Author Topic: Western Illinois leaving the MVFC for the Ohio Valley.  (Read 1816 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
A Penguin for life!!!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Western Illinois leaving the MVFC for the Ohio Valley.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 05:29:52 PM »
The OVC is not as stable as it used to be but I would say a good move for WIU.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 10:03:37 PM »
Was a good move. But we will keep trying to beat our heads against the wall with all the Dakotas to play for a third place finish and maybe every. 4 years  making the playoffs .  We are a small fish in the conference in regards to money etc.  But hell it’s the SEC of FBS.  Ask Missouri and teams like South Carolina or Vandy how that is working for them
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 10:41:59 PM »
Who will the conference target as a replacement?  Eastern Kentucky just left the OVC to join the A-Sun Conference in all sports.  I thought they were a better fit then Murray State but once the OVC started to crumble i'm sure they wanted to secure all sports.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 10:44:01 PM »
This was a long overdue move that benefits financially-stressed Western Illinois tremendously. They reunite in a conference with their rival, Eastern Illinois. They can compete immediately in the remnant of OVC football. Most importantly, they escape the Summit League and will see their transportation costs greatly reduced.

For us, we will no longer have to endure their horrible television announcers and Mickey Mouse football game production.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:53:53 PM by Wick250 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 10:53:14 PM »
Who will the conference target as a replacement?  Eastern Kentucky just left the OVC to join the A-Sun Conference in all sports.  I thought they were a better fit then Murray State but once the OVC started to crumble i'm sure they wanted to secure all sports.

My guess would be nobody.  Since the conference did not create divisions, there is not much need for another school. The MVC contingent within the MVFC orchestrated Murray State's addition for reasons of basketball. I guess my fear is that the Dakota schools will try to push St. Thomas out of Minnesota, the recently elevated DI member of the Summit League. That should be vetoed by all the MVC schools and by us.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 01:39:22 AM »
Missouri St. wants to move up to FBS eventually.  I saw something on the internet where I think the school prez said it as something he hopes happens. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 09:18:19 AM »
Missouri St. wants to move up to FBS eventually.  I saw something on the internet where I think the school prez said it as something he hopes happens.

This is exactly the type of program we need to emulate. great women's sports, with NCAA WBB Tourney victories over Missouri, Ohio State, Florida State and several more. 13 NCAA's & two final-4 appearances. They make the NCAA or NIT most every year. They need to move up now or never. They negotiated twice with the Big-12, but of their men's sports (especially their FB program) holds them back.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 08:36:58 PM »
Big 12?   Really?    not even 1/4 the budget the current big 12 schools have now.  Don't ever see it happening while we are all alive.  0% chance in hell

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »
Big 12?   Really?    not even 1/4 the budget the current big 12 schools have now.  Don't ever see it happening while we are all alive.  0% chance in hell

I think women's sports were treated differently back then, basically independent of men's programs. I do not think that is still the case, but maybe I mean Butler did not have the funds for the Big East and then look what happened.. Villanova caught wind and did the same. However/ SMS is not private.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 01:37:44 PM »
St Thomas out of Minnesota is a possibility of a good fit they are going into 2nd year Of FCS football and play Div 1 basketball already.  We played them in men's basketball like a few years ago and barely won.  Thoughts??