Author Topic: YSU vs CSU  (Read 2905 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs CSU
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:23 PM »
That was not a charge.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs CSU
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:54:44 PM »
you going to call anything other than that at Cleveland State?   Cleveland State fans would have had a fit!  What few there are!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:22:38 PM »
Man this team just can't find ways win to these games at  the end.  Both games against CSU came down to Cohill with the ball in his to win it; first game he misses the layup and this time gets called for the charge.  He was tremendous tonight, but boy if he kicked it out to Shemar in the corner he was wide open and Shemar rarely misses when he's wide open. 

Give YSU a ton of credit for hanging tough in this one.  There were a few occasions where it felt like CSU was going to pull away.  YSU did a great job getting it down to 1 at half and Cohill had a short jumper in the first possession of the 2nd half to take the lead and missed and CSU looked like they were going to run away with as YSU couldn't score.  YSU staved them off and made it a game then CSU pulled away to 11 and it looked over at that point; however, that stretch when YSU got it down to 1 was probably the best they played on both sides all year.  Reminded me of 2 years ago.  It was a shame Akuchie didn't knock down that one open look he had at a 3 as it was down and come back out. 

The first game I felt like YSU outplayed CSU and gave it away, this game was the opposite.  These closes losses have been killers.  YSU is a few possessions away from battling for first place in the league.  Said it many times, but outside of the 2nd half of the WVU game and that 22-0 run by Oakland and this team has had a shot to win every game this year.  Hopefully the tide will turn down the stretch and YSU can win these types of games.

I thought it was a great atmosphere.  CSU fans would have come unglued if they didn't call that a charge at the end.  Thought YSU played very well defensively to hold them to 64 and turn them over 21 times.  Their starters only scored 32 points!  Thought YSU left some points on the board at the foul line.  They were 15-21 but missed 2 front ends of 1 & 1's early and it was Cohill that missed 3 FT and Shemar just 1 of 3.  Of course Ogoro missed his front end of the 1 & 1 and is now under 32% at the line. 

Not good again to get burnt on the last inbounds play as CSU threw the long pa$$ and Gommillion had the easy dunk.  Cohill damn near made that miracle three quarter shot at the end; not sure if it would have counted though. 

Feel like now YSU has to beat PFW Sunday to stay at .500 and avoid dropping 2 games under.  If they can do that, they have 4 very winnable up next.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:35:10 PM »
That would be a terrible loss at Fort Wayne!  Can't let games like that get away from us.  Here is to the hope we will be an extremely tough out in the tourney! Five freethrow missed, or this game was ours

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 03:51:33 PM »
Not much to offer based on earlier posts but proud that the guys battled and put themselves in a position to win.   No moral victories .  Got to beat the CSU and the Oaklands of the Horizon. 

It's obvious that YSU goes as Cohill,Olison and Akuchie.  Those three cannot have an off night and should be expected to lead this team going forward.

Anyone know if Chicone is going to be back ?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 04:00:26 PM »
Not much to offer based on earlier posts but proud that the guys battled and put themselves in a position to win.   No moral victories .  Got to beat the CSU and the Oaklands of the Horizon. 

It's obvious that YSU goes as Cohill,Olison and Akuchie.  Those three cannot have an off night and should be expected to lead this team going forward.

Anyone know if Chicone is going to be back ?

Coach Calhoun acted confident he would be back soon in this week's press conference.  Robb Schmidt stated this week on Ron Potesta's show he thought he was questionable for this weekend. 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 06:47:49 PM »
Watched some of the game on tv, was impressed with the amount and type of seating until I saw the curtains behind the one basket. Ruined the good impressions I had. What were they thinking?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »
Watched some of the game on tv, was impressed with the amount and type of seating until I saw the curtains behind the one basket. Ruined the good impressions I had. What were they thinking?

There are plenty of seats beyond that curtain.  That place holds about 13,000.  The basketball court used to be centered.  Then, many years ago, embarrassed by the fact that CSU has very few fans (even when they win) the school moved the basketball court to one edge and erected that absurd curtain.

Cleveland State is an abysmal athletic university.  No football, no track and field, no baseball, no fans at their women's basketball games, few fans at their men's basketball games. Every time our shortcomings disappoint you, just be grateful that you are not a CSU alumnus who is a sports fan.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 12:30:06 AM »
We definitely have far better facilities for all of our athletes than some of these schools.  Excited about the Beeghley upgrades coming! 

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 07:37:19 AM »
Plus no working videoboard.  The scoreboards hanging down in front of the curtain are the most basic possible.

The Wolstein Center itself is a nice building (I have been there numerous times over the years for various events).  But it is like a barebones operation there attending a CSU game. 

Even with all of Beeghly Center's drawbacks, YSU does a much better job of putting on a basketball game (in my YSU biased opinion).

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 08:17:00 AM »
interesting feedback on their gym, thanks
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne