Author Topic: WIU Game  (Read 16712 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: WIU Game
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 11:22:06 PM »
Well this game was exactly what everybody in the conference was talking about. Battle between the two worst teams in the conference. Unfortunately we came out on the bottom

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 11:23:28 PM »
No quarterback, no offensive line, no offensive coordinator.  Thank goodness this is not the fall.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 11:24:02 PM »
Yikes. Lots to cleanup and work on.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 11:25:44 PM »
Ugly

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 11:26:47 PM »
Losing to the doormat of the conference. Not great...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 11:46:07 PM »
I'm quite sure this night was historic.  Giving up touchdowns on both a punt return and a kickoff return in the same freakin' game. That was not even the most disturbing thing.  A bad football team run blitzed on nearly every down in the second half and we had no answer. Not a thing in our playbook to counter that. Shameful.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »
should have run quick slants instead of out patterns.  and run that big tight end in the middle of the field because their linebackers were on the line of scrimmage. didn't have much time to throw.  their offensive line was not big so they must have been strong and fast.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 08:56:31 AM »
This is  very sloppy game, we need to take control, long drive with points
First time this season YSU has been out hustled out coached. DP has some work to do. Hard to believe a 1-4 team was overconfident but that’s just what they look like.

I agree, we were out coached in the 2nd half
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »
The team is young and inconsistent. 
Theme of the game was special teams.  We had so many problems with special teams it kept WIU in the game.

What I will say is that they were at home, at night and they probably felt they should have won against Northern Iowa. 

The real issue I see is that the wide receiver routes are just awful and have not improved.  It's the only area that really hasn't improved.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:05:35 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »
Western Illinois's football field looks like a high school field.  their announcers sounded like they were in high school.  and we lost.  not a good night
the 90's were sure a long time ago
number 8 for YSU reminds me of Shawn Patton
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:35:20 PM by YSU1 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
I assumed ESPN would have some type of minimum professional broadcasting standard. Clearly, I was wrong. The color commentator was just awful. There simply wasn’t any way to sugar coat that one.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2021, 05:17:02 PM »
Agree with most of the posts.  The announcers were sure lacking and high school might be too high for them.

Our O line was really exposed, but we didn't have anything to counter their run blitzing on every run down. I could predict run or pass so I am sure Western did also and looked like they were in our huddle.  Our pass blocking was not good so Wade didn't have any time and our receivers were covered. Most throws were short and Western knew it.  Not sure if Wade is enough of a passer to get us out of this run blitzing they did.  I hope it is just poor play calls and a need of an O line improvement and receivers also so they are open. Hard to believe our coaches couldn't come up with something to counter their all out run blitzing.

And 2 special team touchdowns really were the difference with all the other weaknesses we had.  Western should have had 2 more TDs and a field goal or 2 more and it was still close.  Our 2nd half offence was terrible.  They knew our tendencies and brought the house to those tendencies. And they were right most of the time. Other games the other team didn't believe in a total gamble and we were able to survive.  Not last night.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2021, 06:32:00 PM »
High school announcers, inferior facilities, poor recruiting area and a victory over the once proud YSU Penguins

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 07:27:15 PM »
High school announcers, inferior facilities, poor recruiting area and a victory over the once proud YSU Penguins
All that may be true but I predict that their freshman qb will never beat us again.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 09:00:35 AM »
 I am rooting for Mark Waid, local QB, want him to be the guy.  I have doubts, there must have been a reason why YSU and Lehigh at our level were the only schools recruiting him.  In the pocket he struggles, the two 4th quarter interceptions were bad.  Locked in on one receiver.  I realize he is just a redshirt freshman, I think he deserves to start next year and be given every change.   Waid appears to be much more comfortable throwing on the move. 

But without a great or at least a very good QB it is going to be very hard to be a playoff contender. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:01:43 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »