Author Topic: Season over  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Season over
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
Really don't understand cancelling this last game.  Give those that don't play a chance to show they can or can not play at this level.  The real reason may be $ and not decided by DP.  Who knows. I would sure like to see the QBs that never played and others.  Yes it may be a big loss, but the season is over anyway. May never find our the real reason. DP last week keep talking negatively about the teams that quit the season and this week he joins them!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 11:39:49 AM »
Really don't understand cancelling this last game.  Give those that don't play a chance to show they can or can not play at this level.  The real reason may be $ and not decided by DP.  Who knows. I would sure like to see the QBs that never played and others.  Yes it may be a big loss, but the season is over anyway. May never find our the real reason. DP last week keep talking negatively about the teams that quit the season and this week he joins them!

Having been part of the YSU faculty rank for a long time, it would not surprise me that the decision was made way above DP’s pay grade.
DP might just step up and own it. Just saying.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 12:45:04 PM »
I doubt that this decision was driven by finances.  If money were the issue, we would have canceled the season before the expensive road trips to Western Illinois and Missouri State.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
I doubt that this decision was driven by finances.  If money were the issue, we would have canceled the season before the expensive road trips to Western Illinois and Missouri State.
And you don't think ND cancelled because they didn't want to come to OH? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 09:16:13 AM »
  This was 100% a DP call.  Strollo actually wanted to play the game and Tressel let DP make the call.  Phillips knew without McLaughlin, Waid, and Lenton all injured, this would likely be a rout.  Also several players last week went into the portal, including cornerback Dee Ford.

Move was weak, especially when DP said that he would only do this if he lost a starting unit to Covid.  Finances not an issue at all with a home game.  Had this been a scheduled road game, then maybe a factor.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:16:52 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 10:08:39 AM »
  This was 100% a DP call.  Strollo actually wanted to play the game and Tressel let DP make the call.  Phillips knew without McLaughlin, Waid, and Lenton all injured, this would likely be a rout.  Also several players last week went into the portal, including cornerback Dee Ford.

Move was weak, especially when DP said that he would only do this if he lost a starting unit to Covid.  Finances not an issue at all with a home game.  Had this been a scheduled road game, then maybe a factor.
First, you know who tells me it was definitely not about the money?  EVERYBODY!  Doesn't matter who or want the decision it was NEVER ABOUT THE MONEY!  (it's always the money)
Second, as I read this blog for years, I'm told over and over the decision maker is Strollo.  For the first time, somebody admits that Tressel made the important decision, not Strollo.  I've know for years this has always been true, nice to have confirmation.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 05:44:08 AM »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
Guys, you can only applaud the decision. I can understand why it was canceled and I can also understand why we should have "finished what we started".  We should have never played a snap to begin with. I have not considered this a real season from the start. The most frustrating thing? Here we (FCS/I-AA) are the only DI football in town and the division still cannot get any real TV coverage. Make sure to get your vaccinations. I am hearing schools have had to submit plans to factor in masks and testing into next season.

As to the "decision maker" Tressel is just as much "in hiding" from the NCAA as any former coach. This risk to the university has just been too great for him to even be suspected of athletic involvment. Just because he is the President does not mean the NCAA does not have him under a scope. Until quite recently, he stayed well away from athletics. Now that his sanctions are over he can be as involved as any other university president. Which can be quite a bit. Involvement as the president can be far more impactful. Facilities, athletically favorable curriculum and such are so important.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:03:34 PM by IAA Fan »