Author Topic: Wright State Game  (Read 10217 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Wright State Game
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
Could be a program defining win right here. What a game.

Q continues to cement his legacy with 41 points as one of the best to ever wear the red and white.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:48:27 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wright State Game
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:57:56 PM »
Way to go YSU, great game!! Quiz again was phenomenal; 41 points and 7- 3 pointers.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
Outstanding win for this program! WSU made a bit of a run and then we just put the pedal to the metal the rest of the way. Congrats Coach Calhoun and team! Now let's go beat NKU Saturday!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »
Great game , great intensity, stayed aggressive didn't let the lead evaporate, congratulations coach Calhoun and team. Great win.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:43:07 PM »
Need that same energy Saturday. Would be awesome to beat 1 and 2 back to back games.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 10:19:37 PM »
Probably the biggest win since the quarterfinal win against Oakland 3 years ago, and hard to say how long since a convincing win against a team like that.  YSU was locked in from the start.  Felt like they had an opportunity to get up on them early, but missed some good looks and had some bad turnovers.  Those turnovers probably kept YSU from getting up double figures in the first half.

I was concerned when Wright State got it down to 1 in the 2nd half as it seemed like the game had changed.  Wright State was scoring fast and both teams were trading baskets.  It was more Wright State's style of play.  The crowd really got into though as YSU locked down down on defense.  And really the key was just crushing them on the boards and making 16-17 at the FT in the 2nd half including 16 straight!  And the other key was Covington shutting down Gentry.  When he gets hot, he's hard to stop.  Holding him to just 5 points on 1 made 3 and only 2 assists is impressive. 

Quisenberry was unbelievable.  He was in a zone as his confidence was through the roof.  I don't think he even scored for more than 10 mins in the 2nd half until knocking down some foul shots.

I think we're now 12-1 when holding teams to 70 points or less and 12-2 now at Beeghly! 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:21:07 PM by mudclods »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »
Don't forget about Bohannon.  16 points and 14 rebounds.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
This is a signature win for the year

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:37:21 AM »
The steady progress of this team is impressive.  MOST positive for me (seriously) is the foul shooting.  The last few years and early this year, we consistently lost games with bad shooting at the line.  Games like this and Cleveland state, we played better than the opponent all night, and CLOSED OUT THE GAME AT THE LINE!!  No muss, no fuss, just step up and knock them down.  Not sure we are "there" yet or not, but we DAMN SURE are headed in the right direction.  Congrats all around, players, coaches, fans, and Coach Calhoun! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 11:25:26 AM »
The steady progress of this team is impressive.  MOST positive for me (seriously) is the foul shooting.  The last few years and early this year, we consistently lost games with bad shooting at the line.  Games like this and Cleveland state, we played better than the opponent all night, and CLOSED OUT THE GAME AT THE LINE!!  No muss, no fuss, just step up and knock them down.  Not sure we are "there" yet or not, but we DAMN SURE are headed in the right direction.  Congrats all around, players, coaches, fans, and Coach Calhoun!

I would definitely agree with this.  While there have been some games YSU has shot well from the line, they've been more few and far between than in years past.  I know the Milwaukee game was basically lost by shooting poorly at the line, but as you said we've been able to close a lot of them out by knocking them down.

Like you said, probably not there yet, but one thing this year has proved is that YSU can really play with anyone when they've been locked in.  Haven't been too many games they haven't had a chance.  This team has been excellent at home.  They honestly aren't far off at being undefeated at Beeghly with just the two OT losses.

I've been impressed this year how YSU has bounced back every time after tough losses.  There was a 2-game losing streak in non-conference and the 3-game losing streak during conference play and that's been it.  The 3-game included the road games at NKU & Wright State.   

If YSU could win out and NKU loses next week to Wright St, YSU would get the 2 seed at the double bye.  That's a tough task, but it's still in view.  The other impressive thing is they've beating everyone in the league at least once other than NKU & Milwaukee, which they still have any opportunity to beat.  That would be really impressive!   

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 11:55:25 AM »
     The box score reflected attendance of 2,148.  I watched film from two sources and the crowd looked closer to 3,500.  It sounded like more than that. 

Can anyone who attended the game comment?  Was the math fuzzy?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 12:17:55 PM »
     The box score reflected attendance of 2,148.  I watched film from two sources and the crowd looked closer to 3,500.  It sounded like more than that. 

I saw that and thought that number seemed low compared to other attendance figures.  Only 2 other home league games were reported to be lower.   

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 12:48:13 PM »

I saw that and thought that number seemed low compared to other attendance figures.  Only 2 other home league games were reported to be lower.   

I attended the Green Bay and Cleveland State games at Beeghly, I think announced for those were 2,700 and 3,200, respectively.  Last night's attendance seemed on par with those two games.  It definitely was the loudest / most lively crowd game I have attended in quite a while.

This is a fun team to watch.  Frustrating sometimes, but I have enjoyed the games I have attended and watched on ESPN+.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 01:49:53 PM »
I was shocked when I saw that 2148 attendance figure.  The south bleachers were packed (thanks in part to the football team,) the red seats were much more thickly occupied than usual, and significant people in the east and west bleachers.  Definitely in the 3500 range.  Like most mid-majors, we lie to enhance attendance figures.  Why we would lie in the opposition direction, I have no idea.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »
If they continue moving forward the people will come.  the crowd was noisy and enthusiastic, the players fed off the crowd.