Author Topic: Spring football expectations  (Read 4221 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring football expectations
« on: February 17, 2021, 10:58:38 AM »
 I am by no means being negative, and I wish Coach Phillips the best, he appears to be a great guy with a passion and he will connect with the fans.

But I saw the roster and 2 deep.  Only 3 seniors starting on defense, 27 red shirt freshman on defense.  On offense Dan Becker is the lone starter on the line with any game experience.  It is going to take him time to recruit and turn over this roster.  I think anything better than 2-6 this spring would be a good start for him.

Also, the conference didn't do him any favors by starting with the number 1-3-5 teams in the country in the first four games.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring football expectations
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »
I think your "anything better than 2-6 would be a good start" is WILDLY optimistic.  Frankly IMO we'll be closer to 0-8 than 3-5.  I'm thrilled to see DP is taking this as "extended spring ball"  We aren't going anywhere with seniors and guys with experience losing.  We need to work with the new kids to develop them for this and subsequent fall seasons.  We are going to need a TON of new talent over the next few years, but I have confidence in Coach Philips. ( we have no choice anyway!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
In a weird way all the young guys on the roster is good this year. If we wasted a senior laden team on a weird spring season I’d be disappointed. This is a good opportunity to develop the young guys and begin to institute a culture change. Hopefully this spring will be a developmental season that will give us a strong foundation for fall

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 12:13:29 PM »
Wolford turned the roster over immediately and had some success.  The MVFC is deep and competitive but if Phillips isn't competing in 2022 he is probably the wrong guy.  This is FCS and things can happen quickly with the right guy and some breaks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:24:02 PM by goodnews »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »
As others have noted, it is a very good thing that Phillips is rebuilding with very young players. This spring I am looking to see if the team plays hard for the entire game, no matter the score. I also want to see improvement by April. As far as wins are concerned, 2 is probably realistic.  But if you look at the schedule, winning the last four games is not inconceivable.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 08:24:15 AM »
In a weird way all the young guys on the roster is good this year. If we wasted a senior laden team on a weird spring season I’d be disappointed. This is a good opportunity to develop the young guys and begin to institute a culture change. Hopefully this spring will be a developmental season that will give us a strong foundation for fall
Ditto!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:27:09 AM »
As others have noted, it is a very good thing that Phillips is rebuilding with very young players. This spring I am looking to see if the team plays hard for the entire game, no matter the score. I also want to see improvement by April. As far as wins are concerned, 2 is probably realistic.  But if you look at the schedule, winning the last four games is not inconceivable.
"But if you look at the schedule, winning the last four games is not inconceivable."
Must be close to the start of a football season!!  Unbridled optimism runs rampant!