Author Topic: Huggins slur clouds future. Will Calhoun be next coach? If Huggins gets fired?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
First thoughts that came to my head was if they fire Huggins what effect on Calhoun.  I've always felt Calhoun would stay at YSU until Huggins called it quits.

I'm sure Huggins would be fired at many universities, but I'm not so sure at WVU

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Huggins is staying put.  Pay reduction as punishment and 3 game suspension.  Plus he had a multi year deal cut to a yearly deal.  If Calhoun can have the success he had last season this coming year he will be a hot commodity
in Div ! major coaching.    I bet Huggins calls it quits after next season anyway.  Food for thought

Offline Pens4Ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
With Huggins DUI in Pittsburgh last night (during the Taylor Swift concert), I think Calhoun could be facing a whirlwind week if WVU is ready to move on. At the very least, he's getting a call to talk. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Lets just do a trade!  WVU can have Calhoun and we'll take Huggins. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Calhoun's only chance to become the WVU head coach was to have Huggins retire in good graces with his administration.  Then he could have "hand-picked" his successor (like Tressel picked Heacock.)  If Huggins gets fired for bad behavior, the WVU administration will have little interest in a "Huggins man."

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Calhoun's only chance to become the WVU head coach was to have Huggins retire in good graces with his administration.  Then he could have "hand-picked" his successor (like Tressel picked Heacock.)  If Huggins gets fired for bad behavior, the WVU administration will have little interest in a "Huggins man."
Great point.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/06/17/five-candidates-to-replace-bob-huggins-at-west-virginia/

The competition will be tough for JD. There might be lots of coaches in the mid major with established records (winning multiple conference championships and with NCAA appearances) who are ready to make the jump to a power 5 team. JD only won the regular season for the first time (not even the league championship) and that just simplify might not be not enough.
If JT didn’t make multiple playoff appearances as well as winning 4 national championships, he might not even get an interview let alone getting the HC job at OSU.
If JD can make some noise in the next couple of years, he will get his shot at a major program while not necessarily at WV.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
I see a current assistant was named interim head coach. Search for full time head coach after the season.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Dodged a bullet with this one.  He has the opportunity next season to get the job if this guy doesn't pan out.
We should be good again next year if not better.