Author Topic: Illinois State Week  (Read 5880 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Illinois State Week
« on: October 16, 2023, 09:37:34 PM »
Ok. Now that we are like a Jekyll and Hyde type team, what do we need to do to run the table starting this week with ILSU?  We have dug a deep hole. My biggest concern is our inability to put 4 quarters together. We have spurts where we look like a NC level team and times we look like we can’t beat Ursuline. Disappointing that we score 41 and 31 on the road and lose. 

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois State Week
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 10:31:55 PM »
Great questions pete. I think the guins will win this one, but it is notable that they played South Dakota State closer than UNI (SDSU beat Illinois State 40-21 as opposed to beating UNI 41-6, BUT the Illinois State game was an away game for the Jackrabbits).

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 08:16:04 AM »
Must win out. Only chance IMO. Though 7-4 with a loss to OSU, two 3 point losses on the road and a close loss (assuming) to the #1 team in the country would be considered at selection time but we know how the committee is. 8-3 is a must.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 11:47:01 AM »
I thought I read that SDSU pulled their QB early in the ILS game? They were up 21-0 in the first quarter.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 08:29:55 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 01:58:01 PM »
Must win out. Only chance IMO. Though 7-4 with a loss to OSU, two 3 point losses on the road and a close loss (assuming) to the #1 team in the country would be considered at selection time but we know how the committee is. 8-3 is a must.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. 7-4 (7-3 in FCS) puts us on the bubble... and we someheow never get the benefit of the doubt their. 8-3 and we're in

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 05:23:46 PM »
knowing the committee, they would probably leave us out at 8-3 anyway!   Which would be an embarrassment to FCS football!  They chose Delaware over YSU last year at 7-4, and that was a complete joke!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 05:38:12 PM »
knowing the committee, they would probably leave us out at 8-3 anyway!   Which would be an embarrassment to FCS football!  They chose Delaware over YSU last year at 7-4, and that was a complete joke!

Not to mention Delaware was losing consecutive games.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »
Guys, we need to show the committee that we can win multiple game-in-a-row. They need to show me this as well. If not, I do not wish to be embarrassed in the play-off with an appearance. BTW, at 8-3, YSU will have defeated #1 and #5. we are in (and at home) with out a doubt.

Also, let's not forget that we need to gain post-season exposure. YSU no longer has any idea what it takes to fight your way through the crowd of teams in the post-season. So maybe there is some good to an embarrassingly short run in the play-off, as opposed to none?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 08:51:21 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 10:17:43 AM »
Guys, we need to show the committee that we can win multiple game-in-a-row. They need to show me this as well. If not, I do not wish to be embarrassed in the play-off with an appearance. BTW, at 8-3, YSU will have defeated #1 and #5. we are in (and at home) with out a doubt.

Also, let's not forget that we need to gain post-season exposure. YSU no longer has any idea what it takes to fight your way through the crowd of teams in the post-season. So maybe there is some good to an embarrassingly short run in the play-off, as opposed to none?

Conference games are the same as playoff games, if not more challenging than facing most teams in the tournament.  There's such a stark difference between the MVFC teams and everyone else that we get playoff experience every week.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:25:03 AM by penguinpower »

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 08:26:37 PM »
What is with the the person posting non sports stuff to old threads?   not needed

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 09:19:37 AM »
ISU will not be an easy game. I am wondering what the line is for this. Maybe us by 2.5 or 3?
Still have hope for a playoff spot but as the article said, we have little margin of error.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 12:52:23 PM »
If we play as we can the whole game we will be fine
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 01:20:23 PM »
Have to put a whole game together. Sadly, even when we played SIU we struggled enough on offense that they went for it 2 times inside their 30 because they knew they could stop us offensively. ISUr has the best scoring defense in conference and averages over 400 yards on offense averaging over 35 points on offense. This is no cakewalk. Won’t be able to make this game but will be watching from out of state. Lose this and say goodbye to the playoffs for another year.

Go Guins
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 01:57:13 PM »
I am actually more optimistic about the making the post season even with a 7-4 (losing one more game to South Dakota State.
I know we didn’t make it last year at 7-4.
However, if the four loses are, Ohio State (#3 FBS), South Dakota (#2 at the time), South Dakota (#1) and Nothern Iowa (#10 at the time), coupling with a 31-3 win over then #5 rank Southern Illinois, IMO, I think even the biased selection committee is going have trouble not picking YSU.