Author Topic: Duquesne Week  (Read 3683 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Duquesne Week
« on: August 29, 2022, 03:35:49 PM »
Well, it is gameweek folks! I am very excited for the start of the season. Duquesne did have the advantage of playing a week 0 game (against Florida State losing 47-7). I think the guins come ready to play their first game and get a comfortable win margin. Thoughts?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne Week
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »
Well, it is gameweek folks! I am very excited for the start of the season. Duquesne did have the advantage of playing a week 0 game (against Florida State losing 47-7). I think the guins come ready to play their first game and get a comfortable win margin. Thoughts?

I watched highlights of that game. The big plays of FSU’s running destroyed the Dukes. They had difficulty In tackling the ball carriers.

We need to get our ground game going. The Dukes really didn’t look all that bad. We need to be cautious.

Remembering the Butler game…..

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 05:50:06 PM »
Don't underestimate any opponent.   Remember Duquesne made the playoffs.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 06:44:43 PM »
We have teetered at the .500 winning percentage for years.  We are feared by no one.  Nothing comes easy for YSU Football.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 06:58:24 PM »
Last season Duquesne was crushed by TCU in their opener, then went to Athens the next week and took down Ohio University.  I'm sure that our coaches have made that point abundantly clear to our team.

This is the third season for the new regime. I expect substantial progress on the defensive side of the ball through the addition of several transfers and the maturation of our young players. If the O-line has improved, admittedly a big if, we should have a dynamic offense with our skilled athletes.

Saturday will either be the first signs of a renaissance for YSU football, or it will be proof that we made a mistake with our coaching hire.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »

I watched highlights of that game. The big plays of FSU’s running destroyed the Dukes. They had difficulty In tackling the ball carriers.

We need to get our ground game going. The Dukes really didn’t look all that bad. We need to be cautious.

Remembering the Butler game…..

Oh I know. I just don't think that the guins will overlook this team. I truly don't believe that is the type of culture that DP is trying to establish.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 07:14:25 PM »
Don't underestimate any opponent.   Remember Duquesne made the playoffs.

They didn't make the playoffs since 2018, not that means much. They are a good team. Their defensive line seemed disruptive to Florida State's offensive line at times.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 07:33:24 PM »
Going to be an interesting season. I expect better results but how much exactly?...

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 10:45:26 PM »
I’m pretty optimistic. The 4 big losses we had last year we’re to UNI THE DSUs and a big ten school. Besides that we lost 2 by 3 points and blew one halftime lead. Not to mention all three teams we did beat made the playoffs.
We also played zero cupcake games last year.

I guess what I’m saying is we were pretty close to a .500 quality team in 21, so I could see this being a 7 win season at least

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 09:16:52 AM »
I’m pretty optimistic. The 4 big losses we had last year we’re to UNI THE DSUs and a big ten school. Besides that we lost 2 by 3 points and blew one halftime lead. Not to mention all three teams we did beat made the playoffs.
We also played zero cupcake games last year.

I guess what I’m saying is we were pretty close to a .500 quality team in 21, so I could see this being a 7 win season at least

Kandrase I like your optimism! I am also optimistic.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 10:56:15 AM »
Coach’s press conference on YouTube

https://youtu.be/8uD1j6XI9sA

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 07:22:35 PM »
Watching Penguin Gameday, still not quite over, but have interviewed a defensive player and now a coach and we STILL do not know what the defense scheme we are running this year is. Lots of talk about, playing fast, knowing what assignment to be in ect. Playing with quickness and intensity. Nothing about the scheme information itself. So... total mystery till Saturday what we are even running  :angel:

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 08:50:54 PM »
Notice the PNEGUIN GAMEDAY spelling

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 08:53:23 PM »
Watching Penguin Gameday, still not quite over, but have interviewed a defensive player and now a coach and we STILL do not know what the defense scheme we are running this year is. Lots of talk about, playing fast, knowing what a$$ignment to be in ect. Playing with quickness and intensity. Nothing about the scheme information itself. So... total mystery till Saturday what we are even running  :angel:

I watched the show and I agree with you since I also did not learn a damn thing from HC and DC (besides focusing on today, we are stronger and faster & can play fast)
I still don’t know how they have improved on Crenshaw’s passing game and our poor defense. What changes were devised and implemented? Playing fast is not going to do it if they haven’t figured out the “why” and “how”.
I will find out Saturday to see if I am completely off base.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 09:18:28 PM »
Looked at some video Lenoir Rhyne film from last year
Looks like they run a 4-2-5 and some 4-3.  With our LB situation I can see 4-2