Author Topic: Ysu memorable games, best play, best player off-Def, best player we faced?  (Read 6473 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Doing something different:

All-time best player offense-defense-special teams?
Best game you witnessed?
All time greatest play?
Best road venue you attended?
Worst venue attended?
Best player we faced?
Best Radio team? 
MAC, OVC, or stay where we at?
List one thing you as an AD would do other then wins to improve the football program?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
 YSUGO good job, needed this with all the boredom in my life.

1. I think 1994 was our best overall team.  I would take that team on all levels, Shawn Patton was such a talented running back.
2. Best game is tough, 1991 miracle win over Villanova in round 1 of the playoffs, it was the beginning of the dynasty.
3. Herb Williams catch in 1991 playoff win over Villanova, it was a 4th down play and if he doesn't make that reception, game over.
4. Marshall, the stadium and atmosphere in 1992 and 1993.
5. Western Illinois, not even close.
6. Steve McNair.
7. Hannon and Muransky, good chemistry together.
8. In a perfect world the MAC, but we don't have the money.  Would be best for all sports.
9. The way we market our programs, right now it is pathetic and there is no creativity and innovation. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:00:18 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Doing something different:

All-time best player offense-defense-special teams? Offense - Jaworsky, defense - Rivers, sp. team - Wilkins
Best game you witnessed? Playoff win against Villanova
All time greatest play? Herb Williams 4fh down catch against & subsequent winning field goal by Wilkins
Best road venue you attended? Pittsburgh
Worst venue attended? Lost to Butler
Best player we faced? Air McNair
Best Radio team? 
MAC, OVC, or stay where we at? MAC if and when they drop down to IAA
List one thing you as an AD would do other then wins to improve the football program? New marketing and e tickets available from online.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Best players: Ron Jaworski, Leon Jones, Paul McFadden
Best game: 1991 championship v. Marshall in Georgia; the first one is always the best.
Greatest play: 1991 Williams' catch.  That changed our entire football history.
Best road venue: Marshall
Worst road venue: Akron's Rubber Bowl, crumbling seats and poles like the old Cleveland stadium
Best opponent player: McNair
Radio team: I'm thankful all the road games are televised so I don't have to listen to Hannon.
Conference: MVFC, you don't run away from the best, you become the best.
What must be done: expecting incompetent people to suddenly produce is absurd; clean house and hire real marketing talent.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Best players:   Ron Jaworski, Cliff Stoudt, Tamron Smith
Best game:     !st Alcorn St (Air McNair) super exciting game - 2nd Marshall 1991 championship game
All time Best play: Williams catch vs Marshall 1991 for championship
Best road venue: Penn St., Pittsburgh
Worst road venue: Akron
Best opponent player: Steve McNair 1994 - he supposedly had a injured leg, but passed for over 500 yards.
Best radio team: Don Garner
Conference: MVFC but would rather have us in the MAC - I know, money is the draw back
What must be done? Must do a much better job of recruiting and find coaches to shapen the players game.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
All-time best player offense-defense-special teams? Too many come to mind to pick just one.
Best game you witnessed? Villanova then Samford same year I believe
All time greatest play? William catch hands down. Also loved the 4th qtr defense stand in 94 NC game, 4 shots from the 3 and Marshall could not punch it in.
Best road venue you attended?
Worst venue attended? Rubber Bowl
Best player we faced? McNair, thank god he played the game hurt
Best Radio team? Hannon and Coach, Coach was a bit off but he called it the way he saw it
MAC, OVC, or stay where we at? MAC, when many of them drop down to 1AA
List one thing you as an AD would do other then wins to improve the football program? New league, no interest in most of the teams in our league, too far away
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I'm a little younger than some on here but here goes.

Watching McNair throw for 500+ during that game as a kid was amazing

Kevin Rader's TD catch to end the game vs EWU and send us to the championship. Just an amazing play!

Indiana State is a dump stadium

McNair, Wentz, Leftwich were damn good QB's that we faced.

Not a fan of Hannon but Sammarone and Murnansky have the best chemistry with him

Would love to be in the MAC but don't have the money for that. Won't happen

AD needs to clean house with the old heads that run things like we are still in the 90's. Marketing, gameday experience. Just look at the website and you can see things are outdated. Pictures of the facilities, info. Things need freshened up. Nepotism runs too deep.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Marcus Mason and Tamron Smith best offensive player-Def player Tim Johnson-Special teams-Wilkins
Best game you witnessed?  91 championship win over Marshall.
All time greatest play? I have 2.  The goal line stand against Villanova at their place in 97. Qb Ryan hitting D. Mathews in the back of end zone  in the 99 Semi final for the win. 
Best road venue Penn St and Ohio St.
Worst venue attended?  Richmond was a sh** hole and I hated Northern Iowa and of course the Rubber bowl
Best player we faced?   The Rb for Georgia Southern Peterson.
Best Radio team?  Hannon and Coach
MAC, OVC, or stay where we at?    Love the Mac or OVC.
List one thing you as an AD would do other then wins to improve the football program?   Fire the marketing Dept.   
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
This is too much for me to answer in one thread. I could never chose. On offensive plays: I have 3 in no order.

- 1991 Herb Williams vs Villanova. 4th down and game with a pass you know he could not see. In almost a tie, grabs that TD catch in the Championship game.

- 2016 Kevin Rader Catch vs. E. Washington. He was mauled by that defender and the ref never even thought about the flag, so Rader got 2 hands on the ball behind the defenders back for catch, TD and win.

- 1993 Smith and Clark: (this is actually 2 plays, but one set up the other) "Thunder and lightning" strike on the first two plays of the 1993 championship game. Marshall teamed Tamron and he still picked up more than 10. Then on the next play, Clark cuts it inside for a 60-yard TD. It set the tone of the game with a sweet taste of revenge for the 1992 game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I know that I am going to egret this one, because I have forgotten so many, but some of my favorite players are Tamron Smith, Darnell Clark, Mason, Cook, Mays, Wicks and Ruiz at TB. I also liked Leon Jones, Dwight Smiley and Harry Deligianis(?). There are just too many.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I know that I am going to egret this one, because I have forgotten so many, but some of my favorite players are Tamron Smith, Darnell Clark, Mason, Cook, Mays, Wicks and Ruiz at TB. I also liked Leon Jones, Dwight Smiley and Harry Deligianis(?). There are just too many.

Now those are some great names!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Great memories.  Another one is Tess’s first win over Akron.  Maybe 3K  in the stands, rain, and ricochet catch at end of game.  Sets both programs on different paths.