Author Topic: YSU vs Robert Morris  (Read 6066 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Robert Morris
« on: February 05, 2021, 03:17:15 PM »
Just what the Guins need a game with Bobby Morris.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Robert Morris
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
Coach said in his weekly press conference that DQ was not expected to play this weekend.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:21:05 PM »
Pull this one out in OT. DQ was the difference.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 01:27:13 AM »
You could just see the difference in how much smoother the offense runs with DQ in there.  Thought he had a great game for not playing in 6 weeks.  Coach had said how good of a shooter Kelley is and he was impressive as well.  The fact YSU overcame those dagger 3's at both the end of the first half and regulation and still was able to win was good to see, as well as that phantom foul on Naz in OT that gave RMU a free point.  Was good to see Akuchie knock down 3 of 4 from 3's and YSU sealed it from the foul line.

You just have to wonder how good YSU could have been if it wasn't for COVID and the injuries to DQ, Kelley & Thomas. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »
"You just have to wonder how good YSU could have been if it wasn't for COVID and the injuries to DQ, Kelley & Thomas".

Mud,that line describes the actuality of the season imop.

Loved having DQ back but his 4 of 16 was as bad as he'll play and credit that for a lack of game reps which is both physical and mental.  I could see in his body language that he's not his usual 100% confident but if the ankle is fine DQ will back to killing it.  It's just a matter of time or reps.

Greyson Kelly at first glance blew me away with going 3 of 4 and 2 of 2 from three and drilled  both of his free throws.  I have a tendency to over hype but if that is a microcosim of what he brings then please give him more than 15 minutes.

Naz was his usual dominant in the paint and Covington & Akuchie played like seniors you would expect. 

Glad to have a couple of guys back from injuries and not being too dependent on the frosh.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:54:06 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »
Sure was nice to win the game.  DQ back is big as it takes the heat off of depending on the freshmen in difficult situations at the end of a game.  Basically the freshmen were not a factor in the game except for Mays and his clutch free throws at the end of the game. Kelly surprised me and seems to be a player.  With DQ back, a new Kelly who contributed, Naz and Covington having good games, and Michael having a strong game and making a clutch 3 in OT, we still barely beat the last place team.  With DQ back and with some reps he will be fine. Hope that happens today and we win by a comfortable margin.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 06:50:19 PM »
Make your damn FT's

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 07:06:57 PM »
What a difference DQ makes

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 07:12:01 PM »
Akuchie had 24 rebounds.

DQ is the reason we swept on the road.  Thought the offense got a little stagnant the 2nd half.  Man,two over time games made life excruciating .

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 07:26:41 PM »
We will take any win that we can get.  BUT:

Each week all across this nation, dozens if not hundreds of high school kids make clutch free throws in the last minutes to secure victory for their teams.  These kids have about 5% of the basketball talent as the DI athletes on our team. Same ball, same height and distance, same level of pressure (perhaps even more pressure as many small towns live and die on the accomplishments of their high school teams.) Yet these kids deliver while our players choke and choke and choke.  Somebody please explain that to me.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 07:47:24 PM »
It is not because of the fan noise

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
Of course I am happy that we won but it should have never gone to OT. Hope that with DQ back we will improve every game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 08:45:01 AM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 01:31:17 AM »
2 most important things are YSU wins both games & DQ is back.  But yeah neither game should have went to OT especially game 2 (basically never trailed), both should have been closed out something this team did consistently last year that they're lacking this year.   I really liked the defensive effort in game 2, that was also reminiscent of last year.  Up 11 with 15 mins to go and the way Robert Morris was struggling to score, I didn't think there was anyway they would have a shot to win. 

Robert Morris is certainly better than their record so let's not take anything away from the wins...4 OT losses this year and were shutdown several times this year.

24 rebounds for Akuchie is unbelievable.  He was great both games and I think that was a big key outside of DQ being back. 

I wondered why Mayes didn't play and then Coach said he had his toe stepped on in game 1 and has to get an x-ray, hopefully that's nothing serious.   

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »
DQ made the difference in both games. Would have lost both without him. Big help all game, but especially at the end of both games.  Again the new guys didn't contribute much.  Vargo had 2 big 3's and Miles Hunter a big basket at the end of game 2 which was crucial. They need more time to get ready for this level of competition. Also Michael was huge. He needs to spend more time inside and less outside the 3 point line. He and Naz could make a great complementary pair inside.  With DQ back we have a good chance this weekend for a sweep.  Hope so anyway.  He doesn't seem to be favoring the ankle like he did early in the year, but he is not quite back to his old self.  He makes everyone on the team better.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 09:59:13 PM »
DQ made the difference in both games. Would have lost both without him. Big help all game, but especially at the end of both games.  Again the new guys didn't contribute much.  Vargo had 2 big 3's and Miles Hunter a big basket at the end of game 2 which was crucial. They need more time to get ready for this level of competition. Also Michael was huge. He needs to spend more time inside and less outside the 3 point line. He and Naz could make a great complementary pair inside.  With DQ back we have a good chance this weekend for a sweep.  Hope so anyway.  He doesn't seem to be favoring the ankle like he did early in the year, but he is not quite back to his old self.  He makes everyone on the team better.

Agree 100% with all this.  I was going to post earlier that I still don't think DQ is 100% either.  He just doesn't seem to have the quickness he had last year to drive the basket; that was the case early in the season as well. 

Hopefully Monday's game will give the freshman some more valuable game experience.