Author Topic: YSU Spring game  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Spring game
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2023, 05:28:31 PM »

I agree that Brungard looked good as the scrimmage progressed. He can be a valuable weapon as a wildcat quarterback. But he is short. I can't see him as a full-time starter down the road. He would never see above the linemen while standing in the pocket.

[/quote]

I thought Brungard is taller and can throw better than Crenshaw who was supposed to take us to the promised land (for 2 years). I hope he can do better.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 05:25:48 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy

mailto:?subject=Observations%20from%20YSU%E2%80%99s%20Red-White%20spring%20game&body=https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/04/observations-from-ysus-red-white-spring-game/

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 09:54:26 AM »
I know this sounds negative and I liked to watch him; but I would give McLaughlin back in a second for a solid combo like Ruiz & Webb. Webb had more speed and and Ruiz had far more power. Webb puled away from anyone on the field. If he got through, it was ALWAYS 6-points. Jaleel (by himself) was not the same.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 11:36:16 AM »
I know this sounds negative and I liked to watch him; but I would give McLaughlin back in a second for a solid combo like Ruiz & Webb. Webb had more speed and and Ruiz had far more power. Webb puled away from anyone on the field. If he got through, it was ALWAYS 6-points. Jaleel (by himself) was not the same.

Ruiz, Webb and McLaughlin are all good runners. I thought Webb had greater quickness and agility where McLaughlin had better straight line speed.
The reason I like to rank McLaughlin higher is that he ran without a supporting passing game (Ruiz/Webb played on the team with a good passing attack).
McLaughlin was able to gain all those yardage when the defense knew that he was going to run.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »
I was very pleasantly surprised this spring game. QB play continues to look pretty good, offensive and defensive line play looks to be pretty good. We might have a pretty decent year all things considered.