Author Topic: Horizon League Basketball Tourney  (Read 18469 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Basketball Tourney
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 10:15:42 PM »
Got beat by their own style of play...outrebounded by 13, out-hustled, and lost a defensive effort.  Some of the last possessions were unbelievable that YSU couldn't grab the rebound or loose ball, and it seemed like every ball that went out of bounds was somehow touched by YSU last.  Was just deflating.   And a lot of bad turnovers and just didn't take advantage of a lot of their turnovers.

I realize Quisenberry had 2 fouls in the first half, but I didn't understand him sitting for the final 9 minutes of that first half.  That really took us out of the game and took too long to climb back into it and never get over the hump in the 2nd half.

Missed way too many open shots too...Morgan & Simmons had wide open looks.  Akuchie missed some shots.  Just felt like if a couple of those could have fell it may have turned the tide.

Great game by Covington on offense and defense.

Disappointing too because I really think YSU is a better team than UIC.  They beat them at their place, was up 9 at home & gave it away at the end that basically forced them to go on the road in the quarterfinals, and then to lose that way tonight.   

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
If my math is correct,YSU is 0 for 39 at trying to make the NCAA Tourney.  I think we went D1 in 1981.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
If my math is correct,YSU is 0 for 39 at trying to make the NCAA Tourney.  I think we went D1 in 1981.
I'm not going to add up the years, but the -0- part is definitely correct.
Actually quite a few teams with similar records.  Seems every year there is somebody making the tournament for the first time.  Ours is coming under Coach Calhoun.  Mark my words, 2020-21 is the year!  Go Quins!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
Next year will be fun. Next year is the year.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 11:02:20 AM »
The guards need to score for YSU having any chance of winning.  When they did they won when they didn't they lost.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:06:09 AM by YSU1 »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »
I agree we didn't have a good night and the rebounding battle was lost by us and our shooting in large part was not good.  But we played on Tuesday night till 9 or so.  The players got home and the were up the next morning and got on a bus trip to Chicago ( I am fairly sure it was a bus trip).  That is a long tiring trip even if it was a flight from Pittsburgh or Cleveland.  Then play the next night.  UIC stayed home through all of this and was just fresher in my opinion.  Should have played on Friday to be more fair.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
I agree we didn't have a good night and the rebounding battle was lost by us and our shooting in large part was not good.  But we played on Tuesday night till 9 or so.  The players got home and the were up the next morning and got on a bus trip to Chicago ( I am fairly sure it was a bus trip).  That is a long tiring trip even if it was a flight from Pittsburgh or Cleveland.  Then play the next night.  UIC stayed home through all of this and was just fresher in my opinion.  Should have played on Friday to be more fair.

I was thinking this as well.  While the game not being played at UIC was somewhat of a benefit to YSU, like you said playing 2 days later on the road was going to be tough.  It definitely would have made more sense to be played on Friday as that would have still given 3 days before Monday's semi-finals.  Was difficult for Oakland too to turn around and play 2 days later at Green Bay against a team that got a bye because of Detroit being ineligible. 

And not just because it was YSU in this case, but I've always wished the 2nd tiebreaker would be overall record rather than against the highest seeds.

With Fort Wayne coming into the league next year making for 11 teams, does this mean everyone plays 2 less non-conference games?  And I wonder how the tournament will be set up?  Will the lowest seed not make the tournament?  Don't know if there's time for a play in game.   

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
I don't know what the league will do next year, but I hate this current format.  Just take the top 8 teams.  Have seeds 1-4 host the quarterfinals about four days before the semis.  If the #1 and #2 seeds can't beat #7 and #8 on their home courts, too bad. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
Any chance of YSU making one of those tournaments like CIT or others????

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2020, 12:45:09 PM »

I've heard they should be in the CIT and could host the 1st the game.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 09:04:15 AM »

I've heard they should be in the CIT and could host the 1st the game.
Great! Thanks for the update

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2020, 09:01:51 PM »
WOW UIC just beat Wright State 73-56.  I didn't see that coming at all.  UIC though was a team all year that scared me.  They started off slow with some injuries and suspensions and their record really was never indicitive of how good they were.  They have a lot of good players and senior leadership.  They've now won 6 of the last 7 and 12 of the last 16.  Shows how important it is to get hot late. 

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2020, 09:20:43 PM »
WOW UIC just beat Wright State 73-56.  I didn't see that coming at all.  UIC though was a team all year that scared me.  They started off slow with some injuries and suspensions and their record really was never indicitive of how good they were.  They have a lot of good players and senior leadership.  They've now won 6 of the last 7 and 12 of the last 16.  Shows how important it is to get hot late.

It just shows how competitive our program has come.  UIC looked great tonight and Dan Dakich was all over them with praise.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »
Tournaments and playoffs are about being healthy and hot at the right time!  A couple years ago, we were NOT the second best team in the country, but we were health and hot at the right time, (even in the COLD of EWU)  How many games do you win with a catch like we made to win that game? (one in a lifetime, if that often!)  Obviously Wright State is COLD and UIC is HOT!   We beat Wright a couple weeks ago and lost to UIC, but 2 months ago we were arguably not as good as Wright, and better than UIC.  All sports is a "what have you done for me recently" activity!