Author Topic: UNI Gameday Thread  (Read 24032 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UNI Gameday Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 02:00:09 PM »
The AD has no clue when to hire or fire or who to hire and fire.  The job is obviously a tough sell.  We ended up with a man who has studied Jim Tressel phrases (young men) to prepare for media interviews and wants to dress like him too.  He is an imposter.  At some point the LIP service wont work.   

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
we need to recruit better.  hopefully the new coach can do this

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2021, 03:13:49 PM »
The AD has no clue when to hire or fire or who to hire and fire.  The job is obviously a tough sell.  We ended up with a man who has studied Jim Tressel phrases (young men) to prepare for media interviews and wants to dress like him too.  He is an imposter.  At some point the LIP service wont work.   

Good lord give the guy more than two games lol

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2021, 03:36:41 PM »
Sorry but the guy brings ZERO excitement.  Two postgame press conferences is enough for me.  WOW!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »
Sorry but the guy brings ZERO excitement.  Two postgame press conferences is enough for me.  WOW!

You are complaining of lip service but want more excitement? I’m very confused as to what you want from DP. I just want him to turn the program around, and I understand it’s going to take a while. I don’t care all that much if he’s “exciting” in press conferences. Frequently the most low-key coaches are the most effective.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:18:47 PM by Kandrase »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2021, 04:44:56 PM »
Politics has nothing to do that our football program has sunk to nothing.  When Tressel took the Buckeyes job the powers to be have made one bad decision after another.  Heacock, Wolford, Pelini,  We are in a conference that don’t give a sh** about us and geographically don’t fit and it’s destroyed us.  The BS that our conference is the SEC means nothing to the casual fan.  They want to see W’’s and a chance to make the playoffs. They don’t care how tough the conference is. The economics have changed where OtherFCS programs pay more for their a$$istants than our HC.  Wake the hell up here.  We need to get out of the MVC find a conference that fits us geographically for fans and recruiting.  Or drop down to D2.  We ARE not going to get lucky again like the 90’s.  Look in the mirror here! Go Penguins

I can agree with most of the post but not dropping to D2.

I would like to see the numbers, where did you see how much we pay, who is paying more and how much more?

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2021, 04:45:41 PM »
Lets be real.  Phillips is here cause he came cheap and spoke the best "coach talk".  Oh and he knew someone with money locally.  There was little excitement when he was hired and even less 14 months later. I don't know the guy and have nothing against him but he has zero experience turning a football program around.   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:17:53 PM by goodnews »

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2021, 05:06:09 PM »
Pelini imploded the program.     Oline is very green and not ready which gives the running game no holes and the passing very little time.   It starts up front and coach Phillip needs JC transfers or some guys from the transfer portal.  It going to take time and it won't be pleasant for a few seasons.

In two games I haven't seen much of a pass rush.  Back 7 has held up despite the lack of push up front.

I like the new rb from the d2 school .  The guy needs more touches in some creative ways.  Looks like he can house it if he has a crease.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2021, 07:39:07 PM »
Lets be real.  Phillips is here cause he came cheap and spoke the best "coach talk".  Oh and he knew someone with money locally.  There was little excitement when he was hired and even less 14 months later. I don't know the guy and have nothing against him but he has zero experience turning a football program around.

He absolutely has experience turning programs around.

He worked for Matt Campbell who just took Iowa State to their first ever big 12 championship and for Luke Fickell who took Cincinnati to their first NY6 game in over a decade.
Heck he even started his coaching career under Tressel in the early 90s. He’s been with at least 3 programs that were in the process of major cultural shifts.

Nobody else interested in the job had anything close to that type of experience.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:39:46 PM by Kandrase »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2021, 07:46:35 PM »
DP is a new hire and like all new hires his success of failure is in question.  JT came here without head coaching experience and was a home run after a few lean years.  BP came here with much success as a head coach and it didn't work out. Give Doug Phillips his chance to get the program going.  What he is instilling in the players is very good.  Can he recruit and develop players? Who knows. That will be the test of whether he is a success or not. And bringing in transfers will help in the short term but hurt in the long term. Let him do what he thinks is best and let the results speak for themselves. All this negative attitude only hurts YSU's chances to attract the players we need for success. Think about it.  It reminds me of the old Vindicator that could only downgrade the city of Youngstown and YSU.  It does no good.

Offline Guin83

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2021, 09:08:12 PM »
So far YSU has played the FBS equivalent of playing Alabama and Notre Dame...Losing 25-7 and 21-0.  This week we play Clemson.  While not optimal, we haven’t been blown out.  Pelini was a huge disappointment and left the program in shambles.  Give Phillips a couple years to get it going in the right direction.  It’s going to take at least two recruiting classes and recruiting appears to be what he does well.   
guin83

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2021, 09:10:37 PM »
I hope you are right about Phillips.  However, his time at the programs u mention are short stints as RB coaches and a few other entry level jobs. He has zero coordinator experience.  One year as a recruiting coordinator thats it.  Peterson was recruiting coordinator at OSU and you see how well he has contributed to the O-LINE which he coaches.  The entire staff is a reach at best.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2021, 12:12:12 AM »
Does anyone remember that one year ago as Pelini left and Phillips was hired, our roster contained five or six offensive linemen. Phillips was in an impossible situation as clearly the o-line is the hardest element of a football team to develop properly.  What we are seeing is very tough to watch but not really unexpected.

Tressel became university president in the spring of 2014.  By the end of the fall, Wolford was gone. Tressel probably wanted to bring his own guy on board then, but the Pelini situation interfered. How could we turn down a local guy who won at least 9 games every year in the Big Ten? Nobody at that time, including Tressel, could have predicted how thoroughly Pelini would screw up this program.

Now Tressel finally has his own man in place. And make no mistake, Phillips is here only because Tressel wanted him. I trust his judgment on football matters.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
Give me a break!  Bo leaves us without much at all and 2 games into what is aptly called the "silly season" you want to cut and run!?!?!? WTF do you think you'd get next?  This guy needs at LEAST a couple regular seasons to begin to judge.  That would be 2021-22 and 2022-23 so don't talk to me until at least the spring of 2023  Get Vince Lombardi to coach me and 4 of my buddies as an OL we'd still lose every game. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2021, 11:17:47 AM »
I am not football savvy enough to know if it is a case where the talent is not there or they just need more playing time together. At this point you could make a case for each.

Having all those newbies on the O-line at the same time has to be a major challenge  for the players and the coaches.

Pick the best player for each position and let them get game time together. Treat the spring season as an extended spring game and get ready for the fall.

It’s serious lack of talent on the OL
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!