Author Topic: NDSU Gameday  (Read 23473 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU Gameday
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2021, 06:06:21 PM »
They are finally opening their play book

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2021, 06:11:03 PM »
This NDSU team is not anywhere near past years teams.

That might be true, but it's not like they are going to drop from national championship caliber to average MVFC team. We're playing a very good football team.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »
Waid is making plays! He certainly gives this offense a new dynamic

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »

That might be true, but it's not like they are going to drop from national championship caliber to average MVFC team. We're playing a very good football team.

But I willl agree, I think SDSU or UNI has a great chance at beating NDSU this year, no doubt.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
18-7!

I still don't get the pessimism here. This is much better than the last time we played the Bison. A young team with a brand new coaching staff being able to compete with the Bison is amazing!

As a reminder it was 55-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter the last time we played NDSU.

I don't get it either,
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2021, 06:44:05 PM »

They sure did not impress but they got the win.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »
For those of you who are actually upset right now, I will just say this.  Tressel was 2-9 in his first year, he inherited more talent from Narduzzi than Pelini left for Phillips, and the OVC in 1986 was a weak conference compared to the modern MVFC.

Disregarding the transfers that Phillips brought in, take a look at the juniors and seniors that Phillips inherited.  How many would you label as "good" football players?  Two? Three? It will take years to develop these ridiculously young players.

No turnovers, few penalties, playing hard to the final whistle. Many of the things on Peteonastick's list could be checked off today.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »
Thought that the D played pretty well.

With 4 new faces on the O line I am not shocked that they started slow, will take some time to jell. Thought that we looked slow on O at times.

Tried watching how the coach handled himself, seemed under control to me.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »
Can definitely tell the players were playing hard and didn't quit, unlike under Pelini.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2021, 07:18:50 PM »
I think we need Waid at QB to have a chance on offense. Our O line is not good enough to have a running game, especially with our smaller running backs. We need Waid to add the bigger runner we so desperately need and the extra person to be concerned about. Craycraft is a more traditional QB who will have trouble without a running game. Maybe later in the year he can do well.

Defense played well but needs more size to be competitive at the highest level. I am hopefully that the D will be acceptable this year and really good in the future.

Coaches looked under control and players played hard. Good for them.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2021, 07:24:08 PM »
1. Yes this was a very poor and DSU football team compared to normal. I am certain that much of it has to do with the length of time since they last played. However not impressed with their quarterback at all.

2. Considering every year one or two small running backs rip us apart, when are we ever going to do something about it.? This has been going on for years.

3. Although we have seriously improved in Defense has a team. We still do not put together three straight defensive plays and get off the field. Then the one time we actually shifted your position in our favor we gave up a 70 yard run and put it right back in the bisons favor again and we never got it back. A young team like this needs field position they’re not ready to take the ball and drive The length of the field against one of the top teams in the country.

4. Very happy with McGlaughlin, I am a bit worried about his consistency but until we can put a line in front of him hard to say. He was the only Back that the NDSU coach brought up during the week, so clearly they were ready for him and had some respect. Did not seem to key on him though.

5. Why is it that we cannot get a punter that can kick the ball high and deep? We line drive that one front and hit the guy in the numbers you knew he was going to take it all the way soon as you saw him catch the ball. My God it hit him right in the numbers with a 40 yard cushion. I don’t not know if we changed kickers in the second half, but he either improve dramatically or is a much better kicker seems like a keeper as long as he stays consistent. Now we have to see how our field-goal kicking is going to be.

6. On the officiating side we got away with a few things, so I cannot complain too badly. However the amount of holding it in DSU does is unbelievable and I get away with it year after year after year it’s the way their coached. Officials need to learn to call a couple of those early in the game that’ll stop. That one touchdown will not have happened had The bison lineman not grabbed our player by the front of the collar and pulled him down to the ground get his hole. You have to be impressed by some of that lateral speed we had on defense today very good and tackling seems to have improved.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2021, 07:34:36 PM »
I was not disappointed at the players.
I was disappointed at the play call, play selections and the choice of QB in the first half.
We knew Waid is more mobile and can run. As it turned out, he also had better down field vision
Right now, he is the better choice of the two.
Our new transferred RB has quickness. But, he did not appear to have the power to break tackles.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2021, 10:33:20 PM »
YSU defense was pretty dang good, I think thats your ticket this year.

You should throw more rollouts into the flat, screens etc and just mix it up more

NDSU lost RB 1 (adam cofield to WKU, WR Sproles didnt play, neither did starting CB Weber or FB luepke and RB Seth Wilson got hurt 5th play of game)

NDSU will be just fine
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:37:02 PM by lakesbison »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2021, 12:31:30 AM »
(Some of ) You guys are way too pessimistic, the defense is playing great against the #1 team in the country. Only down 11-0 near halftime is beyond my wildest expecations!

Yes the offense looks terrible, but we're competing with NDSU. Couldn't hope for much more at this point

Kandrase I completely agree. When I was watching this game I was thinking man YSU is playing way better than my expectations. Especially the defense. Offense had issues but this was the first game and early in the season. I actually think the offense will improve going forward. Also... I wasn't really expecting anything going into this game so maybe that's why this seemed to beat my expectations.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2021, 07:51:11 AM »
YSU defense was pretty dang good, I think thats your ticket this year.

You should throw more rollouts into the flat, screens etc and just mix it up more

NDSU lost RB 1 (adam cofield to WKU, WR Sproles didnt play, neither did starting CB Weber or FB luepke and RB Seth Wilson got hurt 5th play of game)

NDSU will be just fine

Lakes you are a hoot, I keep life in perspective, and I find you post humorous. you start out with a little kudo to our defense. Then some gracious advice on how to improve our offense, then quickly point out so many key players that were not able to help.

I have no doubt that you folks will be fine and I wish the best to you the rest of the season, you sound like a smart guy, I will  pa$$ along your play calling suggestions to the head coach if you can teach your fans the correct words to the National Anthem.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:55:56 PM by guinpen »