Author Topic: Softball - this is positive  (Read 3371 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Softball - this is positive
« on: July 08, 2021, 11:27:00 AM »
Megan Turner, a former Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year, USA Today High School All-American, Flo-Softball High School All-American, and MaxPreps Small School All-American, has signed a grant-in-aid to join the Youngstown State softball program for the 2022 season, Head Coach Brian Campbell announced.

"We are extremely excited to add a player of Megan Turner's caliber to our program," Campbell said. "She brings a wealth of experience to our team and has been a part of a championship-winning high school program from our area."

A transfer from Kent State, Turner will have two more years of eligibility with the Penguins.

In 2021, Turner was named All-Mid-American Conference (MAC) Second-Team after batting .336 with team bests eight home runs and 41 runs batted in. She also scored 17 runs with six doubles and posted a .565 slugging percentage and a .404 on-base percentage.

As a freshman in 2019, Turner was named to the MAC All-Freshman team after batting .300 with a double, six home runs and 14 RBIs. She ranked second in the MAC in conference-only games batting average by a freshman (.351) and was third in slugging percentage (.541).

A native of Champion, Ohio, Turner was named All-Ohio First Team, All-Region First-Team, All-District First-Team, All-American Conference Player of the Year, All-American Conference First-Team, NFCA Northeast All-Region First-Team, and Vindicator Softball Player of the Year as a senior. That year, she hit .612 with 54 runs scored, 49 hits, 54 RBIs, seven doubles, three triples and 12 home runs.

Turner was selected as an NFCA High School All-American Scholar Athlete, NFCA First-Place All-American Team member, Wendy's High School Heisman School Award Winner, All-American Conference Student of the Week.

She ended her prep career Ranked sixth in state history in career runs scored (188) and career home runs (38), 14th in career RBIs (167) and 21st in career hits (197).
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Softball - this is positive
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 01:39:58 PM »
We only lose one impact player from the squad that claimed the regular season title. Turner should fill that void easily at second base and probably the three hole in the lineup. The future continues to look bright.

Softball has benefited from the new facility. Men's and women's track, of course, continues their domination. The ugly step sister remains soccer, the perennial league doormat that gained nothing from the construction of the new field.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 02:23:59 PM »
Champion HS is perennial powerhouse in girls’ softball. They have won numerous state championship in the last few years.
If we can get some of these ladies to join us, it will unquestionably improve our program. I am tired of seeing many of these ladies have always gone to Kent or Akron in the past.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 03:46:29 PM »
In general I dislike the idea of transfers in general. It is bad for college sports in my opinion. Addy Jarvis left us a few years ago for Illinois and Illinois got another top transfer from Dayton this year. But nice to get a high quality player for us which this young lady sure is. Any word on why she left Kent State? She had playing time, quality facilities, etc so why leave?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 11:14:53 PM »
Any word on why she left Kent State? She had playing time, quality facilities, etc so why leave?

I poked around a bit on the Kent site. They were around .500 this past season, although they had a winning record in the MAC.  Also, her brother is on the Kent baseball team which makes this even stranger.

On the other hand, their facility is poor compared to ours (most mid-major softball stadiums are inferior to what we now have.) And it is located next to their football stadium, outside walking distance from the main campus. Players would have to drive their cars to practice or take the campus bus.

We have a freshman pitcher from Champion who saw some work this season.  She will be the #2 starter next season.  Perhaps that connection helped Turner decide to come here.  Whatever the reason, very glad to have her.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 05:27:17 AM »
Article from Tribune/Vindy on her transfer to YSU:

No Flash in the pan

YSU lands former Champion standout Turner
LOCAL SPORTS
JUL 9, 2021

ROBERT HAYES
Correspondent
sports@tribtoday.com

Megan Turner, a Champion High School product, recently transferred to Youngstown State, with two years of eligibility remaining. The former Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year and three time state champion batted .336 with 41 RBI in 2021 for Kent State.

After tactfully completing 40 credit hours of college courses as a senior at Champion High School, Megan Turner entered college with a head start — one that allowed her to graduate from Kent State in just three years.

With a degree in accounting and finance, along with a minor in insurance, Turner looked toward the horizon with two years of NCAA eligibility remaining.

The end result was a move back to the Mahoning Valley. The former Ohio Gatorade Player of the Year and three-time state champion has decided to transfer to Youngstown State to pursue her masters degree and her collegiate softball career.

“It’s very exciting and it’s close to home,” Turner said. “I’m really glad that I can play in front of my family and friends. I have a lot of friends in Youngstown, and people that I know already. I’m excited to finish out my career with them and being near my hometown.

“Representing my home-town is something that I can do at Youngstown State. It’s a different feeling that not a lot of people get to experience, so I’m really happy to have the opportunity.”

Averaging .336 at the plate last season for the collegiate Golden Flashes, the first baseman also led Kent State with a team-high 41 RBIs, along with eight home runs. She was named second-team All-Mid-American Conference.

Turner received All-Freshman honors in the MAC in 2019 before the COVID-19 pandemic limited Kent State to only 19 contests in 2020.

After taking the Horizon League regular-season crown and posting a 36-15 record, YSU adds an infielder who can be inserted straight into the lineup, with NCAA transfer rules eliminating the need for athletes to sit out a season.

“We haven’t brought too many transfers in through my years here, but it (the new rules) does change some of the concept a little bit,” Penguins coach Brian Campbell said. “I felt like Megan was a good fit for us, and that’s the reason why we spoke with her.”

Campbell and his coaching staff think adding a veteran of the Mid-American Conference is a major plus.

“When you look at the schedules, having that experience as a player and being in some of those games, it’s really nice to be able to take a look and have her contribute,” Campbell explained. “I think that the numbers she put up there are really good for the competition she played.”

Taking home a trio of Division III state championship trophies as a member of the Champion softball program, Turner will reunite with pitcher Sophie Howell at YSU.

During her high school senior campaign, Turner batted .618 and was named a USA Today High School All-American. She also holds Champion’s career record for home runs, RBIs, and batting average.

Megan’s older brother Michael, helped Champion claim their first state title in program history back in 2017, while moving on to play baseball at Kent State. He recently transferred to Arkansas.

Along with the Champion duo, other local products on Youngstown State’s roster include Conchetta Rinaldi (Cardinal Mooney), Kayla Rutherford (Cardinal Mooney) and Bree Kohler (South Range).

Ultimately, it’s about softball coming full circle.

“I think it’s going to be really neat,” Turner said. “I played against these girls my whole life, and now we’re going to be teammates. That’s going to be cool experience. I think it’s going to be really fun, and I’m really excited get play in front of my community and home town with all the girls I played against growing up.”

There’s a saying around the Champion community, “Once a Flash, Always a Flash,” but for the first time in many years, Turner will have a new name across her jersey, while donning the red and white of Youngstown State.

Regardless what the color scheme is, or what logo adorns her batting helmet, it’s about representing her high school alma mater with pride.

“Coming from Champion, we had high expectations,” Turner said. “I mean we won three state championships and not a lot of people get to experience that. Being able to play with Howell again, and representing Champion is something I’m so excited to do.

“I literally love the memories I have from there. I’ll never forget that, and playing for Coach (Cheryl) Weaver was one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had. I’ve already had people from Champion say ‘we’re so excited to come watch you and Sophie play together.’ Just being able to do that is so awesome.”

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 11:49:34 AM »
I saw that her brother transferred from Kent to Arkansas in baseball.   Also see that she graduated in 3 years from Kent so she is a grad transfer. Seems like a strong addition. We need a second baseman, not a first baseman which she played at Kent I think. Our first baseman was a freshman who played well. Maybe one of them can play a quality second base. Softball in college is a fast game with the short base length so the infielders need to be good to get outs.