Author Topic: UNI Gameday Thread  (Read 24025 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UNI Gameday Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »
Well, HLecter returns!  And since his son was a quality offensive lineman for YSU, his evaluation is very meaningful....and depressing.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
This is by far the worst offensive line in our DI history. They are incapable of opening holes for our backs and pa$$ block so poorly that our quarterbacks have no chance to throw downfield. Unfortunately, that line is the one component of a football team for which there is no quick fix. It will take at least three years of recruiting and development. This is Bo's legacy after his five year tenure.

You got it.......
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »
So far YSU has played the FBS equivalent of playing Alabama and Notre Dame...Losing 25-7 and 21-0.  This week we play Clemson.  While not optimal, we haven’t been blown out.  Pelini was a huge disappointment and left the program in shambles.  Give Phillips a couple years to get it going in the right direction.  It’s going to take at least two recruiting cla$$es and recruiting appears to be what he does well.
Amen to that!  at LEAST 2 classes.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »
Well, HLecter returns!  And since his son was a quality offensive lineman for YSU, his evaluation is very meaningful....and depressing.

Thank you!

I don’t wAnt to point out particular players so as a unit.  They are pretty bad.  They get in their sets way too slowly....feet are bad.  That being said those are techniques that can be improved on with coaching...so do it
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2021, 11:44:38 AM »

Thank you!

I don’t wAnt to point out particular players so as a unit.  They are pretty bad.  They get in their sets way too slowly....feet are bad.  That being said those are techniques that can be improved on with coaching...so do it
Thanks for not pointing out particular players, these are NOT evil players, just kids trying against what is currently more talented defenses.  Make no mistake, NDSU and UNI are good teams. (unfortunately so are SIU, SDSU, SD, ND good grief)  Question is, do these kids have the talent, if coached up?  Answer available in 6 weeks!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »

Thank you!

Nice to see you back I always liked your input.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2021, 06:23:01 PM »
The fact that the same people who hired the previous three coaches with the exception of Wolf continue to make the coaching decisions is concerning.  They made the hires and extended contracts.  Best case scenario would be playoffs in 2023 which would be another 6-7 year hiatus. 

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »
The fact that the same people who hired the previous three coaches with the exception of Wolf continue to make the coaching decisions is concerning.  They made the hires and extended contracts.  Best case scenario would be playoffs in 2023 which would be another 6-7 year hiatus.

Best case scenario is we make the playoffs this fall. I know we're a long way off, but the young defense is headed in the right direction. Once the Oline develops a bit we'll get things going on offense

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2021, 01:43:21 PM »
Here is the key!  These players want to play for these coaches. In two games it is apparent. In the Pelini Reign of Terror the players quit, were tired of the berating and didn’t want to play for the a$$hole. These players are not afraid to make mistakes. We all know what happened to players who made mistakes in the Pelini Reign of Terror! They were murdered on the sideline, embarrassed in front of friends and family and benched.   If you get kids that want to play and will do anything in season and off season, you will put a competitive team on the field. They are 18-22 year olds and the returning players lived through hell. I’m surprised some don’t have PTSD. ( Pelini Traumatic Stress Syndrome). That is all I want to see during this silly season. Players that care and players that will give everything they got, with the talent level they were given, (which we know is behind) to do their best. He has turned that around in two games against teams with way more talent then us. And by the way we were in both games going into the 4th quarter. We got worn down, which we knew would happen with the defense on the field so long. Give the guy a break. Tressel was 2-9 his first year after Narduzzi.  And he wasn’t coaching during a pandemic.  Must be a lot of millennials on here looking for immediate gratification. Your mothers must have never told you no before.

Go Guins.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »
Here is the key!  These players want to play for these coaches. In two games it is apparent. In the Pelini Reign of Terror the players quit, were tired of the berating and didn’t want to play for the a$$hole. These players are not afraid to make mistakes. We all know what happened to players who made mistakes in the Pelini Reign of Terror! They were murdered on the sideline, embarra$$ed in front of friends and family and benched.   If you get kids that want to play and will do anything in season and off season, you will put a competitive team on the field. They are 18-22 year olds and the returning players lived through hell. I’m surprised some don’t have PTSD. ( Pelini Traumatic Stress Syndrome). That is all I want to see during this silly season. Players that care and players that will give everything they got, with the talent level they were given, (which we know is behind) to do their best. He has turned that around in two games against teams with way more talent then us. And by the way we were in both games going into the 4th quarter. We got worn down, which we knew would happen with the defense on the field so long. Give the guy a break. Tressel was 2-9 his first year after Narduzzi.  And he wasn’t coaching during a pandemic.  Must be a lot of millennials on here looking for immediate gratification. Your mothers must have never told you no before.

Go Guins.

Totally agree with you POAS. DP has said he’s okay with the kids making mistakes if they do so while playing hard, which I think is a good attitude.

But also, I’d like to defend my generation by saying that I’m a millennial who understands that this will take time.

Offline Guin83

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:22 PM »
Here is the key!  These players want to play for these coaches. In two games it is apparent. In the Pelini Reign of Terror the players quit, were tired of the berating and didn’t want to play for the a$$hole. These players are not afraid to make mistakes. We all know what happened to players who made mistakes in the Pelini Reign of Terror! They were murdered on the sideline, embarra$$ed in front of friends and family and benched.   If you get kids that want to play and will do anything in season and off season, you will put a competitive team on the field. They are 18-22 year olds and the returning players lived through hell. I’m surprised some don’t have PTSD. ( Pelini Traumatic Stress Syndrome). That is all I want to see during this silly season. Players that care and players that will give everything they got, with the talent level they were given, (which we know is behind) to do their best. He has turned that around in two games against teams with way more talent then us. And by the way we were in both games going into the 4th quarter. We got worn down, which we knew would happen with the defense on the field so long. Give the guy a break. Tressel was 2-9 his first year after Narduzzi.  And he wasn’t coaching during a pandemic.  Must be a lot of millennials on here looking for immediate gratification. Your mothers must have never told you no before.

Go Guins.
[/quote

Well stated! 
guin83

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2021, 08:15:38 AM »
Good point on Coach T's record. He was given a great crop of players and did well in year 1, then in two more years there was more than one person talking about replacing him, but cooler heads prevailed.