Author Topic: YSU Oakland MBB Horizon Tourney  (Read 8940 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Oakland MBB Horizon Tourney
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
The last play in regulation had to be the worst I have seen in a long time.  Too long killing the clock and then not getting any kind of a shot.  Unbelievable. Also letting Michael A guarding Moore the last few possessions and getting beat time after time. Not sure why Mays was out of the lineup at the end, but he had trouble guarding taller players. We in general had a difficult time on defense.  It seemed Oakland was bigger and could get in close over and over and we had to really work to get inside.  And the charge vs blocking calls sure went against us on both ends of the court. The announcers were sure not trying to be unbiased for Oakland.  I think Rob Schmidt does a good job not being a homer compared to those guys. And our new players sure didn't contribute much except for Mays. Who knows what we will look like next year, but the new players need to grow significantly for us to improve even if Naz, Garret, and DQ return. Big questions.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 05:19:49 PM »
Losing Jamir really hurt more than anybody expected. Hopefully he can come back next year and be a presence inside.

Recruiting hasn't been the issue.

If DQ, Naz, GC, Mike and Jamir come back with the freshman getting better and the class coming in, there is no excuse to be top 3 in the league and expecting a conference championship.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 06:13:03 PM »
Losing Jamir really hurt more than anybody expected. Hopefully he can come back next year and be a presence inside.

Recruiting hasn't been the issue.

If DQ, Naz, GC, Mike and Jamir come back with the freshman getting better and the cla$$ coming in, there is no excuse to be top 3 in the league and expecting a conference championship.

I am not sure about that. Seniors from other teams might also return to their respective school for another year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 08:09:44 PM »
Certainly going to be an interesting dynamic.  Purely speculation, but I feel like Naz could be the guy to hold the group together.  I figured this was going to be DQ's last year at YSU, but between his injury, the way his year went, the seniors getting an extra year could see him coming back although maybe if none of the seniors return he won't?  Kelley and Thomas are wild cards.  Can't imagine Bentley returning.  I really thought he would have gotten more PT this year especially when DQ was out.   

If a lot of those guys do return, what happens to the freshman class?  Obviously would mean less PT for those guys and sets their development back.  Do some of them then transfer without having to sit out? 

If none of the seniors & DQ return, and everyone else mostly does you could be looking at Hunter, Mayes, Ogoro, Vargo & possibily Traore starting with maybe Hamperian & Dunn off the bench & whoever else that YSU recruits or transfers.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
  I like Calhoun, but something went wrong.  When DQ left the bubble and went home that was not good.  He certainly never returned to the player he was last year or the expectations we had hoped for.  I know this is a crazy year with COVID, but....

Wright State may have been second seed, but they were the best team in the conference, so we had a shot when they lost to win this tournament!  Actually Cleveland State very fortunate to still be alive.

We took a step back this year.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:48:11 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 11:53:07 AM »
when is YSU going to take a step forward 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
YSU1990,I agree with you and I'm wondering if DQ even comes back. There's a lot of variables of who or who isn't coming back and I hope i'm totally wrong but I have a gut feeling that DQ may be in the  transfer portal.

The season did not go as expected and the injuries were crushing. This was the year with the senior class and DQ and if none come back next year then the team will be very young and most likely will not be contending.       I'm excited about the frosh coming in but the team still lacks  interior strength.   Right now we're very guard oriented which is not bad but you need some one as a rim protector and post up scoring.

Love Geoff Hamperian but I don't want to see him at 6- 4 guarding other teams post players.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 08:41:55 PM »
I agree with ufcpeng that I don’t see DQ coming back next year.

I think Covington and Naz could possibly come back for another year because both of them have made great improvements from last year to this year. They might even be able to do better next year. That is not the case with DQ. I am not sure if he could totally recover from his injury to play at the high level next year.

In order to be win, we need a big strong guy (who can score around the basket + making FT) in the middle and the rest of the guys can make pull up mid-range jump shots so they don’t always have to either run the defenders over or have the ball stolen on the way to the basket.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 11:28:52 PM »
DQ had better be very careful and seek sound advice. He needs to perform at a very high level next season if he hopes to pursue a professional career in Europe. If he transfers to a stronger DI program, he needs an absolute guarantee that he will start. If an unscrupulous coach lies and grabs him as depth for his bench, DQ will see any hope for some type of professional career evaporate into thin air. Like many of you I am convinced that he wants to leave, but staying might actually be his best option after this disastrous year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 07:43:22 PM »
DQ had better be very careful and seek sound advice. He needs to perform at a very high level next season if he hopes to pursue a professional career in Europe. If he transfers to a stronger DI program, he needs an absolute guarantee that he will start. If an unscrupulous coach lies and grabs him as depth for his bench, DQ will see any hope for some type of professional career evaporate into thin air. Like many of you I am convinced that he wants to leave, but staying might actually be his best option after this disastrous year.

Agree 100% with this. 

DQ's best attribute was driving to the basket & was told by the NBA he needed to improve on his shooting.  The ankle injury seemed to cost him that step he had on everyone and his shooting % went the wrong way in a pretty big way. 

Only way I thought he'd stay is if Naz for sure came back and maybe Covington.  I just feel like Naz is the guy that's going to have to rally the others if they want to make another run next year.  Just hard for me to envision him returning without any of the other seniors.