Author Topic: Detroit YSU MBB  (Read 5828 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit YSU MBB
« on: January 30, 2021, 11:02:55 AM »
Another tough loss.  YSU isn't finding ways to win these close games like last year.  That's 2 of the last 3 games at home that would have felt a lot different if YSU could have pulled them out but instead they are buried now in next to last in the standings.

YSU finally shot the ball well, but was sloppy with the ball in the first half that gave Detroit too many points off turnovers.  YSU just continues to struggle with the zone and couldn't get Naz into the game.  Covington was tremendous & so was Akuchie.

Unless DQ comes back and is effective, this team just isn't consistent enough to be able to string wins together & make any kind of run in the tournament.  The biggest thing missing from last year is defense; and the intensity and energy just isn't there.  You just knew early on in the Detroit game YSU was going to have to make a lot of shots and they did, but not enough to overcome the defensive intensity that's lacking.   

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit YSU MBB
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »
Basketball stayed with Slocum way too long.  Set the program back and it hurt recruiting.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 02:38:39 PM »
My frustration is that a team like Detroit loses players and reloads with multiple D1 transfers who have been in others programs and bring experience.
YSU has four returning starters(I know DQ is out) that are the foundation of the program and we falter.  We're not getting good D1 transfer from the portal but get a D2 player who may be really good but has not seen the court because of an injury and the same having the only experienced post player out for the season with an ACL.

I like coach Calhoun's traditional way of getting 4-6 frosh and let them grow with the upper cla$$men.  Unfortunately this was the year that we had guys that have been in the program 3-4 years and we're supposed to battle for league title. It's like saying  four years ago we have to be patient and pay our dues with the new regime and as fans we have but now we're not seeing the dividends.

Is it bad luck with injuries ?  Are the other teams getting better transfers than the players that have been in our program for 4 years ?  Detroit is not he only example.  If I remember correctly Milwaukee had a coaching change and was crushed by defections.

The roster has about six freshman and at least three newcomers for next season but you're not usually going to be a contender when the program is that young.
Not sure about the covid rules if some are eligible to come back or if some can be graduate transfers elsewhere.

Bottom line is YSU is 4-9 in the conference with seven games left when this was the YEAR that we would challenge for the crown.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 02:41:29 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »
Gee Cleveland State has turned it around too

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
I am just as frustrated as the next guy. I need to be realistic that without a healthy DQ, we are simply not a contender.

Davis of DMU and DQ are both 1st team HL player. Does anyone believe that DMU would have won last night if they didn’t have Davis and we had a healthy DQ?
Let us hope to get DQ back and make a push at the tournament.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
I agree with the above.  We need DQ to be competitive with our supporting cast and no real post player which hurts our outside game. Our remaining talent is ok in a support role, but not primary players. We shot better than I ever thought possible from 3 and still lost. I don't think a repeat of that can happen today and we will be in trouble. Other teams double Naz inside and the others can't take advantage of that and score.  If we try that on defense, it backfires. Need DQ and some better players. Detroit just looks like they had better players, especially with Davis taking the heat off the others.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 07:02:15 PM »
If you would of told me we would be 15 of 15 from the ft line I'd would of felt good but no we could not shoot the ball from the perimeter today.  Frosh were jacking them up and they were not dropping.  Team looks lost.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 07:27:58 PM »
If you would of told me we would be 15 of 15 from the ft line I'd would of felt good but no we could not shoot the ball from the perimeter today.  Frosh were jacking them up and they were not dropping.  Team looks lost.

I am at a lost. We finally led by 5 by working the ball inside in the second half.
Them we started to jack the 3 ball two straight times. DMU made two 3’s and we were down 1. Several turn overs at the end of game doomed us.
Very disappointing.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »
I said this before they are not a 3 point shooting team.  the fact they keep jacking up 3's that are not going in is why they are losing.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 10:17:08 AM »
Our new players are too in love with 3's and have a poor percentage shooting them. The end of the game was bad with all the 3's and misses and 2 costly turnovers. Detroit has some good 3 point shooters and they seem quicker than us. Our new players get beat off the dribble often and on offense are guarded so closely they have a difficult time getting a clean shot. In some ways we were lucky to keep the game so close. Without an inside presence Detroit can guard the perimeter and we have contested shots which results in a low percentage. Also it seems the new players rush their shots. We are always in a difficult mode on offense with the other teams speed and length. One can see what DQ and Naz would have been together and taking the heat off the others. Hope for DQ's return and for next year some genuine post players. Where is Jelani Simmons?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »
listened to the game, understand our record
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 11:43:30 PM »
So frustrating.  It's hard to put into words.  This team can't put anyone away, and simply doesn't know how to play with a lead.  I really thought YSU had this one up 3 and the ball and the ending was simply pathetic.  The constant jacking up the 3's is irritating when YSU isn't a good 3-point shooting team.  The last 3 losses were all right there for the taking and the fact all 3 have come at home is not good.     

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
Damn, we need a new point guard.  Somebody like that Darius Quisenberry we had the last couple years would be great down the stretch in some of these games!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 10:16:31 AM »
Damn, we need a new point guard.  Somebody like that Darius Quisenberry we had the last couple years would be great down the stretch in some of these games!

It's been a shame no one has really stepped up in so many of these games down the stretch where YSU has either lost at the end or a close game got away from them later in the 2nd half.  I think it's one of the biggest things that YSU is missing without DQ's presence.  He either took over or closed out so many games in the past.