Author Topic: YSU 79 ST Thomas 75  (Read 3067 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU 79 ST Thomas 75
« on: November 19, 2021, 06:57:31 PM »
St Thomas shot 17 of 34 from the 3 point line.   Garrett Covington left the game in the 1st half withn an injury not sure what his status is.  Akuche had 20. Hunter and Olison were both in in double figures.  Luke Chicone was 4 of 4 and looked good running the offense,

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU 79 ST Thomas 75
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 07:19:57 PM »
This team plays no defense whatsoever, a trait that they share with their football brethren. They were out-hustled, out-played, and out-coached by a team one year removed from DIII status. I assure you that it was more depressing to witness this game in person than to watch it on ESPN+.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 08:00:43 PM »
They missed the defense of Covington who left in the 1st half (injury).
We had difficulty in defending the 3-point shots. They made 15+ 3 pointers. We were lucky for not losing this one.
Chicone played well at point, he had 4 nice mid-range jump shots.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 08:33:24 PM »
I will take an ugly win over a loss any day.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 10:00:07 PM »
I know a lot of you guys are not happy that ST Thomas gave us a close game but they have played all 4 of their games on the road and all have been close.

They beat St Francis of Brooklyn by 18 and lost to both Fordham and Chicago State by less than 6.  I watched them play Fordham and they were in it the whole game.   

Great shooting team and yes they did beat us out on a lot of the 50- 50 balls.  I'm sure coach will be on them for that.

First action of the year for Daniel Ogoro and he hit 2 out 3 from behind the 3 pt line.   No jamir Thomas tonight.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:00:46 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 11:35:10 PM »
It's crazy if you said YSU shot 55% from the field including 42% from 3, had 3 less turnovers and only gave up 6 points from the FT line and they'd only win by 4.  In Coach Calhoun's pre-game interview he said they'll shoot 35-40 3's a game and they ended up shooting 34 and making 17. 

The biggest disappointment for me was them out-hustling and out-rebounded a bigger and more athletic YSU team, and following up what was probably the best half of basketball in Coach Calhoun's era at YSU.  In addition it just seemed like the ball bounced their way.  And even when St Thomas did miss 3's they got the long rebounds and 2nd and 3rd chances.

It was good to see Agoro back in action and I thought Chicone played well making all 4 of his shots and brining energy.  Looks like Will Dunn bulked up some since last year.  I'm guessing Jamir Thomas didn't play because St Thomas doesn't look to score inside.  Hoping Garrett Covington's injury isn't too bad. 

There was no interview with Coach following the game on the radio and I haven't seen a post-game press conference posted yet. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »
Not good news on Garrett.