Author Topic: REGULAR SEASON CONFERENCE CHAMPS  (Read 4255 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: REGULAR SEASON CONFERENCE CHAMPS
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 09:51:57 AM »
I remember when Coach Calhoun came in he wanted to bring a fast-paced, exciting style of basketball to YSU.  He wanted to press for much of the game and run up and down the court, but unfortunately early on he didn't have the players to do it and had to learn to adjust.  He then wanted to bring in his style of players and that was working then the transfer portal changed everything.  I know he's said the transfer portal and the analytics has changed how he coaches and he's become a better coach.  I definitely agree with that.  I thought in the early years he'd get out coached and not make the proper adjustments.  YSU has become such a better second half time team.

Obviously DQ, Naz, Covington & Akuchie were his guys he brought in and were the face of YSU.  It was tremendous Akuchie stayed with the program and of course Covington putting in 6 years and getting to experience a championship.  Hard to imagine someone will ever put in the years Covington did thanks to the extra year from COVID, the extra year from his injury and not giving into the transfer portal.

Obviously everyone had to deal with COVID, but I feel like it derailed some of the progress Coach was making.  It obviously cost them a post-season tourney the one year then it really killed the crowds and excitement that was building and kind of had to start over.

I always thought there was some weird disconnect in DQ's last year here.  Obviously the injury was a lot of it, but something changed during that season; he also took a lot at the NBA, which there was no way he was going to get any interest from the NBA.  Fordham is having a great season and DQ is averaging a career best 17 ppg & his FT shooting is up to a career best 84%; however, his stats and shooting % really aren't much different than his years at YSU.  I would take Cohill over him if there was a choice of having one or the other. 

From what Coach had said in a recent press conference, he still stays in contact all the time with Naz and Akuchie.  He has never mentioned DQ.  He did make a remark that losing Naz was a surprise.  I was ok with DQ leaving because it appeared he didn't want to be at YSU any longer, but was disappointed to lose Naz.  I think he could have been incredible last year.  And while he got to play some on a bigger stage at Clemson, I'm not sure he really gained anything by it.  He was trying out to make Jacksonville Jags as a TE.  To accomplish what YSU did last year was still impressive considering the circumstances. 

What Coach did in the transfer portal this year has been tremendous.  I know there was a lot of talk how YSU was one of the best in the portal, but you never know how that plays out and how everyone meshes.  And recruiting Lovelace was a big one.  Hopefully they can retain him cause he has the chance to be spectacular.  And hopefully they do well in the portal again for next year.  You have to wonder about guys like Shemar, Hunter & Dunn, who will all be seniors next year.  Their PT has all decreased as the season has went on. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 10:39:04 AM »
Does ANYONE know if we can get any of the seniors back for next year.  Other than the grads and Cohill what about Shelton,  McBride or Rush?    Are they eligible for an extra year or have they expired their eligibility?  Can someone shed some light on this?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 10:44:42 AM »
We have 3 committed for next year and one of them is 7-3.  Not good stats though.  Skinny too. Like 190 or 200 pounds.  He will.need to add some weight before he arrives here. Project at best.  The other two are 6-4,I believe.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
Does ANYONE know if we can get any of the seniors back for next year.  Other than the grads and Cohill what about Shelton,  McBride or Rush?    Are they eligible for an extra year or have they expired their eligibility?  Can someone shed some light on this?

I've wondered this as well and even on Cohill as there hasn't been anything mentioned.  Cohill sat out the 2020-2021 season due to injury.  I would think they would all be eligible for the extra year due to COVID, but not sure.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 11:44:26 AM »
I think of the starters, only Rush is back. Not sure about the others.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 12:14:59 PM »
How about someone from the athletic dept that is in the know answer this?  I know they read this stuff on here

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 12:22:14 PM »
We now have 4 committed!  One is 6-8, two are 6-4 and Dynes is 7-3!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2023, 12:26:22 PM »
Gabriel Dynes, Christian Kirkland, Anthony Breland and David Wilkerson are the new recruits coming in! Wilkerson is a junior!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2023, 12:36:38 PM »
I thought I heard in one of the ESPN+ broadcasts which someone mentioned that Cohill has one of year of eligibility left. No sure if that is true

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2023, 02:54:02 PM »
That would be nice!  But think Cohill is done!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2023, 03:35:24 PM »
Is Christian Kirkland the 6-8 recruit?   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2023, 03:40:55 PM »
Christiana Kirkland is form Philly area and he is a good athlete i just looked him up and he has some video in HUDL that shows him playing above the rim.   Start winning and we get good players.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 04:55:34 PM »
Rush and Cohill have an extra year of eligibility next year but I can only see Rush coming back.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 05:01:01 PM »
Rush and Cohill have an extra year of eligibility next year but I can only see Rush coming back.

Too bad. I think he is good enough to start for any Power 5 team.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 05:44:23 PM »
Mud i'm with you on DQ.  I think he wanted out even though he started every game since he was a freshman.  I too noticed how Naz get's some love from coach C and never hear anything about DQ although I don't want to speculate.  DQ has been Fordham's top scorer the last two seasons although his fg% is only at 38%.

I'm a little confused also on B Rush.  I think he has one more year even though he's listed as a senior.

Got some thoughts on who may or maynot transfer out but don't want to get the board bothered especially and hopefully there is a lot more basketball to be played.  That something we can talk to after we win the NCAA championship. ;D