Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 20390 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2023, 04:46:17 PM »
It looks like one can enter the transfer portal if one has graduated from a 4 year institution and is going to another institution as a graduate student (and can obtain eligibility right away).

All others will require some type of waivers from NCAA.

The following article gives some additional information on the subject:

What are the NCAA Basketball transfer rules? A guide into the portal process
by Tristan Freeman 1 month ago Follow @hoopsnut351

The transfer portal has become more important than ever in NCAA Basketball. Here’s a look at how the process works and when to focus on it.

One of the most decisive topics in NCAA Basketball has been the transfer portal and whether or not it’s good for the game. But one thing is clear, it’s here to stay. Last season, around 1,500 players transferred at the D-I level alone, which is around four a team.

The rules have been all over the place from the NCAA, with many players transferring more than once, with most finding a way to get a waiver for various reasons that include being “ran off” from the previous school and not having a scholarship available, a coaching change, personal reasons and etc.

It’s been viewed as the “wild wild west” by pundits, coaches, and others, with calls being made to reign things in. And the NCAA, through various committees and boards, has come up with various changes to try and simplify the process for all.

New 60-day window

There’s a “window” for the time for players to officially enter the NCAA Basketball transfer portal for the different sports seasons, with winter athletes (basketball), having 60 days to enter after the conclusion of the regular-season/conference tournaments. So for the men and women, the deadline would be May 11th. Anyone who enters during this period will be able to become immediately eligible if it’s their first time transferring. Anyone who enters afterward will have to apply for a waiver, something that isn’t guaranteed by the NCAA. Grad students are exempt from this rule so veterans can move at any time.

Tougher requirements for multiple transfers

The NCAA has been trying to get out of the waiver business and has made it clear that anyone can transfer one-time without issue, as long as they’re academically eligible of course. But if they move a second time and aren’t a grad transfer candidate, they’ll have to get a waiver, which is going to have stricter requirements. Coach changing and personal reasons are likely to remain options but as the NCAA showed with West Virginia transfer Jose Perez, they’ll deny a player to get eligible if it’s not done in the offseason.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »
I seen Mateo play in High School 1 time. I think he had 18 points and 11 rebs in only 30 minutes.
He was a man amongst boys it seemed like.  Remember he played one year with oscar S who plays for kentucky.
I went to see them play Because of that.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2023, 05:09:57 PM »
Mateo committed to Slippery Rock for his final year to eligibility

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2023, 05:26:18 PM »
Mateo committed to Slippery Rock for his final year to eligibility

Not sure if coach C recruited him but going to Slippery rock is a wtf to me.   Definitely would of contributed at YSU.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2023, 07:41:28 PM »
According to verbal commits we did not recruit him

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2023, 08:09:30 PM »
According to verbal commits we did not recruit him

My point meant to be if he had contact with him as a transfer.  I know from first hand they didn't offer out of HS thinking he would be higher profile than YSU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2023, 10:22:10 AM »
It looks like one can enter the transfer portal if one has graduated from a 4 year institution and is going to another institution as a graduate student (and can obtain eligibility right away).

All others will require some type of waivers from NCAA.

The following article gives some additional information on the subject:

What are the NCAA Basketball transfer rules? A guide into the portal process
by Tristan Freeman 1 month ago Follow @hoopsnut351

The transfer portal has become more important than ever in NCAA Basketball. Here’s a look at how the process works and when to focus on it.

One of the most decisive topics in NCAA Basketball has been the transfer portal and whether or not it’s good for the game. But one thing is clear, it’s here to stay. Last season, around 1,500 players transferred at the D-I level alone, which is around four a team.

The rules have been all over the place from the NCAA, with many players transferring more than once, with most finding a way to get a waiver for various reasons that include being “ran off” from the previous school and not having a scholarship available, a coaching change, personal reasons and etc.

It’s been viewed as the “wild wild west” by pundits, coaches, and others, with calls being made to reign things in. And the NCAA, through various committees and boards, has come up with various changes to try and simplify the process for all.

New 60-day window

There’s a “window” for the time for players to officially enter the NCAA Basketball transfer portal for the different sports seasons, with winter athletes (basketball), having 60 days to enter after the conclusion of the regular-season/conference tournaments. So for the men and women, the deadline would be May 11th. Anyone who enters during this period will be able to become immediately eligible if it’s their first time transferring. Anyone who enters afterward will have to apply for a waiver, something that isn’t guaranteed by the NCAA. Grad students are exempt from this rule so veterans can move at any time.

Tougher requirements for multiple transfers

The NCAA has been trying to get out of the waiver business and has made it clear that anyone can transfer one-time without issue, as long as they’re academically eligible of course. But if they move a second time and aren’t a grad transfer candidate, they’ll have to get a waiver, which is going to have stricter requirements. Coach changing and personal reasons are likely to remain options but as the NCAA showed with West Virginia transfer Jose Perez, they’ll deny a player to get eligible if it’s not done in the offseason.

The NCAA has offered graduate transfers for many years now. Think of it as a reward for doing what you are actually supposed to do in college .. go to school.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2023, 12:08:50 PM »
I do not know hoe many of you watched the D 2 Championship game.  several of those kids can play mid-major D1.  all you have to do is teach them how to play defense.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2023, 03:42:50 PM »
Jacori Owens in transfer portal.  Another no-brainer.  Owens didn't get much playing time in his 2 years at YSU.

Two bigs gone so it looks like coach has to go out and bring in some beef.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2023, 05:35:26 PM »
So far we have 4 scholarships avail.  Gotta be big men.  Portal???

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2023, 06:58:40 AM »
Did Jacori withdraw his name from the portal?   cannot find his name in there anymore.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2023, 08:55:10 AM »
Did Jacori withdraw his name from the portal?   cannot find his name in there anymore.

https://verbalcommits.com/players/jacori-owens

I remember Coach Calhoun saying at the beginning of the season he was a work in progress.  Last year I thought he possibly had some potential, but it seemed like when he got in games this year he just looked lost and didn't have good mobility.  Didn't seem like he really progressed any so I figured he would be transferring.  He probably should be at D2 or D3

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2023, 10:03:47 AM »

I remember Coach Calhoun saying at the beginning of the season he was a work in progress.  Last year I thought he possibly had some potential, but it seemed like when he got in games this year he just looked lost and didn't have good mobility.  Didn't seem like he really progressed any so I figured he would be transferring.  He probably should be at D2 or D3

[/quote]

I saw him playing in those games. He had difficulties in getting into the flow of the game and in matching up against the opponents. Just like you said that he just looked lost.

He has not demonstrated that he is a D-1 player ( not sure if he is D-2 or D-3).

The question is, if he decides not to enter the transfer portal, will coach let him keep the scholarship.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2023, 09:28:13 PM »
Myles Hunter says hasta la vista.   Did not think Myles would be in the portal since he was easliy one of the first subs off the bench getting decent playing time.   Coach C is going to need a big haul.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2023, 09:39:20 PM »
Did not expect that!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne