Author Topic: Dantonio's Make Gift In Support of YSU Football Program  (Read 1670 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Dantonio's Make Gift In Support of YSU Football Program
« on: December 01, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
Long-time successful College Football Head Coach Mark Dantonio, and his wife Becky, have made a gift to support the students and football program at Youngstown State University.

The Dantonio Family has donated $100,000 to the University to assist the enhancement of the Penguins Football program and the state-of-the-art Don Constanini Multimedia Center.
In recognition of their generosity, the annual Graduate Assistant position within the football program will be designated The Mark and Becky Dantonio Graduate Assistant. Additionally, the Home Coaches booth in the Constantini Center will be named The Mark and Becky Dantonio Coaches Booth.

"The impact that Becky and Mark have had on many lives, whether its been student-athletes, coaches, support staff and even their local communities is something that has made a big difference," President Jim Tressel said. "We are very appreciative of their donation and that they see the continued potential of Youngstown State University."

Dantonio was an assistant coach at Youngstown State from 1986-90. He served as the Defensive Coordinator in 1990 for the Penguins and coached the secondary for all five years with Tressel. In 1990, YSU posted the only unbeaten, untied regular-season in school history.

"What this University has done for Becky and myself has been amazing," Dantonio said. "The relationship I was able to establish with Coach Tressel has been life-changing. The opportunity he gave me back in 1986 helped lay the foundation for the tremendous coaching journey I was able to experience. This donation can help with the continued growth of YSU and its successful football program."

Dantonio spent 13 seasons as the Head Football Coach at Michigan State University, retiring from the program in February 2020. He finished his career with a record of 114-57 in East Lansing. During his time at the helm of the Spartans program, Dantonio compiled an impressive list of accomplishments including three Big Ten Championships, two victories in the Big Ten Championship Game, victories in the 2014 Rose Bowl and the 2015 Cotton Bowl, and an appearance in the 2015 College Football Playoff, finishing his career as the winningest football coach in Michigan State history.

Beyond his record for most victories at MSU, Dantonio won more Big Ten Championships (three) and bowl games (six) than any other coach in school history, while also ranking first with 12 bowl appearances. His .639 (69-39) winning percentage in Big Ten games is a school record, while he stands tied for first in AP Top 25 finishes (seven) and second in Big Ten wins (69), home wins (67) and AP Top 25 wins (21). A two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2010, 2013), Dantonio led Michigan State to Top 25 finishes seven times.

A Zanesville, Ohio, native with Midwest ties, Dantonio spent 40 years in collegiate coaching, including 19 seasons as a head coach – 16 at Michigan State and three at Cincinnati (2004-06). In 16 overall seasons, he had a career coaching record of 132-74.

After leaving YSU he served as an assistant at Kansas, Michigan and Ohio State. He was reunited with Tressel at OSU where Dantonio was the Defensive Coordinator from 2001-03. In 2002, the Buckeyes won its first National Championship since 1968.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Dantonio's Make Gift In Support of YSU Football Program
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »
That is great, I am impressed!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne