year. What helps us this year is some solid wins against Good teams.  Just my thoughts .  I guess win fist Saturday and see what happens. 

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 01:24:29 PM »
Would not Northern Iowa get in over YSU at 5-3(6-5) even if they lose? They beat us and would finish ahead of us in the conference. If YSU wins and ND and NDS lose, YSU would finishes tied for 4th with Illinois State and YSU beat them. Not sure committee would take 4 top teams in conference, but I believe this is our best chance.

Outside of the regular season conference champion, I do not believe anywhere in the NCAA FCS Playoff Criteria does it reference the conference rankings themselves. Unfortunately for UNI, you blew it last week when you got destroyed by Missouri State. Yes they would be in if they win as they'd have the H2H edge over NDSU, YSU, ILSU, and UND, all teams they beat. However, if they lose and finish 6-5, they have nobody to blame but themselves for missing out. They were on the verge of a seed if they had won out, but they laid an egg!

To me the best path is this:
- Obviously beat Murray State!
- NDSU over UNI - To me this is the single biggest game this weekend to improve our odds. Knocks UNI out.
- ILSU over UND - Knocks UND out and gets ILSU to 7 wins which helps our resume with the H2H.

If the above happens, we should be the 4th team in out of Valley ahead of SIU with the H2H, although they could get in as the 5th team in this scenario. We will talk about this in great depth tonight on our WeAreYoungstown weekly Twitter space.

GO UNI. GO ILSU.