Author Topic: WIU in Game  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
Re: WIU in Game
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2022, 09:43:08 PM »
So once again, I don't understand how people could think that we would be in the running for anything other than mediocre.  We were 3-7 last year. 2-6 in the conference.  The previous year was the spring Covid season where we were 1-6. 

We are sanctioned on recruiting due to Pelini too.. does anyone remember that gift that keeps on giving?

We are better than we were in the last 2 years and we have a new defensive coordinator that had to "install" his new defense. I get it that the coaching needs work, but we don't pay well and that's an AD thing. It may change with some wins.

We had a huge recruiting cla$$ that was at the top of the league last spring.  We were hamstrung from Pelini NCAA violations and lost a recruiting season due to Covid bullsh** (which is a scam to a$$ist in stealing an election).  So we basically have had a coach with 2 real seasons to recruit.

The kids aren't ready, but they are better.  One thing to take a look at is our 4th quarter performance in the last few games.  We wear people down and we move the ball late in games.  That in itself is a great sign.  They keep playing every single play and tonight it paid off.  That's an excellent lesson. 

Now the coaching needs to be scrutinized too.  But this type of play was acceptable when Tressel was here because the expectations were low. And then we all ended up trusting him when he began to win titles.  But those games were never perfect and outside of 1993 and especially 1994 we played a lot of complimentary football.  The best defensive was 1994.  We haven't had one like that since.  But we always found ways to win games, especially close games.  That's what the kids are learning now.  How many times did Tressel run the damn ball off tackle?  We played zone defense as well.  But it seemed (outside of 1993 and 1994) that we would do enough to eek out games in the 4th quarter.  Phillips needs 2 more big cla$$es and we will be much better.  Better athletes take pressure off of needing perfect coaching. 

The real question is if this formula still works with the better accuracy and higher level of competition.

I agree with EVERYTHING mentioned above.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2022, 10:07:03 PM »
Don't want to be the guy who uses that we're a young team but I just looked at the team roster and there are few seniors.  There are tons of freshmen and redshirt freshmen on this roster which was a surprise since I haven't really checked before.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2022, 10:17:55 PM »
Just watched a replay of the last 7 minutes and was still nervous. So many things went our way, blown coverages injury to save a TO etc.

We have lost games that way, nice to win one.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2022, 11:17:29 PM »
You're not allowed to say anything negative about the Elementary Principal posing as a D1 Head Football Coach.

Agree, he has no business being a HC at this level

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2022, 11:39:19 PM »
With all of our growing pains, if the oc was just consistently conservative inside the ten yard line, we would be in better shape. Two classic examples today.  First drive, second and six from the nine yard line.  He throws two passes and then kicks the field goal.  Fourth quarter, third and less than two from the ten, he throws into the end zone on third down.  Then the fourth down pass was dropped but probably short of the first down marker anyway.

Let's see.  We have the best back in FCS. His relief is an acceptable complimentary runner. Yet we can't pound the ball in for the last ten yards?  Ridiculous. The only time Tressel ever threw from inside the ten was on play-action, usually to a wide open tight end.

We lost the North Dakota game by passing needlessly in the red zone.  We should have lost this game today for the same stupid reason. I'm not asking for genius strategy, just plain common sense.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2022, 12:11:43 AM »
I like DP as head coach but he needs to fire the OC tomorrow. The worst play calling in the history of YSU football occurred today. If it wasn’t for the WIU OC being worse than the one we have we would have lost. Throwing the ball on 3rd and 4 was the stupidest thing ever and we would have no shot if that didn’t happen. 

Run #8 until he is exhausted. WTF are we doing on offense!!!!!  Trying to score on every play is no way to win a game!! It’s a war of attrition that this OC had no idea about. Throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 two times inside their 15 with #8 on your team???’  W in the holy F is he thinking!!!  Run #8 two times!! Disgusting and disgusted! 

On another note!  Colt is ice!  Thank God we have him!  We got the win which we should have had no shot at and that is the way the ball bounces. We got a break!  Take advantage of it and let’s get the Coyotes!!

Go Guins!!

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2022, 12:47:37 AM »
We won!!

ESPN had the score flipped for a few hours after the game. I came here to read the comments and it sounded like we lost, what a relief.

Dissapointing performance, from the sound of it, but any MVFC win is a good win

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2022, 09:35:36 AM »
You're not allowed to say anything negative about the Elementary Principal posing as a D1 Head Football Coach.

Yes, that guy who does the 5th quarter show called a fan an 'a-hole' because he began to comment on the comedy of bad play calls. It is like we are supposed to be excited about every win and excuse every loss. I mean it is not as if we caught fire and dominated. WIU executed effectively against us the ENTIRE game.

Our defense gave up 3rd and "a quarter mile" on multiple occasions. In short, we had no way to win this game on our own.  BTW coach Phillips. when you have 2:09 left in a game with a TO ... and your opponent has no time outs: YOU KICK THE BALL DEEP!!!!! Not on-side kick. Our defense had to force a 3 & out no matter what; so why not do it on their side of the field?! I guess even our own staff had no faith in our defense! This is why I question whether or not we have the right staff in place. The only reason we survived was the fact that the on-side kick sailed and bounced. Otherwise WIU would have been almost in FG range from the first snap.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 09:38:37 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
The kicker saved the staffs ass today.  Like I said we got a gift and it’s a win.  My question to the board back in the day we were known for having some good defenses.  Physical and good line play.  Why can’t we get back to that level.  Our Achilles heel seems to be that ask Wolford and Qb right now ask Phillips.  When we lose #8 next year will be tough he’s our playbook and we will struggle I don’t see much waiting in the wings?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »
I would like us to win the game because we are a better team/ with better coaches instead of because the other team is worse or with worse coaching.

I still could not process how WIU coaches could make those mistakes….. if it took us 4 plays to score the TD (instead of 2 plays), the game would be over. If they didn’t pass on the third down, the game would be over.
It took a perfect storm for us to win, including the 2 points after TD and a Injured WIU player that sopped the clock to save us the Timeout (which allowed #8 to Gail another 5 yds before the FG)
Well, I would rather be lucky than good….

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2022, 01:14:01 PM »
Folks it was 13-10 going into the 4th quarter and WIU had only punted twice.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2022, 01:48:02 PM »
The resumes of our staff are weak and its evident every Saturday.  Can you imagine if #8 wasn't here?  He is gifted and not in need of coaching.  That can't be said for the rest of the roster.     

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2022, 08:14:23 PM »
We better hit the portal for a few running backs because even our backup is a senior.   

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2022, 08:35:22 PM »
I like DP as head coach but he needs to fire the OC tomorrow. The worst play calling in the history of YSU football occurred today. If it wasn’t for the WIU OC being worse than the one we have we would have lost. Throwing the ball on 3rd and 4 was the stupidest thing ever and we would have no shot if that didn’t happen. 

Run #8 until he is exhausted. WTF are we doing on offense!!!!!  Trying to score on every play is no way to win a game!! It’s a war of attrition that this OC had no idea about. Throwing the ball on 3rd and 2 two times inside their 15 with #8 on your team???’  W in the holy F is he thinking!!!  Run #8 two times!! Disgusting and disgusted! 

On another note!  Colt is ice!  Thank God we have him!  We got the win which we should have had no shot at and that is the way the ball bounces. We got a break!  Take advantage of it and let’s get the Coyotes!!

Go Guins!!

He can't fire the coach. $$$$ is required.