Author Topic: YSU vs Houston Baseball  (Read 6769 times)

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Houston Baseball
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:07:09 PM »
I'm impressed; the YSU baseball team took the last two games in the series with Houston. What's impressive is YSU' pitching holding Houston to 3 and 5 hits respectably. Must of been the warm weather in Houston.

Great job team; kept up the good work. Maybe this year's team will win 20+ games. 

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Houston Baseball
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
Seems like new players have added significantly to the offense.  Good to see.  And the pitching holding up like it did is impressive.  Need to hold down the walks and we will have a chance.  Again some names pitching that I don't recall from last year.  I saw that Houston was ranked something like 36 in the country.

We need baseball to be successful to avoid it being dropped in favor of soccer or something like that.  Local Baseball is pretty good I think and most people can relate to the game over things like soccer.  I know it is the north, but I like college baseball for YSU.

Listened on YSN and they do a good job.  Steve Lesley is a knowledgeable baseball guy, not just an announcer.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55:54 PM »
Last season our pitching outright stunk.  Now in three games we limited a team that practices outside all year to a .150 batting average.  I know that we hold scrimmages behind the netting in the WATTS, but our pitchers had not worked off a mound since the fall.  I sure hope that this weekend is not a fluke.

Baseball simply has to succeed to justify the enormous expenses.  It is our most expensive sport outside of football, compounded by our lack of a campus facility.  I wonder what will happen when the Scrappers fade away after the 2020 season.  Cafaro will probably nuke the facility and build something else on that site.  Perhaps our future is at Cene Park.  Or lacking space adjacent to campus, perhaps the university could take over an abandoned or seldom-used city facility, put in a turf field, and erect 500 modern seats.  Borts or Pemberton come to mind.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »
I know they tried to buy some of the old houses over by Harrison Field to try and expand that and turn that into a new stadium but no such luck.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »
Two almost identical teams out there. College ball is all about hitting. Singles and home-runs. The guys with the most singles are usually the winner because they have more RBI's. Andre Good looks to be playing awesome this series. 5 times at the plate and 5 times he got on base 4 hits and a walk. 2 HR's.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:31:06 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »
Two almost identical teams out there. College ball is all about hitting. Singles and home-runs. The guys with the most singles are usually the winner because they have more RBI's. Andre Good looks to be playing awesome this series. 5 times at the plate and 5 times he got on base 4 hits and a walk. 2 HR's.
"The guys with the most singles are usually the winner because they have more RBI's"  Brings back the immortal words of Phil Sims, who once said on an NFL broadcast, "the team with the most points usually wins." 
Frankly I'll take the team with the most HR's and you can have the most singles and I'll bet I come out ahead.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
After winning those two at Houston, being swept by by Charleston was rather disappointing.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »
Winning 2 of 3 from ACU is impressive.  They have been to the College World Series and a number of Regional NCAA Tournaments so they appear to be an upper level program.  Pitching was the key for us with 2 strong outings by the starters with minimal walks.  Our defense was ok and offense enough to win.  Play at Pitt Tuesday if the weather is ok.  Much improved from last year when they started poorly and it lasted all year.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 07:57:51 AM »
This program is fairly new to D1.  All previous baseball success was at the D2 level.  I don't believe they have any NCAA tournament appearances at the D1 level.  Not taking away from the series win though, sill a solid performance.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 09:27:42 AM »
Hoops,

Nothing new about our baseball program.  We have been DI in baseball and every other sport since our transition from D2 forty years ago.  Also, we have two NCAA tournament appearances in baseball.  The last, I think, in 2014.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
Hoops,

Nothing new about our baseball program.  We have been DI in baseball and every other sport since our transition from D2 forty years ago.  Also, we have two NCAA tournament appearances in baseball.  The last, I think, in 2014.
Thanks Wick.  I know the new to D1 was not correct, and I thought the tournament appearances was incorrect also.  Thanks for setting the record straight. 
The 1st tournament appearance I'm looking for is the NCAA Men's Basketball!  Probably not there just yet, but certainly headed in the right direction.  Only thing bad about making the Big Dance is it will probably cost us a coach.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »
YSU baseball defeats Pitt 7-5. It's great to see the baseball doing well in early season play, usually their getting hammered. I hope they can continue the good pitching and the timely hitting. The don't want the see the bubble burst.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »
Hoops,

Thanks Wick.  I know the new to D1 was not correct, and I thought the tournament appearances was incorrect also.  Thanks for setting the record straight. 
The 1st tournament appearance I'm looking for is the NCAA Men's Basketball!  Probably not there just yet, but certainly headed in the right direction.  Only thing bad about making the Big Dance is it will probably cost us a coach.

sorry, I know this, but read the post above mine....I was talking about Abilene Christian and all the previous success they had was at the D2 level.