Author Topic: University of Akron  (Read 5177 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
University of Akron
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
I know this isn't strictly YSU sports, and maybe IAA will want this moved to a different forum, but there is sports related information in this.

So, we all know that mid majors in the FBS have been financially struggling and it has been speculated if there was going to be a reshuffling or see certain schools fall down to FCS.

Well, UA has been financially hurting for a while. This whole COVID19 epidemic is hitting them VERY hard. See this article from Akron Beacon Journal:
https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200423/university-of-akron-announces-plans-for-major-budget-cuts-due-to-coronavirus

I think that a key point that was made by the mayor of Akron, not in the above article but easily found in google, while these cuts became more necessary due to COVID19, UA was already struggling and going to need to do something eventually.

Key points of the article above are listed here:

“I have directed the Provost and his leadership team (including the deans) to present a plan for a full reorganization of the academic division that reduces the number of colleges and the number of programs while fine-tuning our traditional strength areas,” Miller said.

Senior administrators hired before April 1, including Miller, will take a 10% salary reduction next fiscal year.

The athletic department will need to present a plan for a 20% reduction next year as well

“There is considerable uncertainty about the future of mid-major Division I athletics,” Miller said. “Additional reorganization and reduction may be necessary in that area as we learn more about the future of athletics.”

All non-academic administrative divisions must also present plans for 20% reductions of expenditures.

Hiring has been paused for the rest of this academic year and next, “with rare exceptions related to safety, security and revenue generation,” Miller said.

Miller is also looking to reopen negotiations with all bargaining units “for the purpose of expanding flexibility in collective bargaining agreements with unionized employees.”

So... with all that going on, I wonder, IF the game between YSU and Akron would be played anyways if COVID19 wasn't going on?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: University of Akron
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 02:38:19 PM »
YO, this is a perfectly correct topic.  Don't think for a moment that YSU will not be impacted by this horrible situation.  We lost tons of money this semester.  Thinking that athletics won't suffer is unrealistic.

But we at least entered this mess with a relatively stable foundation.  Akron was an absolute financial disaster before the virus, and they were already lopping off programs left and right.  Reading between the lines in the comments of their new president, it is quite obvious that football in Zippy land is in jeopardy.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 03:53:18 PM »
Yes, Akron has over spent in its athletic programs and has major (millions of dollars) deficits for 20 years. But, Akron will continue to stay in the FBS football division at all costs. They will rob "Peter to pay Paul" in all other departments at the University. We have been saying the MAC schools will have to step down to the FCS level for 20 years and they still haven't budged. They will find creative ways to keep the Zips in the FBS.

I would like YSU to have games scheduled with the MAC teams every year instead of the likes of Slippery Rock, Butler and the likes.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 09:53:32 PM »
How could the State of Ohio allow Akron to assumr that amount of debt?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 10:46:46 PM »
How could the State of Ohio allow Akron to assumr that amount of debt?

That is an excellent question.  Massive failure by Ohio politicians that allowed Akron to pursue their delusions.

Several presidents ago, Akron's fearless leader declared that his university would dominate northeastern Ohio.  He went on a gigantic building spree, borrowing countless millions not only for that dinosaur of a stadium but also for academic buildings and dormitories.  He even tried to change the name to Ohio's Polytechnic Institute.  All these fantasies apparently ignorant of the fact that northeastern Ohio already had four state universities, and that the citizens saw nothing special at all about his "glorious" institution.  Now Akron's enrollment is crumbling; the most talented faculty have jumped ship, and those facilities sit partially empty.  Congratulations.  They have earned all the misfortune that has visited them.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:23:54 PM »
  Akron was a mess before COVID, and they are worse off than the others.  But, every state school is getting crushed, including YSU.  Athletics will take a hit, likely layoffs, and potential coaching layoffs, I am talking assistants.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 08:50:50 PM »
Hopefully the impact to YSU is minimal. But yeah Akron is really going to be struggling now it seems

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
What steps has YSU taken to conserve $$$$ in the athletic department? Have they furloughed any of the support staff? What could they have possibly been doing the last 45-60 days?  I am not referring to the academic advisors either