Author Topic: Milwaukee  (Read 4263 times)

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Milwaukee
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 09:22:10 AM »
RED OUT.  WEAR EWD EVERYONE!!!!!!
For sole possession of 1st place

Haven’t been on this board for a long time & don’t see a reply or new post button, so had to use the quote feature.

Was at the game, my first in many years. Very impressed with the overall play & athleticism. I sat in the section behind Milwaukee’s bench. One question, why don’t they use the upper level bleachers on the one side? Ticket sales? I would have thought they could have at least half filled it, maybe sold it out?

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 09:48:26 AM »
Probably because until this season it made Beeghley look empty. If we have another year like this they will need those stands. I was there when Valpo was here in 2000 and it was jammed with 6,000 fans. The announced crowd last night was 4,400 but I don’t believe it counts students. This is the best student body we have ever had for basketball.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »
Probably because until this season it made Beeghley look empty. If we have another year like this they will need those stands. I was there when Valpo was here in 2000 and it was jammed with 6,000 fans. The announced crowd last night was 4,400 but I don’t believe it counts students. This is the best student body we have ever had for basketball.

I was at those Valpo games when Bryce Drew played. One of those games, I sat in the 1st row of the bleachers behind the basket. I see those are gone now, probably have been for many years. Those were great seats
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:21:16 AM by GoGuins »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 10:41:03 AM »
Of course, we are back in the bracketology consideration playing Baylor in the latest version!  Still have plenty of work to do before getting there!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2023, 10:43:18 AM »
I know I'm beating a dead hores but in the 70s during Jeff Covington era those bleachers were never pushed in.  Many games they had fire marshall nightmares.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2023, 12:39:20 PM »
Thought that was pretty much a total team effort.  Thought everyone played well other than Brandon Rush struggled shooting.  The points off turnovers, 32-6, was incredible and that was the big key.  Had YSU shot their average they probably would have won by 40.  Adrian Nelson has been unbelievable of late.  It's hard to believe he wasn't a starter at NKU.  Noticed Covington didn't play again. 

I had originally thought only the top 4 got a first round bye, but it's actually 5; however, the 5th seed goes on the road to play the 4th seed.  The win guaranteed YSU of at least a top 4 seed

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 04:40:32 PM »

Haven’t been on this board for a long time & don’t see a reply or new post button, so had to use the quote feature.

Was at the game, my first in many years. Very impressed with the overall play & athleticism. I sat in the section behind Milwaukee’s bench. One question, why don’t they use the upper level bleachers on the one side? Ticket sales? I would have thought they could have at least half filled it, maybe sold it out?

They use that side for pregame festivities for the students. Have tables and chairs set up, food and drinks and t shirt giveaway and stuff like that.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2023, 10:36:39 AM »
Another reason we need a complete remodel of Beeghly like this off season.  Loges are needed.   That is why they use the side without upper bleachers.   My guess is a remodel soon or we lose Calhoun.  He mentions that we need an update to the arena like now.   I hope they have a plan in place or we cannot keep Coach very much longer. He is a hot commodity.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 11:43:21 AM »
Other high-profile programs are going to be knocking down our doors to convince Coach to leave YSU!

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2023, 02:31:52 PM »

They use that side for pregame festivities for the students. Have tables and chairs set up, food and drinks and t shirt giveaway and stuff like that.

That’s nice for the students, but they’re losing out on revenue for the program IMO tickets, concessions, & parking. I’m sure they could find somewhere else in Beeghly to host their activities
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 02:32:53 PM by GoGuins »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2023, 08:39:29 PM »

That’s nice for the students, but they’re losing out on revenue for the program IMO tickets, concessions, & parking. I’m sure they could find somewhere else in Beeghly to host their activities

Well that would require a competent marketing and administration department ;)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »
Strollo walks around the arena like he cannot be bothered.  IDK.  It seems like he is bidding his time for retirement or something.  State of Ohio has if you put 20 years in the stare system you qualify for retirement i believe.  Correct me if I am wrong.    WE NEED A NEW ARENA NOW

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2023, 11:43:06 PM »
Stare should be state system.  My bad

BushwoodCC

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2023, 11:03:30 AM »
Strollo walks around the arena like he cannot be bothered.  IDK.  It seems like he is bidding his time for retirement or something.  State of Ohio has if you put 20 years in the stare system you qualify for retirement i believe.  Correct me if I am wrong.    WE NEED A NEW ARENA NOW

Have you ever thought of just going up and talking to him instead of claiming on a message board he doesn't want to be bothered? He will talk to you if you make the effort.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2023, 12:00:51 PM »
"WE NEED A NEW ARENA NOW"

Nobody would disagree with Pride's statement.  Here is where the reality check rears its ugly head.

Within the past year, we just completed a ma$$ive fund-raising project.  The goal was 100 million that many thought was impossible to attain.  We ended up reaching 125 million, a testament to Tressel and Paul McFadden. Going back to those same donors so soon is just not feasible.

Remember that the construction of the media center in Stambaugh stadium was delayed for a year because we were having trouble raising enough funds to complete the project.

The best that we can hope for is replacing the seats in our venerable gym.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:01:34 PM by Wick250 »