Author Topic: NDSU Gameday  (Read 23818 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU Gameday
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
  Agree with much of what has been said.  I don't think we were outcoached, I like what I saw overall from the staff.  We need better players.  Bo's last year 2-6, and many blowout losses, this process will be baby steps.  But I think Phillips will get talent and by the fall of 2022 we will be a playoff team.

As for NDSU, I listened to most of the game, Hannon said they played without their all conference fullback and starting safety.  What is frightful is that NDSU is very young, and isn't going anywhere.  Hannon also said that they have a transfer from Va. Tech who will be eligible to play QB in the fall who was a 4 star recruit out of high school.  But many of you may be right, this could be the year that SDSU wins the conference.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »
This NDSU team is not anywhere near past years teams.
Agreed
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »
Can definitely tell the players were playing hard and didn't quit, unlike under Pelini.
Really nice effort.  Also not a ton stupid penalties like offside motion etc. and not players running in and out, not knowing were they were supposed to be.  All good signs for Phillips and his staff. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2021, 12:17:49 PM »
This is MVFC and while not the pros it's probably still fair to say "there is not such thing as a moral victory,"  While I didn't feel like we won anything Sunday, I certainly had a better feeling about where we are than I did going in the game.. Frankly 42-0 wouldn't have shocked me.  We played much better defense than I expected, and pass defense with all the freshman was pretty damn good. Would have been interesting to have Waid and an open playbook for 4 quarters. 
All that being said, UNI lost 24-20 at SDSU so we are going to be up against it again Saturday.
Truth is, Sunday was as good as we could have expected.  LOTS of kids got big time experience and certainly shouldn't have felt crushed in any way, and I didn't notice any significant injuries.  1 down, 7 more games until we get to fall and meaningful football.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2021, 09:09:00 PM »
Promising.

1.  I like the fact that he's ok it his best players on defense.  He appears to be building like Luke Fickell and Jim Tressel.
2.  We didnt make too many stupid mistakes.
3.  They played hard every snap and didn't give in.
4.  Disciplined for such a young team.

Tressel Ball is back in my opinion.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2021, 11:26:40 PM »
The endless obsession of a reincarnation of JT in someone else is beyond played out at YSU. Tressel Ball doesn't work in 2021 and most realize that.  Phillips may talk like Tressel but he isn't anymore like him then his 3 predisessors.  Everyone needs to move on and embrace the here and now and be glad if you had the pleasure of experiencing YSU FOOTBALL IN THE 90s.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »
The endless obsession of a reincarnation of JT in someone else is beyond played out at YSU. Tressel Ball doesn't work in 2021 and most realize that.  Phillips may talk like Tressel but he isn't anymore like him then his 3 predisessors.  Everyone needs to move on and embrace the here and now and be glad if you had the pleasure of experiencing YSU FOOTBALL IN THE 90s.
"Tressel ball" doesn't look the same, but it certainly does work.  It works at 31-24 not 17-14 but it still works.  Look at national championship game.  Yes we remember Smith making our DBs look silly, but watch the game tape again,  When we needed a 1st down they shut down the running game and when they needed a first, Harris picked it up every time.  I agree with your "hear and now" and think Doug Phillips deserves no less, but if you can run and stop the run, you have an excellent chance of winning.  What did Big Ben rack up in the playoff game against the Browns, 500+ yards.  But we ran the ball effectively, and stopped their running.  Long live Tressel ball!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2021, 10:20:18 AM »
Jim Tressel had the best offensive and defensive lines in 1-AA.   That will not happen again.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2021, 10:24:04 AM »
Jim Tressel had the best offensive and defensive lines in 1-AA. 

Not sure I agree with this statement.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2021, 10:41:28 AM »

I agree with guinpen.  I saw us play for 6 national championships (NOT all live) and I thought we had the most talented team on the field in exactly 1 of those games.  I thought we had the best prepared and coached team in all 6.  I thought OSU had a significantly less talented team in 2002.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:45 AM »
Tressel Ball (basically Joe Paterno) or whatever you wanna call it works when Jim Tressel is on the sidelines. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2021, 11:01:55 AM »
Tressel Ball (basically Joe Paterno) or whatever you wanna call it works when Jim Tressel is on the sidelines.
That implies it doesn't work when Phillips is on the sidelines.  We'll, frankly is part of my enjoyment Sunday was seeing the sweeter vest patrolling our sidelines again.  Anybody think that was a coincidence?  Gibbs Rule 39: There is no such thing as a coincidence
I think Coach Phillips deserves a chance to establish "Phillips ball" and if it looks a lot like Tressel ball, all the better!  For me "a chance" is at LEAST 3 seasons,

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2021, 11:07:50 AM »

I thought we had the best prepared and coached team in all 6. 

I agree with this statement

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:27 AM »
That implies it doesn't work when Phillips is on the sidelines.  We'll, frankly is part of my enjoyment Sunday was seeing the sweeter vest patrolling our sidelines again.  Anybody think that was a coincidence?  Gibbs Rule 39: There is no such thing as a coincidence
I think Coach Phillips deserves a chance to establish "Phillips ball" and if it looks a lot like Tressel ball, all the better!  For me "a chance" is at LEAST 3 seasons,

To me calling it Jim Tressel is just a label. The more talent the better but the key is to have the team prepared and then be able to coach the team during the course of the game especially the 4th qtr.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2021, 11:32:24 AM »

To me calling it Jim Tressel is just a label. The more talent the better but the key is to have the team prepared and then be able to coach the team during the course of the game especially the 4th qtr.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure the most important thing is coaching.  To have the talent is critical  Certainly both are important.  If you took Sunday's game and removed all the last couple months of transfers, leaving what Pelini left and the recruiting class, we would have been run right out of the gym!  Talent and coaching.  IMO, we were coached very well Sunday and it was still 25-7.   The big hurdle for DP is NOT the next 7 spring games, but his first "start to finish" recruiting class.  We simply aren't good enough to compete in the MVFC just yet.