Author Topic: UNI Gameday Thread  (Read 24037 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UNI Gameday Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »
Why are we punting like that, kicking on the run?

Australian style punt. Rugby / Australian rules football kicks like that and that’s what our punter played

Thanks for the answer but it is not working.

The ARF punters are actually also runners/passers/receivers. The advantage of using an ARF punter is that they can take off and run for the first down.

In ARF, the punter has to run away from the defenders (out of necessity) in order to kick the ball because the is less set protection scheme than the American football.

In American football, there is a well designed protection scheme. Since it is much easier to punt the football standing still than running, hence we don’t see too many ARF punters in American football.

Why are we doing it. Who knows.

Well, it is not working for us because we don’t have the right guy.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2021, 03:23:27 PM »
Craycraft does nothing for this team. He needs to sit and Waid needs to be the guy from here on out.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2021, 04:22:29 PM »
WOW, 64 yards passing! It sounds like we have bigger concerns then Crenshaw's foot work. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2021, 04:59:27 PM »
NDSU got beat 38-14 by SIU... yikes. Next week is gonna be rough. You guys were right about this not being a typical NDSU team.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2021, 05:27:01 PM »
Why are we punting like that, kicking on the run?

Australian style punt. Rugby / Australian rules football kicks like that and that’s what our punter played

Thanks for the answer but it is not working.

The ARF punters are actually also runners/pa$$ers/receivers. The advantage of using an ARF punter is that they can take off and run for the first down.

In ARF, the punter has to run away from the defenders (out of necessity) in order to kick the ball because the is less set protection scheme than the American football.

In American football, there is a well designed protection scheme. Since it is much easier to punt the football standing still than running, hence we don’t see too many ARF punters in American football.

Why are we doing it. Who knows.

Well, it is not working for us because we don’t have the right guy.

Thanks to you guys for explaining it to me, I can see where there is an option to run but that would be rare. My main concern is helping field position. Distance and hang time!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:53:05 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »
Looked like a high school offense out there

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2021, 05:58:34 PM »
This is by far the worst offensive line in our DI history. They are incapable of opening holes for our backs and pass block so poorly that our quarterbacks have no chance to throw downfield. Unfortunately, that line is the one component of a football team for which there is no quick fix. It will take at least three years of recruiting and development. This is Bo's legacy after his five year tenure.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2021, 06:38:01 PM »

Thanks to you guys for explaining it to me, I can see where there is an option to run but that would be rare. My main concern is helping field position. Distance and hang time!
[/quote]

There are a few ARF P/K guys in the nfl also.
Some of these guys were fast and strong and they have run down and tackled punt returners. Many of ARF guys started out playing rugby (tackling without pads). With pads, they are not easily intimidated by punt returners.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM »
Don't forget, our single returning offensive lineman was out this game too. I don't know that it improves it all that much but I think our offensive line wasn't the big issue this game. Our wide receivers also didn't get open much, but I don't know if I can really make much of a sense of it from the few passes we threw.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2021, 07:34:45 PM »
Playing two qb's is not working. As I said last week, we need Waid due to his running ability and size with such a poor offensive line. And at rb we need the new guy compared to our two from last year.  And they need to play to get more comfortable. It reminds me of when Haycock was the coach and we played OSU. He played everyone and we lost big. It was almost like a scrimmage where we weren't trying our best to keep the score as good as it could be. Looked similar today. And our punter really didn't help.  It seems he got a pass until his 2nd or 3rd shank and we got back to the guy from last year who did well.  There is no doubt that we need more good players and that will take time, but playing everyone doesn't give us our best chance in these games. Maybe we are playing this as spring practice.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2021, 09:18:07 PM »
I am not football savvy enough to know if it is a case where the talent is not there or they just need more playing time together. At this point you could make a case for each.

Having all those newbies on the O-line at the same time has to be a major challenge  for the players and the coaches.

Pick the best player for each position and let them get game time together. Treat the spring season as an extended spring game and get ready for the fall.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2021, 10:58:06 PM »
Can someone explain to me how/why Peterson and his puppet son are still on the coaching staff?  What has he done to improve the O-Line since his arrival?  It takes YEARS to create continuity and thats a$$uming you have recruited players that can play at this level.  This program is 4 or 5 years from competing and thats a$$uming the recruiting vastly improves.  If this staff can't develop talent forget it. Not to mention the majority of the coaching staff hasn never coached at this level.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 11:00:21 PM by goodnews »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2021, 06:02:08 AM »
1. Pelini left the cupboard bare.  He was a terrible coach that disliked recruiting worse than Heacock.  It's going to take time.  I like what I see.
2.  The offense is terrible because of the line and lack of WR at the moment but mainly the line.. DP has said that his team will be built upon the OL and DL using 3 sport athletes and such on multiple occasions.
3.  DP has something like 22 redshirt freshman on the defense.  Because the offense isn't getting it done, the defense is getting great experience because they are on the field for twice the number of snaps as they should be.  I believe that the defense is already at a playoff levelnand still has upside.  If they played half the snaps I think you would see half the scores.  That would mean if we had an even remotely competent offense our Defense would be giving up 11.5 points per game on average with half the snapss and this doesn't account for the terrible field position caused by the offense and special teams.
4.  If you want to win games right now, I think you have to use Waid because his legs give you the best chance with the OL situation.  However, that comes with ruining your QB (as we've seen with every running QB.  So I say build it for the long term and get experience using this bullsh** season that will have an asterisk next to it for eternity.  You think NDSU was planning to have Lance opt out for the draft?  The national champion will have an asterisk next to them because if Lance had stayed they would have been better off, but the draft was too important and enough pussified schools run by libtards opted out (i.e. indiana state) and had this bullsh** spring season.
5.  I missed this game. First time in years.  I have no expectations for this scrimmage season.  Maybe this is the year that UNI bridesmaids finally wins a NC and the best part is they will have an asterisk next to the title because everyone in the country knows that the best teams have been hamstrung by the situation unnecessarily created by non-scientific judgements on whether they were going to allow 18-22 year olds that are deemed the lowest risk to play during the designated season..What a f***ing joke.  We have no leadership anymore.  All we have in this country are cowards.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 11:13:17 AM »
Politics has nothing to do that our football program has sunk to nothing.  When Tressel took the Buckeyes job the powers to be have made one bad decision after another.  Heacock, Wolford, Pelini,  We are in a conference that don’t give a sh** about us and geographically don’t fit and it’s destroyed us.  The BS that our conference is the SEC means nothing to the casual fan.  They want to see W’’s and a chance to make the playoffs. They don’t care how tough the conference is. The economics have changed where OtherFCS programs pay more for their assistants than our HC.  Wake the hell up here.  We need to get out of the MVC find a conference that fits us geographically for fans and recruiting.  Or drop down to D2.  We ARE not going to get lucky again like the 90’s.  Look in the mirror here! Go Penguins
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 12:10:01 PM »
Politics has nothing to do that our football program has sunk to nothing.  When Tressel took the Buckeyes job the powers to be have made one bad decision after another.  Heacock, Wolford, Pelini,  We are in a conference that don’t give a sh** about us and geographically don’t fit and it’s destroyed us.  The BS that our conference is the SEC means nothing to the casual fan.  They want to see W’’s and a chance to make the playoffs. They don’t care how tough the conference is. The economics have changed where OtherFCS programs pay more for their a$$istants than our HC.  Wake the hell up here.  We need to get out of the MVC find a conference that fits us geographically for fans and recruiting.  Or drop down to D2.  We ARE not going to get lucky again like the 90’s.  Look in the mirror here! Go Penguins

Well we are not dropping down to D2 and we are not switching conferences so wishful thinking.