Author Topic: ISU  (Read 19301 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ISU
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 03:54:22 PM »
Where’s McLaughlin? Are we resting him for the 5th quarter?!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 03:56:52 PM »
Yep! thoroughly out coached!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
I think Phillips has given up

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
We should cancel the rest of the season like we did last year

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »
The MUCH better team won.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »

He got injured. Both he and Crenshaw are injured

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 04:10:06 PM »

He got injured. Both he and Crenshaw are injured

Thanks I didn't see him get hurt

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2021, 04:32:14 PM »
Defense needs to step up today.  Defense was a pleasant surprise in the spring but has been a disappointment this fall especially pa$$ defense.  One of the worst in the FCS.  Can't continue to give up 40 points a game.  Average QBs leave games with us with highlight films.

This pre-game post turned out to be prophecy!  We are indeed among the worst defenses in FCS.  We allowed the worst offensive team in the league, led by the worst quarterback in the league, do whatever they wanted to us.

Even with the terrible defense and the injuries, we would have won this game if not for that boneheaded play call on 4th and inches.  If you are going to let a defensive tackle carry the ball, fine....give him a chance.  Place the quarterback under center with the tackle right behind him. Send the tailback in motion to remove a linebacker from the middle.  Then ram it straight down their throat.  Did our coaches seriously believe that ISU would not get penetration against our o-line when the tackle receives the ball five years behind the line of scrimmage.  Ridiculous.

Think about it. The bungled fourth down try against a bad Western Illinois defense.  The bungled play design against this bad defense.  With better coaching, we might actually be 4-2 (3-1) instead of heading toward oblivion.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
Defense needs to step up today.  Defense was a pleasant surprise in the spring but has been a disappointment this fall especially pa$$ defense.  One of the worst in the FCS.  Can't continue to give up 40 points a game.  Average QBs leave games with us with highlight films.

This pre-game post turned out to be prophecy!  We are indeed among the worst defenses in FCS.  We allowed the worst offensive team in the league, led by the worst quarterback in the league, do whatever they wanted to us.

Even with the terrible defense and the injuries, we would have won this game if not for that boneheaded play call on 4th and inches.  If you are going to let a defensive tackle carry the ball, fine....give him a chance.  Place the quarterback under center with the tackle right behind him. Send the tailback in motion to remove a linebacker from the middle.  Then ram it straight down their throat.  Did our coaches seriously believe that ISU would not get penetration against our o-line when the tackle receives the ball five years behind the line of scrimmage.  Ridiculous.

Think about it. The bungled fourth down try against a bad Western Illinois defense.  The bungled play design against this bad defense.  With better coaching, we might actually be 4-2 (3-1) instead of heading toward oblivion.

Very good point on the 4th down calls. Like I said before I like giving it to a 300 pounder, but don’t put him in a situation where he’s in the open field… we tried to way to cute on that play

But besides the defense it’s turnovers… gotta take care of the ball

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2021, 06:14:28 PM »
I am still at a loss on how Craycraft is ahead of Wade on the depth chart.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2021, 07:11:31 PM »
IM AT A LOSS HOW THIS WILL EVER GET FIXED.   WE WONT WIN AGAIN THIS YEAR.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »

I couldn’t find him on the roster in this weeks game notes, which isn’t surprising after he entered the transfer portal. They moved him to tight end over the summer anyway if I remember correctly.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »

I admit I have no idea how this all works, but if Wade wants to leave why would he still be on the team let alone play. Give the reps to someone that wants to be here.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »
We aren’t going to be good or relevant for years.  It will not be fixed unless we get more money?  Playing in the toughest league means nothing when you have only won it what once or twice in almost 30 years. Look at the stands no interest.  Even the diehards have dwindled down to almost extinction.  You all think we will strike lightening in a bottle again.  The 90,s run was once in a lifetime and college football has changed completely with more teams more media etc etc.  The state of Ytown has shrunk immensely.  Look at how Wolford focused his recruiting. He got it, just didn’t get the money needed to continue the rebuild .  Again we want to run a top flight program on a Dollarr General budget.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »
I will provide my observations.

1. When we lost Crenshaw the game was essentially over.  Indiana State stacked the box and dared us to throw.  Craycraft was inconsistent and that should be expected.  He also did not win the starting position.  He was third behind Waide.

2. The line play is the root of the issue.  They need time for development.

3.  The team is relatively young which equates to being highly inconsistent.  Most programs don't have to deal with the amount of youth all at one time. 

4. They are focused at recruiting linemen in alignment that we need to win in this league. 

5.  The money is important, but at the end of the day money is not the only thing needed to get good recruits.  North Dakota State doesn't even have their own stadium they rent it.  What matters more is relationships and trust in coaching.  If you look at the players Phillips has recruited, they've been closer to what you want versus any of Pelini recruits.  Remember his hands are tied to some degree on the rate of change.  But I think Phillips is patient. I happen to think that Phillips is very similar and an older version of PJ Fleck.  Fleck is far more nuanced, but they have similar attributes.  Interestingly both coached with Tressel.  I believe PJ has one of the Tressels' working for him.  Look at how long it's taken PJ fleck to make Minnesota respectable. Minnesota would have been one of the top teams in the west had they not lost their running back. They don't have the depth yet, but their starters can play with anyone.  And their offensive line is one of the best in the Big ten.

When we lost Crenshaw to that lower body injury we just don't have the depth and consistency to be able to beat teams.  It's just going to take time.  The only way to speed it up is transfers.  However, with the number of local recruits Pellini put on the team, if they let these kids go it will have a negative effect on YSU as a whole in terms of perception in the community.  They could quickly lose even more support permanently.  Right now there's a bunch of fair weather fans that will turn out if they start winning again.  Many of the diehards from the 90s are in retirement homes or dead.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:42:12 AM by penguinpower »