Author Topic: League Basketball Schedules  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
League Basketball Schedules
« on: November 04, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »
The league schedules for both the men and women are now posted on the YSU athletics site.  Once again the Horizon League did us no favors.  Both the men and women play the first two weekends on the road.  The league also determined that there will be no fans for league games played in December.  Attendance at non-conference games is up to the individual school.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: League Basketball Schedules
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 11:59:38 PM »
Is there a non-conf schedule?  Appears that the schedule is all within a bus trip.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »
The league schedules for both the men and women are now posted on the YSU athletics site.  Once again the Horizon League did us no favors.  Both the men and women play the first two weekends on the road.  The league also determined that there will be no fans for league games played in December.  Attendance at non-conference games is up to the individual school.

But wouldn't playing games on the road when their is a guarantee of no fans in the crowd actually be to your favor?   

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »

But wouldn't playing games on the road when their is a guarantee of no fans in the crowd actually be to your favor?   

I agree that playing a road game inside an empty gym is better, but the need to travel and the home team's familiarity with the environment probably are the biggest disadvantages.

Here is the thing that really makes me unhappy.  Look at our schedule. 8 out of the first 10 games are on the road. We could have a really good team, go 4-6, and be disillusioned before the second half of the season. And the league did that to us when, for the first time ever, we are a consensus contender.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 12:07:42 PM »

I agree that playing a road game inside an empty gym is better, but the need to travel and the home team's familiarity with the environment probably are the biggest disadvantages.

Here is the thing that really makes me unhappy.  Look at our schedule. 8 out of the first 10 games are on the road. We could have a really good team, go 4-6, and be disillusioned before the second half of the season. And the league did that to us when, for the first time ever, we are a consensus contender.

Wick, I agree that's a brutal amount of travel and the way things are trending I have a feeling that no crowds at all during the season could be a realistic possibility. 

I'm in my late 30's and remember going to games with my dad during the Storia years but my realistic earliest memories of YSU basketball is during the beginning of the Peters era with guys like Raber Jr. and Leroy King. 

This is the type of season I've been waiting for and it's awful that A) I feel like I'm waiting for a foot to drop and wipe it out or B) I'm not going to get to see any games live.  Fingers crossed, keep masking up, and hope for the best.  Go Guins.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 12:46:02 AM »
Has anyone noticed Oaklands schedule? They may be winless but have padded there bank account.  Games at Xavier, Purdue, Michigan, Oklahoma State and Michigan State.  In addition, games against Toledo and Bradley.  I'd say thats pretty aggressive.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 10:56:14 AM »
Has anyone noticed Oaklands schedule? They may be winless but have padded there bank account.  Games at Xavier, Purdue, Michigan, Oklahoma State and Michigan State.  In addition, games against Toledo and Bradley.  I'd say thats pretty aggressive.

It bothers me that we haven't had a game yet.  Not sure what the status is with the Wuhan since it's been 3 weeks that they have shut down their activities.   Hopefully before the men go on the road on December 19th to Northern Ky they can squeeze in a game or two against a Westminister/Hiram type to get some live game reps or they're going to start out with some rust while their opponents are not.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »
Bluefield state (WV) Wednesday at 7pm according to Vargo per twitter.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 05:15:19 AM »
Bluefield state (WV) Wednesday at 7pm according to Vargo per twitter.

Article on today’s Tribune/Vilndy

SU men to host first game Wednesday

YSU SPORTS
DEC 7, 2020

JOHN VARGO
Sports Reporter
jvargo@tribtoday.com

YOUNGSTOWN — The start of this year’s college basketball season was Nov. 25. The Youngstown State University men’s basketball team was forced to be a spectator.

YSU paused all team activities due to a positive COVID-19 test on Nov. 16, following national, state, local, and NCAA guidelines regarding the coronavirus. The Penguins’ team exited quarantine and started practicing last Wednesday (Dec. 2).

YSU men’s basketball coach Jerrod Calhoun said the team is hosting Bluefield College (2-4), an NAIA school from Bluefield, Va. The opener for the Penguins is at 7 p.m., Wednesday at the Beeghly Center.

YSU Director of Athletics Ron Strollo said 300 tickets are available for Wednesday’s game, with 100 going to families of players, cheerleaders, band and coaches. That leaves 200 for the general public.

Calhoun said he and his staff are trying to schedule four games before YSU begins Horizon League play Dec. 19 and 20 at Northern Kentucky University.

He said they’re looking at Wednesday, Saturday, Dec. 13 and Dec. 15 as games. Dec. 15 is against Canisius. Calhoun said he doesn’t know if that game is home or away, depending on the travel ban due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

YSU’s team was out for 21 days, practicing six times in November.

“You see them getting back in the swing of things,” Calhoun said. “Their wind is coming back. I’ve been really pleased how they’ve responded coming off quarantine, being anxious to get in the gym. They look pretty good to be honest with you.”

Wednesday will be the first game YSU has played since March 5 in Chicago, when the Penguins lost to UIC in a Horizon League quarterfinal contest.

“We’ve been able to get everybody back practicing, so we’re busy trying to get them back in shape,” Calhoun said. “Obviously, we haven’t played in a very, very long time. I think we’re anxious to see what we look like after such a long delay.”

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »
I called earlier and got a ticket.  Who knows how many opportunities we'll get to watch a game in person.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:46 PM »
Bluefield out.   Point Park in for Wednesday if it matters.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »
Does anyone know if the game will be televised on local tv?